Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default One for those with a chemical bent.

On 09/10/18 11:34, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 20:00:58 +1100, FMurtz wrote:

I DIY.ed my first batch of Castile soap, (1.5 litres) but I used an old
Bamix blender not thinking ahead. The Bamix blender stalk is made of
aluminium, the soap is made of olive oil and sodium hydroxide so I have
ended up with soap containing maybe an amount of Sodium aluminate.
I am wondering how much, and the danger of using it (seems a pity to
waste 1.5 litres of oil at today's prices.

How badly corroded was the blender stalk afterwards? If, as I suspect,
not very, then not much aluminium has dissolved and the soap will be
quite ok to use. If there was some aluminium dissolved, it will have
reacted with the fatty acids (oleic, linoleic and palmitic) in the
olive oil to give an insoluble precipitate, aluminium oleate etc. It
won't be free sodium aluminate.

+1. It'll just be "ready-made scum". :-)

--

Jeff