Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dashcam

Bought an £11.50 and the results are quite good what budget models do you
guys use and are they any good ...?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
Bought an £11.50 and the results are quite good what budget models do you
guys use and are they any good ...?

My wife uses a Transcend DrivePro 220 which produces fairly good results in
poor light, though as the light falls, the shutter speed has to increase so
number plates become blurred. Any dashcam is only good as long as the
windscreen is clean: I spent a while trying to read a temporary road sign
beside the road which warned of closures - I needed to see where and when -
but when the sign was sharp it was too far away and as it got close enough
to read, it became blurred as it passed the periphery of the camera's
vision. I checked her windscreen and there was a huge smear across it;
clearing that and repeating the test the following day it was easy to read.

I have an SJCam GoPro-like camera which I use as a dashcam in my car. The
low-light response is nowhere near as good, but it's fine in daylight.

Whatever you use, image-stabilisation is essential to avoid vertical blur or
sick-making jolting of the image, due to vibration of the car and bouncing
over potholes and other imperfections in the road surface. You may get some
"rubber image" artefacts from the image stabilisation, but those are
preferable to unstabilised bouncing of the image.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

Just been reading the owners manual of the Hyundai i30 I am considering
buying for the fancy cruise control for long distance trips with all sorts
of
fancy automatic lane following stuff and blind spot detection, but stunned
to find that the damned thing doesn’t have a full set of cameras to help
with
parking in tight spots in carparks, just the much worse beeping things that
attempt to indicate when you are too close to something and it doesn’t have
a fully integrated dashcam using those cameras and the big in dash screen.

Plenty of cars now have reversing cameras, but few have a fully integrated
set of cameras that do everything.

Which brings up another problem, few cars have owners manuals
downloadable for some reason. That’s really the only way you
can get a good idea about the full capability of the car you are
considering buying. The manufacturer's web site can't come
even close to spelling out all that detail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

I find I can't park a car if it doesn't have a boot....trunk ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

Wonder why. I have never had a problem with the hatches,
the Golf and the Getz, or with the Beetle, or with any of
what we call station wagons and you lot call estates or
with utes either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/18 15:47, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Bought an £11.50 and the results are quite good what budget models do you
guys use and are they any good ...?

Blackvue. Not so cheap but very good image quality. Wifi downloads are
its weakness through - very slow, unless the camera has gone to sleep
(ie it's the reading and writing the SDCARD that seems to kaibosh it)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2018 18:52, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/10/18 15:47, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Bought an £11.50 and the results are quite good what budget models do you
guys use and are they any good ...?

Blackvue. Not so cheap but very good image quality. Wifi downloads are
its weakness through - very slow, unless the camera has gone to sleep
(ie it's the reading and writing the SDCARD that seems to kaibosh it)

Kybosh/kibosh..

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

think it is because I drove Hyundai stellars with a boot for 15 years then a
merc 190e for about 17 years...just cant get the hang of estates or
hatcbacks......always leave too much space to the car behind when
parking........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 04:23:44 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

Do you? When will you go on those "long distance trips"? BEFORE 1 and 4 am
every morning, the time you start trolling on these groups? LMAO!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

Likely. I did drive plenty of cars with a boot, but
mostly work cars, not my own personal cars.

just cant get the hang of estates or hatcbacks......always leave too much
space to the car behind when parking........

I don’t even consider it when parallel parking, only when
backing up before driving out of a parallel parked spot.
I just watch in the rear view mirror when backing up.
I can certainly see that a boot does help with that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 05:54:42 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

just cant get the hang of estates or hatcbacks......always leave too much
space to the car behind when parking........

I don¢t even consider it when parallel parking, only when
backing up before driving out of a parallel parked spot.
I just watch in the rear view mirror when backing up.
I can certainly see that a boot does help with that.

I doubt you are even allowed to drive in your old age and senile condition,
senile bigmouth!

--
Java Jive to senile Rot:
You're getting there, it's clear that you've now reached the level of
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Which brings up another problem, few cars have owners manuals
downloadable for some reason. That’s really the only way you
can get a good idea about the full capability of the car you are
considering buying. The manufacturer's web site can't come
even close to spelling out all that detail.

Haha. I thought I was the only one who downloaded manuals for things (cars,
electronic equipment etc) that I'm planning to buy, to check on features and
restrictions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

I don’t even consider it when parallel parking, only when
backing up before driving out of a parallel parked spot.
I just watch in the rear view mirror when backing up.
I can certainly see that a boot does help with that.

I find the most important thing when parallel parking is the passenger's
door mirror, angled to the ground so as to show my rear nearside tyre in
relation to the kerb, so I can see the exact point at which I need to go
from full left lock to full right lock. When parking on the "wrong" side of
the road, I can usually judge my lateral position without needing to use the
driver's door mirror, though I always check, just to be on the safe side.

A reversing camera is useful for judging my position from the car behind
when reversing into a parking space or parallel parking, especially if I
have the bike rack on the back so it sticks out much further that the back
of the car. The problem with the camera on the Honda CR-V is that it very
quickly gets grubby, so all I can see is a smeary mess :-( It's a shame the
windscreen/headlamp washer doesn't also wash/wipe the camera lens ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I don’t even consider it when parallel parking, only when backing up
before driving out of a parallel parked spot. I just watch in the rear
view mirror when backing up. I can certainly see that a boot does help
with that.

I find the most important thing when parallel parking is the passenger's
door mirror, angled to the ground so as to show my rear nearside tyre in
relation to the kerb, so I can see the exact point at which I need to go
from full left lock to full right lock.

Yeah, the i30 does do that and flips the mirrors flat against
the car when you get out to make it easier to walk between
cars parked side by side in big carparks.

But I'd prefer a camera in all 4 corners of the car as well
with that showing you the one closest to the obstruction
so you can use it for parking going in forward into a
parking slot in a bit carpark where the slot is a right
angles to the traffic movement as well. And recording
all those and a couple of other cameras continuously
for a dashcam function and in case of malicious damage
to the parked parked car and for theft of the car too.

Shouldn’t be that hard to add tho, except for using the
main dash screen to display that stuff with auto switching
based on the gearstick position and door movement and
ignition status. Rather it was standard tho.

When parking on the "wrong" side of the road, I can usually judge my
lateral position without needing to use the driver's door mirror, though I
always check, just to be on the safe side.

We arent allowed to park like that although I do quite a bit for
the garage sales which can be quite short of parking places close.
But I normally don’t actually reverse into either, prefer to drive
in forward further away, because that’s quicker and time is off
the essence most of the time with garage sales.

A reversing camera is useful for judging my position from the car behind
when reversing into a parking space or parallel parking, especially if I
have the bike rack on the back so it sticks out much further that the back
of the car. The problem with the camera on the Honda CR-V is that it very
quickly gets grubby, so all I can see is a smeary mess :-( It's a shame
the windscreen/headlamp washer doesn't also wash/wipe the camera lens ;-)

Yeah, I can see that is likely to be a real problem and maybe is why
the i30 doesn’t come with that standard. Might be tricky to do some
lens wiper that works very well. Say a rotating lens that spins against
a pop out bar across the lens. The water spray would be easy.

Interesting diy project.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

Tho I spose it would be more practical to just have the corner cameras
in the lights at the corners and just clean those manually after rain etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

none of that stops wummin drivers hitting you or doors getting flung open
against you or supermarket trollies flying against you when it is
windy......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

Haha. I thought I was the only one who downloaded manuals for things (cars,
electronic equipment etc) that I'm planning to buy, to check on features and
restrictions.

The difficulty there is that they produce one manual for a whole
range of trim and option levels, so you still have to work out
which bits apply to any actual vehicle.

Couldn't work out why my nearside mirror didn't dip for
reversing. Seems you only get that with memory seats.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
NY wrote:

Haha. I thought I was the only one who downloaded manuals for things
(cars,
electronic equipment etc) that I'm planning to buy, to check on features
and
restrictions.

The difficulty there is that they produce one manual for a whole
range of trim and option levels, so you still have to work out
which bits apply to any actual vehicle.

Couldn't work out why my nearside mirror didn't dip for
reversing. Seems you only get that with memory seats.

Chris

my basic poverty level 2012 mustang has none of the gizmos in the manual and
I'm quite happy about that...I mean who needs Sirius XM radio in this
country ......or forty million lighting combinations for the dashboard ...?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2018 21:44, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Which brings up another problem, few cars have owners manuals
downloadable for some reason. Thats really the only way you
can get a good idea about the full capability of the car you are
considering buying. The manufacturer's web site can't come
even close to spelling out all that detail.

Haha. I thought I was the only one who downloaded manuals for things
(cars, electronic equipment etc) that I'm planning to buy, to check on
features and restrictions.

Nope. I do all the time.

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

Sure, but only summary execution of those achieves that and
for some reason that authoritys arent too keen on that approach.

I do the supermarket run after the garage sale run
and those stupid cows are still in bed at that time.

Where I park the car isnt a problem with wind and trolleys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote
NY wrote

Haha. I thought I was the only one who downloaded manuals
for things (cars, electronic equipment etc) that I'm planning to
buy, to check on features and restrictions.

The difficulty there is that they produce one manual for a
whole range of trim and option levels, so you still have to
work out which bits apply to any actual vehicle.

True, but Hyundai is pretty good in that regard with
a very clear table of what options are available with
each sub model of each car.

The ****ers don't do yellow anymore with the i30
but they still do red which still stands out in a bit
carpark full of cars and it wouldn't be hard to have
just the front roof bar with a decent yellow tube
on it to make the car easy to find in a big carpark.

Couldn't work out why my nearside mirror didn't dip for
reversing. Seems you only get that with memory seats.

Since its likely to be the last car I buy unless some fool
writes it off, easily fixed by buying the model with all
the fancy stuff included even if I am unlikely to use
the memory seats much.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

Haha. I thought I was the only one who downloaded manuals for things
(cars,
electronic equipment etc) that I'm planning to buy, to check on features
and
restrictions.

The difficulty there is that they produce one manual for a whole
range of trim and option levels, so you still have to work out
which bits apply to any actual vehicle.

Couldn't work out why my nearside mirror didn't dip for
reversing. Seems you only get that with memory seats.

Chris

my basic poverty level 2012 mustang has none of the gizmos in the manual
and I'm quite happy about that...I mean who needs Sirius XM radio in this
country ......or forty million lighting combinations for the dashboard
...?

I don’t need that stuff, but a fancy cruise control that you can
tell tol stay 100m behind the car in front would be handy.

And one with fully integrated cameras the allowed you to
see where the corners of your car are when parking and
showed you the tow hitch when backing up to the trailer
and which was a full dashcam and theft surveillance
camera system would also be useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

[...]

I really should install my reversing camera before I wipe out all the
paint on my bumper, have no problem with most backing except for backing
up to the trailer to position the hitch over the ball.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 19:20:43 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

none of that stops wummin drivers hitting you or doors getting flung open
against you or supermarket trollies flying against you when it is
windy......

Sure, but only summary execution of those achieves that and
for some reason that authoritys arent too keen on that approach.

I do the supermarket run after the garage sale run
and those stupid cows are still in bed at that time.

Yeah, but who but a complete senile nutter like you gets up between 1 and 4
o'clock in the morning every day, just to be able to continue his trolling
on these groups! BG

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/18 08:07, Chris J Dixon wrote:
NY wrote:

Haha. I thought I was the only one who downloaded manuals for things (cars,
electronic equipment etc) that I'm planning to buy, to check on features and
restrictions.

The difficulty there is that they produce one manual for a whole
range of trim and option levels, so you still have to work out
which bits apply to any actual vehicle.

Couldn't work out why my nearside mirror didn't dip for
reversing. Seems you only get that with memory seats.

Chris

Options I can understand - but trim levels should have their own manual,
in one language. Anything else is lazy compared to the cost of the
product sold.

Ideally the options should be in an appendix and you could mark the ones
that you bought.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

[...]

probably

I find old fashined cruise control to be useless unless traffic is very
quiet...however I find being able to a set speed limiter very good and stops
you getting done for speeding ....had that on my merc c180T very good it
was....why do they produce cruise control without I don't know.....mustang
doesn't have a limier...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Chris J Dixon wrote
NY wrote

[...]

you should have bought a Hyundai stellar in 1986 like I did...very
basic...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 15:47:54 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Bought an £11.50 and the results are quite good what budget models do
you guys use and are they any good ...?

Native (not up-scaled) Full HD (1920 x 1080), 30 fps, low light
performance?

I did have a cheapy "HD" one but the HD was upscaled and low light
performance almost non-existant. Replaced it with a Yi-Cam (approx
£30), which I think has a native resolution above full HD but if you
choose that the frame rate drops. Low light performance isn't bad, at
least you can see the verges into the medium distance on unlit roads
rather than just the bright pool of light immediatly in front of the
car. WiFi but no GPS, bought for picture quality...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 15:47:54 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Bought an £11.50 and the results are quite good what budget models do
you guys use and are they any good ...?

Native (not up-scaled) Full HD (1920 x 1080), 30 fps, low light
performance?

I did have a cheapy "HD" one but the HD was upscaled and low light
performance almost non-existant. Replaced it with a Yi-Cam (approx
£30), which I think has a native resolution above full HD but if you
choose that the frame rate drops. Low light performance isn't bad, at
least you can see the verges into the medium distance on unlit roads
rather than just the bright pool of light immediatly in front of the
car. WiFi but no GPS, bought for picture quality...

You may find that if it doesn't have GPS, and therefore doesn't timestamp
the video with your location and speed, it isn't accepted as proof for an
insurance claim. Some insurance companies will find any excuse to wriggle
out of paying. It is a good idea to leave burned-in timestamps turned on for
this same reason - and keep the clock accurate if it doesn't get updated
from the GPS.

The best thing is for the camera to produce two files: one being the MP4
video file and then other being a GPS location-versus-timestamp file. That
way, suitable software (eg Dashcam Viewer) can plot your track, speed and x,
y, and z forces, making it easy to locate where you were when you went over
that nasty pothole which bent your steering rod or where you had to brake
hard to avoid the nutter who overtook you on the left and then pulled into
the ever-narrowing gap between you and the car you were overtaking.

It is interesting looking at a plot of speed versus time on a motorway: you
can easily see the dead-level bits where cruise control was turned on and
the bits in between where you were driving manually and trying to maintain a
constant speed but were not as constant as the cruise control.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , FMurtz
writes
I really should install my reversing camera before I wipe out all the
paint on my bumper, have no problem with most backing except for
backing up to the trailer to position the hitch over the ball.

The only "proper" manufacturer installed reversing camera that I've seen
in action was pretty useless for that, as it didn't show the tow ball.

I'm sure I've said before that I used to use one of the webcams that is
at right angles to a gooseneck, with the usb fed along the gutter to an
old laptop on the passenger seat. This worked on the vehicles with
straight backs (LR 110 and Disco), but not the current Rangie without
some sort of frame.

In the old boat park this made it easy to cope with the rough ground,
towballs and the pin coupling type and all sorts of different towbar
heights on the various yachts and fishing boats.

The trouble is that backwards dashcams, reversing cams and coupling cams
all need to look different ways.

My best dashcam is still the ddPai. Now working without its internal
battery which suddenly went flat and fat. Excellent picture quality in
all lights, GPS, auto parking mode and magnetic mounting making it easy
to bring into the house to download.
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
NY wrote:

Haha. I thought I was the only one who downloaded manuals for things
(cars,
electronic equipment etc) that I'm planning to buy, to check on features
and
restrictions.

The difficulty there is that they produce one manual for a whole
range of trim and option levels, so you still have to work out
which bits apply to any actual vehicle.

Couldn't work out why my nearside mirror didn't dip for
reversing. Seems you only get that with memory seats.

Options I can understand - but trim levels should have their own manual,
in one language. Anything else is lazy compared to the cost of the product
sold.

Sure, but it would make it harder when reading the manual
to decide which car to buy and which trim level to buy.

Tho I spose you can make a case that few buyers do
that and its better to make it easier for most owners.

Or if you are going to that much trouble with multiple
manuals, might as well have one for the buyers too.

Ideally the options should be in an appendix

I dont agree, it makes more sense to have that
stuff in the relevant chapter, like driving the car.

and you could mark the ones that you bought.

You can do that with the current manual organisation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Peeler" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 19:20:43 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer
Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

none of that stops wummin drivers hitting you or doors getting flung
open
against you or supermarket trollies flying against you when it is
windy......

Sure, but only summary execution of those achieves that and
for some reason that authoritys arent too keen on that approach.

I do the supermarket run after the garage sale run
and those stupid cows are still in bed at that time.

Yeah, but who but a complete senile nutter like you gets up between 1 and
4
o'clock in the morning every day, just to be able to continue his
trolling
on these groups! BG

get over it

Not possible, the pathetic wretch has nothing better to do with its time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Peeler" wrote in message
news
[...]

so I see....very sad...reminds me of our brian reay .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

NY wrote:

[...]

Yeah, that’s why I want something more fancy which allows you
to specify how far behind the car in front you want it to cruise at
where you just use the accelerator to overtake when you decide
to and it then drops back to the cruise again when you take
your foot of the accelerator again after passing.

I do mostly want to use the cruise control in very light traffic on long
distance trips, but it would be best if it worked all the time too.

however I find being able to a set speed limiter very good and stops you
getting done for speeding ....

I want much more than that.

had that on my merc c180T very good it was....why do they produce cruise
control without I don't know.....

Presumably because that’s much cheaper. Its non
trivial to keep track of the current speed limit.

mustang doesn't have a limier...

I prefer to exceed the speed limit but choose
to be selective about when I do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Chris J Dixon wrote
NY wrote

[...]

That’s that the Getz is, the only fancy stuff is electric windows,
electric door mirrors and a decent central locking system.
No cruise control, no bluetooth radio, nothing fancy at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Chris J Dixon wrote
NY wrote

[...]

stellar was RWD and no power steering .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 04:14:01 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Yeah, but who but a complete senile nutter like you gets up between 1 and
4
o'clock in the morning every day, just to be able to continue his
trolling
on these groups! BG

get over it

Not possible, the pathetic wretch has nothing better to do with its time.

Are you actually DENYING that you get up between 1 and 4 o'clock in the
morning, EVERY DAY, just to keep trolling on Usenet because it's YOU who got
nothing better to do with his time, you abnormal obnoxious senile trolling
Ozzie cretin? LOL

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 18:18:16 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Yeah, but who but a complete senile nutter like you gets up between 1
and 4
o'clock in the morning every day, just to be able to continue his
trolling
on these groups! BG

get over it

Not possible, the pathetic wretch has nothing better to do with its time.

so I see....very sad...reminds me of our brian reay .......

You two bleating senile twits need some hankies? LOL

Dashcam install F[_2_] UK diy 81 June 4th 18 10:40 AM
Fixing my Dashcam tim... UK diy 41 November 29th 16 11:19 PM