Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sink Taps!

I spent a good part of today showing No 1 son-in-law how to replace the
'tails' on their kitchen sink tap.

It turned into a s*d of a job due to the securing stud/nut being well
and truly stuck.

Why on earth do they make these things so difficult to do! Ideally, you
should be able to remove the tails without removing the tap but the nut
on the tail (at the tap end) is 'buried' in the hole in the sink.

In the end, we had to remove the sink, which turned a quick job into a
far longer one.

Grr....

The bad news is, the tap in the utility area of our garage needs
attention and I expect that will require similar attention!

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
I spent a good part of today showing No 1 son-in-law how to replace the
'tails' on their kitchen sink tap.

It turned into a s*d of a job due to the securing stud/nut being well and
truly stuck.

Why on earth do they make these things so difficult to do! Ideally, you
should be able to remove the tails without removing the tap but the nut on
the tail (at the tap end) is 'buried' in the hole in the sink.

In the end, we had to remove the sink, which turned a quick job into a far
longer one.

Grr....

The bad news is, the tap in the utility area of our garage needs attention
and I expect that will require similar attention!

I have never had a problem doing that .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay laid this down on his screen :
Why on earth do they make these things so difficult to do! Ideally, you
should be able to remove the tails without removing the tap but the nut on
the tail (at the tap end) is 'buried' in the hole in the sink.

In my workshop, I have a self gripping wrench which has a bar coming
down at a right angle. The bottom end (when in use) has a bar to give
leverage to turn it. It is made for tightening and undoing unreachable
top
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Brian Reay laid this down on his screen :
Why on earth do they make these things so difficult to do! Ideally, you
should be able to remove the tails without removing the tap but the
nut on the tail (at the tap end) is 'buried' in the hole in the sink.

In my workshop, I have a self gripping wrench which has a bar coming
down at a right angle. The bottom end (when in use) has a bar to give
leverage to turn it. It is made for tightening and undoing unreachable
top

a very standard plumbing tool

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
I spent a good part of today showing No 1 son-in-law how to replace the
'tails' on their kitchen sink tap.

It turned into a s*d of a job due to the securing stud/nut being well and
truly stuck.

Why on earth do they make these things so difficult to do! Ideally, you
should be able to remove the tails without removing the tap but the nut
on the tail (at the tap end) is 'buried' in the hole in the sink.

In the end, we had to remove the sink, which turned a quick job into a
far longer one.

Grr....

The bad news is, the tap in the utility area of our garage needs
attention and I expect that will require similar attention!

I have never had a problem doing that .......

do you not have a box spanner ?.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
I spent a good part of today showing No 1 son-in-law how to replace the
'tails' on their kitchen sink tap.

It turned into a s*d of a job due to the securing stud/nut being well
and truly stuck.

Why on earth do they make these things so difficult to do! Ideally, you
should be able to remove the tails without removing the tap but the nut
on the tail (at the tap end) is 'buried' in the hole in the sink.

In the end, we had to remove the sink, which turned a quick job into a
far longer one.

Grr....

The bad news is, the tap in the utility area of our garage needs
attention and I expect that will require similar attention!

I have never had a problem doing that .......

do you not have a box spanner ?.....

It's only one nut after all .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles laid this down on his screen :
a very standard plumbing tool

--

I dare say, if you are a plumber lol

Mere mortals who do a bit of occasional DIY plumbing, might have never
come across such a device.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... explained on 23/10/2018 :
do you not have a box spanner ?.....

It would need to slide up the pipe tail to the hex, so would not work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
charles laid this down on his screen :
a very standard plumbing tool

--

I dare say, if you are a plumber lol

Mere mortals who do a bit of occasional DIY plumbing, might have never
come across such a device.

I do occasional very DIY plumbing, but it's so much easier with the right
tools. 40 years ago, I installed our bathroom, 30 years ago - the kitchen.
Since then, it's maintenance.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have never had a problem doing that .......

Coppaslip or even oil on the thread when you install such thinkgs means you
will not get a problem due to things being siezed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2018 18:32, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... explained on 23/10/2018 :
do you not have a box spanner ?.....

It would need to slide up the pipe tail to the hex, so would not work.

Plus, there is no space once it is all in place.

The hot tail nut is totally in the hole, the cold one is on extension
but even then access is difficult.

The holding nut, being corroded, wouldn't move with the leverage you
could apply in the small space. Plus, the nut was so grotty everything
slipped.

Once we got the sink out, it was easier to get some leverage.

It just seems a poor way to design the thing. An outer collar to secure
the tap and nuts on the lower end of extensions would make things far
easier.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

https://www.jobcentreguide.org/claim...-benefit-fraud

https://childsworldamerica.org/anima...o-child-abuse/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2018 18:29, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
charles laid this down on his screen :
a very standard plumbing tool

--

I dare say, if you are a plumber lol

Mere mortals who do a bit of occasional DIY plumbing, might have never
come across such a device.

Indeed. I have a tool for some taps but not this kind. While I've fitted
them before, I've never needed to rework/repair one.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

https://www.jobcentreguide.org/claim...-benefit-fraud

https://childsworldamerica.org/anima...o-child-abuse/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2018 18:51, DerbyBorn wrote:

I have never had a problem doing that .......

Coppaslip or even oil on the thread when you install such thinkgs means you
will not get a problem due to things being siezed.

Unfortunately, whoever installed the taps (probably 20 years back or
more) didn't do that.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

https://www.jobcentreguide.org/claim...-benefit-fraud

https://childsworldamerica.org/anima...o-child-abuse/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Jim GM4DHJ ... explained on 23/10/2018 :
do you not have a box spanner ?.....

It would need to slide up the pipe tail to the hex, so would not work.

I assumed it was a mixer tap as he said tap and not taps ..........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 23/10/2018, Brian Gaff supposed :
NewsReader : Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.3790.1830
Newsgroups : uk.d-i-y

Easier to drill a round hole, than a square one (??)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

They surely punch those holes out. The taps used to have some corner or
raised bits that locked into the corners of the sinks holes allowing one to
do the nuts up without somebody holding them from above.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
on 23/10/2018, Brian Gaff supposed :
NewsReader : Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.3790.1830
Newsgroups : uk.d-i-y

Easier to drill a round hole, than a square one (??)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
on 23/10/2018, Brian Gaff supposed :
NewsReader : Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.3790.1830
Newsgroups : uk.d-i-y

Easier to drill a round hole, than a square one (??)

thought they were stamped out ? .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
They surely punch those holes out. The taps used to have some corner or
raised bits that locked into the corners of the sinks holes allowing one
to do the nuts up without somebody holding them from above.
Brian

there are no standards left when it comes to sinks and sanitary ware like
there used to be,......did you know the building regulations used to ask for
10 inches from the sink up to the taps? .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
They surely punch those holes out. The taps used to have some corner or
raised bits that locked into the corners of the sinks holes allowing one
to do the nuts up without somebody holding them from above.
Brian

there are no standards left when it comes to sinks and sanitary ware like
there used to be,......did you know the building regulations used to ask
for 10 inches from the sink up to the taps? .....

that is 10 inch minimum measured fron the bottom of the sink up to the tap
outlet...bring back the jaw box I say .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2018 21:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
They surely punch those holes out. The taps used to have some corner or
raised bits that locked into the corners of the sinks holes allowing one to
do the nuts up without somebody holding them from above.
Brian

Some come without holes. Some baths certainly do.

I have seen taps with square bases (requiring a square hole) but the
fixing looked to be basically the same as the one today- a lower plate,
a stud, and a nut. Being square wouldn't have helped with the problem.

I fitted a set years ago which had fixed but flexible, copper tails. I
think they had a fixing from above with a removable cover. They were
certainly easy to fit. I seem to recall they were German made.

Anyway, today's job is done. They want a new kitchen in time but have
other rooms to do first.

--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2018 17:59, Brian Reay wrote:
I spent a good part of today showing No 1 son-in-law how to replace the
'tails' on their kitchen sink tap.

It turned into a s*d of a job due to the securing stud/nut being well
and truly stuck.

Why on earth do they make these things so difficult to do! Ideally, you
should be able to remove the tails without removing the tap but the nut
on the tail (at the tap end) is 'buried' in the hole in the sink.

In the end, we had to remove the sink, which turned a quick job into a
far longer one.

Grr....

The bad news is, the tap in the utility area of our garage needs
attention and I expect that will require similar attention!

I hate them too. But why did you need to replace them? I regard them as
"life of tap" items that do let you change the plumbing to them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2018 22:17, newshound wrote:
On 23/10/2018 17:59, Brian Reay wrote:
I spent a good part of today showing No 1 son-in-law how to replace
the 'tails' on their kitchen sink tap.

It turned into a s*d of a job due to the securing stud/nut being well
and truly stuck.

Why on earth do they make these things so difficult to do! Ideally,
you should be able to remove the tails without removing the tap but
the nut on the tail (at the tap end) is 'buried' in the hole in the sink.

In the end, we had to remove the sink, which turned a quick job into a
far longer one.

Grr....

The bad news is, the tap in the utility area of our garage needs
attention and I expect that will require similar attention!

I hate them too. But why did you need to replace them? I regard them as
"life of tap" items that do let you change the plumbing to them.

The tail was leaking- the part where the hose joins to the quick release
fitting. Just a drip but enough to be a problem.

They (daughter/s-i-l) bought house recently and are working there way
around it. They want to replace kitchen in due course but it isn't top
of the list. Repair is to keep them going until it gets there.

Our garage ones must be 30 years old or so- there were in the kitchen
when we bought the house 20+ ago. Look to be an expensive set, kitchen
was quite a fancy make. I think we have the manual/assembly
instructions, the previous owner was very good and left things like
that. If needed, I will replace with a cheap set, it is just a utility
area in the garage.

--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2018 20:08, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Jim GM4DHJ ... explained on 23/10/2018 :
do you not have a box spanner ?.....

It would need to slide up the pipe tail to the hex, so would not work.

I assumed it was a mixer tap as he said tap and not taps ..........

I think there may be some confusion between the nut that fixes the whole
tap in place, and that moulded onto the end of the pipe tails that
connect to the base of the tap.

The fixing nut can be reached with a set of basin box spanners[1], but
they won't help you undo the tail (which to be fair will be very
difficult to get at in situ on many basins). Obviously attacking the
pipe connection to the other end of the tail is usually easier.

[1] Can be assembled in various combinations to reach the retaining nut:

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p16973

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
I spent a good part of today showing No 1 son-in-law how to replace the
'tails' on their kitchen sink tap.

It turned into a s*d of a job due to the securing stud/nut being well
and truly stuck.

Why on earth do they make these things so difficult to do! Ideally, you
should be able to remove the tails without removing the tap but the nut
on the tail (at the tap end) is 'buried' in the hole in the sink.

In the end, we had to remove the sink, which turned a quick job into a
far longer one.

Grr....

The bad news is, the tap in the utility area of our garage needs
attention and I expect that will require similar attention!

Is this a one hole type? I hate those things. Most seem to come lose in
short order. Apart from some older ones with a decent nut fixing.

--
*I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
[...]

says the man who slagged off my 20 year old wallpaper...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/10/2018 20:08, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Jim GM4DHJ ... explained on 23/10/2018 :
do you not have a box spanner ?.....

It would need to slide up the pipe tail to the hex, so would not work.

I assumed it was a mixer tap as he said tap and not taps ..........

I think there may be some confusion between the nut that fixes the whole
tap in place, and that moulded onto the end of the pipe tails that connect
to the base of the tap.

The fixing nut can be reached with a set of basin box spanners[1], but
they won't help you undo the tail (which to be fair will be very difficult
to get at in situ on many basins). Obviously attacking the pipe connection
to the other end of the tail is usually easier.

don't worry about it brian is a bodger and doesn't have the right tools

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
I spent a good part of today showing No 1 son-in-law how to replace the
'tails' on their kitchen sink tap.

It turned into a s*d of a job due to the securing stud/nut being well
and truly stuck.

Why on earth do they make these things so difficult to do! Ideally, you
should be able to remove the tails without removing the tap but the nut
on the tail (at the tap end) is 'buried' in the hole in the sink.

In the end, we had to remove the sink, which turned a quick job into a
far longer one.

Grr....

The bad news is, the tap in the utility area of our garage needs
attention and I expect that will require similar attention!

Is this a one hole type? I hate those things. Most seem to come lose in
short order. Apart from some older ones with a decent nut fixing.

Yes.

The mixer was secured via a stud + nut + horse shoe like plate. The
tails screwed into the bottom of the mixed, with the nut part on the hot
one being buried/hidden in the hole in the sink.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

https://www.jobcentreguide.org/claim...-benefit-fraud

https://childsworldamerica.org/anima...o-child-abuse/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
Is this a one hole type? I hate those things. Most seem to come lose in
short order. Apart from some older ones with a decent nut fixing.

Yes.

The mixer was secured via a stud + nut + horse shoe like plate. The
tails screwed into the bottom of the mixed, with the nut part on the hot
one being buried/hidden in the hole in the sink.

Yup - sounds like one of my pet horrors. ;-) Even when new.

--
*Proofread carefully to see if you any words out or mispeld something *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Brian Reay wrote:

The mixer was secured via a stud + nut + horse shoe like plate. The
tails screwed into the bottom of the mixed, with the nut part on the hot
one being buried/hidden in the hole in the sink.

Yup - sounds like one of my pet horrors. ;-) Even when new.

My own was like that, but fitted one recently for parents and there are
no rigid tails, flexis just screw straight into bottom of the mixer
block, sealing on 'o' rings, only to be hand tightened, so you can do it
at distance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2018 15:27, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Brian Reay wrote:

The mixer was secured via a stud + nut + horse shoe like plate. The
tails screwed into the bottom of the mixed, with the nut part on the hot
one being buried/hidden in the hole in the sink.

Yup - sounds like one of my pet horrors. ;-) Even when new.

My own was like that, but fitted one recently for parents and there are
no rigid tails, flexis just screw straight into bottom of the mixer
block, sealing on 'o' rings, only to be hand tightened, so you can do it
at distance.

Assembling the new tails was easy enough. As you say, they just need to
be hand tight. But to get them out, you need to grip something and that
is the problem.

Had the 'flats' on the nut on the stud been of decent quality/not
rounded, a tube spanner may have done the job, but even that slipped. In
the end, with the sink out, I was able to remove the stud.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

https://www.jobcentreguide.org/claim...-benefit-fraud

https://childsworldamerica.org/anima...o-child-abuse/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

so you didn't have a long box spanner then?.........bodged it then by
removing the sink?....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2018 16:17, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

Learn to read.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

https://www.jobcentreguide.org/claim...-benefit-fraud

https://childsworldamerica.org/anima...o-child-abuse/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
On 24/10/2018 16:17, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

learn plumbing....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
They surely punch those holes out. The taps used to have some corner or
raised bits that locked into the corners of the sinks holes allowing one
to do the nuts up without somebody holding them from above.
Brian

there are no standards left when it comes to sinks and sanitary ware like
there used to be,......did you know the building regulations used to ask
for 10 inches from the sink up to the taps? .....

that is 10 inch minimum measured fron the bottom of the sink up to the tap
outlet...bring back the jaw box I say .......

see?... nobody is interested...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/10/2018 17:59, Brian Reay wrote:
I spent a good part of today showing No 1 son-in-law how to replace the
'tails' on their kitchen sink tap.

It turned into a s*d of a job due to the securing stud/nut being well and
truly stuck.

Why on earth do they make these things so difficult to do! Ideally, you
should be able to remove the tails without removing the tap but the nut
on the tail (at the tap end) is 'buried' in the hole in the sink.

In the end, we had to remove the sink, which turned a quick job into a
far longer one.

Grr....

The bad news is, the tap in the utility area of our garage needs
attention and I expect that will require similar attention!

I hate them too. But why did you need to replace them? I regard them as
"life of tap" items that do let you change the plumbing to them.

The last one I did at a friends static caravan was a casualty of frost...the
mixer casting was cracked and sprayed all over the van.........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

you should have just cut the solid hot and cold copper supply pipes and
fitted new flexable ones to refit once you had used a box spanner to remove
the nut fixing the mixer to the sink......in fact you should have fitted a
new mixer which usually come supplied with short flexable braided tap
connectors....would have saved you removing the sink top.........or you
should just have got a man in ......