Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Security cameras

I'm starting to investigate security cameras - the ones that connect to
wifi and will email or text if they detect something untoward. Has
anyone any recommendations based on personal experience?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/18 23:10, wrote:
I'm starting to investigate security cameras - the ones that connect to
wifi and will email or text if they detect something untoward. Has
anyone any recommendations based on personal experience?

https://www.ubnt.com/products/#unifivideo have quite a nice NVR (free
software that runs easily on linux - maybe other things) and does much
of what you are after (it emails at least).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As I recall a number of WiFi cameras had security vulnerabilities which enabled someone to hack them. Would be worth checking.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

wrote in message
I'm starting to investigate security cameras - the ones that connect to
wifi and will email or text if they detect something untoward. Has anyone
any recommendations based on personal experience?

I have a couple of Foscam cameras which are about 4 years old. They do
640x480 (SD) stills and video. Newer cameras will probably be able to do
1920x1080 (HD). The image quality isn't as good as it could be at that
resolution because of compression artefacts. Also they make a loud clonk
whenever they change between visible light and infra-red - which happens
every few minutes in a room if there is bright sunlight outside the window
but the inside is in the shade. They have the standard problem that focus is
different for visible and IR, so you try to focus the image correctly for
light and then find the IR image is a bit blurred.

The motion triggering is good, though I find I have to wind its sensitivity
down to avoid lots of false triggering when the sun comes out and goes in.
I've set it to email five pictures, 1 second apart, when triggered. I've not
investigated recording video.

The pan and tilt (but not focus) can be adjusted remotely over the web -
either within the house or from anywhere on the internet. Make sure you set
a strong password on the cameras if you are exposing them to the internet by
setting port forwarding rules on your router. You can also view live video
over the internet, though that is a bit jerky when viewed remotely if you
have slow internet (specifically, slow *upload* since that is usually the
slower).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes:

As I recall a number of WiFi cameras had security vulnerabilities
which enabled someone to hack them. Would be worth checking.

+1. Not just WiFi, though.

Only today:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/1...mai_cctv_fail/

Don't trust Which:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/1...era_which_wtf/

Pervasive "Peekaboo" vulnerability:
https://www.tenable.com/blog/peekaboo

The usual problem with IoT (Internet of Things) is lack of manufacturer
support. Once you've paid, why should they waste time and effort fixing
your device, when they could be designing a newer, shinier version to
sell you?

--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm starting to investigate security cameras - the ones that connect to
wifi and will email or text if they detect something untoward. Has
anyone any recommendations based on personal experience?

Are you going for multiple cameras or are attracted by pan ,tilt and zoom?
I have Foscam had one that is the latter but that is I can watch wildlife
that comes into the garden live.

For security unless someone is on hand to observing and watching multiple
fixed ones covering the areas you want covered are better. You can bet that
if you only have one or an unattended PTZ any incident will happen out of
view.

Even WiFi ones need power so by the time you have run a power cable you may
as well run one for the video images anyway. With the right type you may be
able to send the power up the data cable.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Alan J. Wylie) writes:

writes:

As I recall a number of WiFi cameras had security vulnerabilities
which enabled someone to hack them. Would be worth checking.

+1. Not just WiFi, though.

Only today:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/1...mai_cctv_fail/

Don't trust Which:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/1...era_which_wtf/

Pervasive "Peekaboo" vulnerability:
https://www.tenable.com/blog/peekaboo

The usual problem with IoT (Internet of Things) is lack of manufacturer
support. Once you've paid, why should they waste time and effort fixing
your device, when they could be designing a newer, shinier version to
sell you?

P.S.

This damning report just in.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/10/...ters-xiongmai/

--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan J. Wylie" wrote in message
writes:

As I recall a number of WiFi cameras had security vulnerabilities
which enabled someone to hack them. Would be worth checking.

+1. Not just WiFi, though.

Only today:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/1...mai_cctv_fail/

Don't trust Which:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/1...era_which_wtf/

Pervasive "Peekaboo" vulnerability:
https://www.tenable.com/blog/peekaboo

The usual problem with IoT (Internet of Things) is lack of manufacturer
support. Once you've paid, why should they waste time and effort fixing
your device, when they could be designing a newer, shinier version to
sell you?

Doesn’t apply to Hue, Arlo, Echo, Apple, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Marland" wrote in message
I'm starting to investigate security cameras - the ones that connect to
wifi and will email or text if they detect something untoward. Has
anyone any recommendations based on personal experience?

Are you going for multiple cameras or are attracted by pan ,tilt and zoom?
I have Foscam had one that is the latter but that is I can watch wildlife
that comes into the garden live.

For security unless someone is on hand to observing and watching multiple
fixed ones covering the areas you want covered are better. You can bet
that
if you only have one or an unattended PTZ any incident will happen out of
view.

Even WiFi ones need power so by the time you have run a power cable you
may
as well run one for the video images anyway.

Dont agree with that. Its much easier to get power from somewhere
near the camera than to run a cable back to the PVR.

With the right type you may be able
to send the power up the data cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 01:58:50 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Even WiFi ones need power so by the time you have run a power cable you
may
as well run one for the video images anyway.

Don’t agree with that. Its much easier to get power from somewhere
near the camera than to run a cable back to the PVR.

That depends on the camera location. I have three ethernet wired
cameras and in only one case was a power supply convenient. I powered
the others, mounted on the soffit and really not convenient for
installing mains power, from a POE switch located in the roof space
where it was convenient to install mains.

With the right type you may be able
to send the power up the data cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Johnson wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Even WiFi ones need power

Arlos don't.

so by the time you have run a power cable you
may as well run one for the video images anyway.

Don't agree with that. Its much easier to get power from somewhere
near the camera than to run a cable back to the PVR.

That depends on the camera location.

No it does not.

I have three ethernet wired cameras and in
only one case was a power supply convenient.

But with wifi cameras, there will always be a source
of power closer than the PVR and its much easier
to run the sort of twin flex that is all that a camera
needs for power than to run the video cable.

I powered the others, mounted on the soffit and
really not convenient for installing mains power,

But there will always be a source of power closer
than the PVR and easier to run a cable to that.

from a POE switch located in the roof space
where it was convenient to install mains.

But easier to have just the mains there.

With the right type you may be able
to send the power up the data cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Oct 2018 11:12:49 GMT, Marland wrote:

Even WiFi ones need power so by the time you have run a power cable you
may as well run one for the video images anyway. With the right type you
may be able to send the power up the data cable.

+1 I can't see the point of WiFi as a) the camera still need a cable
for power b) WiFi can be jammed c) WiFi can be hacked.

Look for PoE (Power over Ethernet) IP cameras. I have Hikvision
DS-2CD2432F-I, I use it in 1920x1080 (Full HD) mode(*) but it can go
up to 2048x1536. I have it set to upload 5 images at 1 second
intervals when something trips its (image based) intruder detection .
This is really an indoor security camera so it has a PIR detection
and IR illumination built in but as mine is in a window looking out I
can't use those facilities.

I very happy with the picture quality and resolution but not so happy
with Hikvision and the firmware/abilty to watch a live stream. It
used to work but either they chaaged the "web components" they use
for streaming or modern browsers don't support or take objection to
it. What ever, the result is live streams don't work.

The DS-2CD2432 is now discontinued but see what the DS-2CD2442 has to
offer.

(*) http://www.howhill.com/weather/webcam.php

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 01:25 am in Australia, and Rot Speed is UP and TROLLING, AGAIN! LMAO!

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 01:25:40 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH troll ****

Let me guess, these threads here are so important to you that you CAN'T
sleep in. So you get up, EVERY DAY, between ONE and FOUR o'clock in the
morning, just to be able to troll in uk.d-i-y? About time some doctor put
you to sleep, for good!

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ONE o'clock am in Australia! And Rot Speed is up and Trolling, ALREADY! LOL

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 01:58:50 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH troll ****

....and the abnormal senile cretin gets up EVERY day at that time of the day
(or rather night)! LMAO!

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default THREE o'clock am in Australia: and Senile Rot is up and Trolling, ALREADY! LOL

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 03:04:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Arlos don't.

The senile "auto-contradictor" just "struck" again!

so by the time you have run a power cable you
may as well run one for the video images anyway.

Don't agree with that. Its much easier to get power from somewhere
near the camera than to run a cable back to the PVR.

That depends on the camera location.

No it does not.

And the senile "auto-contradictor" just "struck", AGAIN! LOL

I have three ethernet wired cameras and in
only one case was a power supply convenient.

But

LOL

I powered the others, mounted on the soffit and
really not convenient for installing mains power,

But

LOL

from a POE switch located in the roof space
where it was convenient to install mains.

But

LOL

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On 10 Oct 2018 11:12:49 GMT, Marland wrote:

Even WiFi ones need power so by the time you have run a power cable you
may as well run one for the video images anyway. With the right type you
may be able to send the power up the data cable.

+1 I can't see the point of WiFi as
a) the camera still need a cable for power

But it is much easier to run a low voltage twin flex to the
nearest power point than a video cable back to the PVR.

b) WiFi can be jammed

But no druggy burglar will bother with a house.

c) WiFi can be hacked.

Trivial to get one which can't be hacked.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/18 11:46, Alan J. Wylie wrote:
writes:

As I recall a number of WiFi cameras had security vulnerabilities
which enabled someone to hack them. Would be worth checking.

+1. Not just WiFi, though.

Only today:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/1...mai_cctv_fail/

Don't trust Which:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/1...era_which_wtf/

Pervasive "Peekaboo" vulnerability:
https://www.tenable.com/blog/peekaboo

The usual problem with IoT (Internet of Things) is lack of manufacturer
support. Once you've paid, why should they waste time and effort fixing
your device, when they could be designing a newer, shinier version to
sell you?

Thats what happens when the cost of support vastly exceeds the product cost.

I knew someone who finally scrapped a 1956 fridge. In 2005

It cost £600 back in the day. More than a small car would.

Such kit was worth fixing and was built to last.

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"samchunk" Wrote in message:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On 10 Oct 2018 11:12:49 GMT, Marland wrote:

Even WiFi ones need power so by the time you have run a power cable you
may as well run one for the video images anyway. With the right type you
may be able to send the power up the data cable.

+1 I can't see the point of WiFi as
a) the camera still need a cable for power

But it is much easier to run a low voltage twin flex to the
nearest power point than a video cable back to the PVR.

If you are using IP camera you don't need to run a cable back to
the PVR, just hook it up to your network, with a POE injector to
power it.

--
Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Even WiFi ones need power so by the time you have run a power cable you
may
as well run one for the video images anyway.

Dont agree with that. Its much easier to get power from somewhere
near the camera than to run a cable back to the PVR.

That depends on the camera location. I have three ethernet wired
cameras and in only one case was a power supply convenient.

Why is it so difficult taping a couple of wires to the ethernet cable to provide a DC power to the camera. It might not be pretty but I found that if I can run an ethernet cable anywhere I could also run a couple more wires for DC power.

I powered
the others, mounted on the soffit and really not convenient for
installing mains power, from a POE switch located in the roof space
where it was convenient to install mains.

When my camera needed to be about 30 metres from my nearest 3 pin mains socket I had a 12V plugin PSU and the 12V wires from that I attachet to the ethernet cable via either insulation tape or cable tie, whatever I could find at the time. put my indoor webcam into a pound shop box, used a 7805 to get the voltage down to 5V and that went to my camera.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes:

[...]

But with what sort of efficiency, As I stoped using my Mac G4 tower
to run my webcam 24/7 as it was running at about 120W, so I brought a mac mini 2010 which by my calculatons would pay for itsself in about 2 years, as it ran at under 5W doing a better job than the 1999 G4.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 23:32:45 +0100 (GMT+01:00)
Chris French wrote:

But it is much easier to run a low voltage twin flex to the
nearest power point than a video cable back to the PVR.

If you are using IP camera you don't need to run a cable back to
the PVR, just hook it up to your network, with a POE injector to
power it.

Which requires a cable to the router. I only have a couple of wired
devices left (and one location where there used to be a PC, which is I
think still cabled) everything else including multiple cameras is
wireless. As I use IR illuminators I don't think PoE would cope anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 15:06:54 +0100, Rob Morley wrote:

As I use IR illuminators I don't think PoE would cope anyway.

802.3af or 802.3at are normally a tad under 13 W at the device but
there variations that go considerably higher.

--
Cheers
Dave.