Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default One for those with a chemical bent.

On 09/10/2018 14:11, Jim K wrote:
Chris Hogg Wrote in message:
On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 23:44:52 +1100, FMurtz wrote:

Jim K wrote:
FMurtz Wrote in message:
I DIY.ed my first batch of Castile soap, (1.5 litres) but I used an old
Bamix blender not thinking ahead. The Bamix blender stalk is made of
aluminium, the soap is made of olive oil and sodium hydroxide so I have
ended up with soap containing maybe an amount of Sodium aluminate.
I am wondering how much, and the danger of using it (seems a pity to
waste 1.5 litres of oil at today's prices.

What is the price of 1.5 litres olive oil "soap grade"?

Without testing you don't know exactly what you'll be putting on
your skin/ in your eyes etc?

Sodium aluminate appears to be an alkali corrosive so you might
start by testing the pH of this batch against another known good
batch?

A bit difficult as it is only a day old and I may leave it a year to
mature and I only have rudimentary gear to test it (ph strips)
apparently you put some water on soap and rub with finger until frothy
then test with strip and castile soap does not froth the same as other
soaps. I just tested an 8 year old cake of turkish made soap with that
method and it came up 8 or 9 apparently home made soap tested with this
method can be from 5 to 10 and is almost never at the lower end.
My batch is higher at the moment but is so soft that I am getting a much
stronger sample.
Apparently there is a test with red cabbage but have not the wherewithall
If I could be bothered I could make a 1% solution which would be more
accurate

I doubt if pH will tell you much. (Snip)

It will help to avoid nasty mistakes with unreacted excess caustic.

So what are the potential risks from aluminium utensils used to
make an alkali human skin product?

The utensils dissolve and some of the soap is wasted as scum.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown Wrote in message:

Jim K wrote:
FMurtz Wrote in message:
[...]

Yes that was my thought when I first suggested testing pH...

So what are the potential risks from aluminium utensils used to
make an alkali human skin product?

The utensils dissolve and some of the soap is wasted as scum.

Hopefully.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----