Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kettle base standard ?

I have been given the base upon which a fairly modern kettle stood, with its cable and 13A plug. It has a protruding round shrouded socket in the centre, which is to convey power up to its kettle. Tests with a meter show that the base should work, if a working kettle with a compatible hole in its base were put on it.

If the socket is of a standard size, so that most centre-fed kettles of that size will work with it, I am minded to keep the fitting; otherwise, I will dispose of the base or find some other non-electrical use for it.

So: are the centre connections on such bases standardized (and, if known, what is the standard called? URL?)?

--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: dr.s.lartius@ |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 October 2018 23:32:13 UTC+1, wrote:

I have been given the base upon which a fairly modern kettle stood, with its cable and 13A plug. It has a protruding round shrouded socket in the centre, which is to convey power up to its kettle. Tests with a meter show that the base should work, if a working kettle with a compatible hole in its base were put on it.

If the socket is of a standard size, so that most centre-fed kettles of that size will work with it, I am minded to keep the fitting; otherwise, I will dispose of the base or find some other non-electrical use for it.

So: are the centre connections on such bases standardized (and, if known, what is the standard called? URL?)?

Sounds like you have a long list of things you should throw away. Sometimes the space is of more value than the item.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Oct 2018 15:32:11 -0700, dr.s.lartius wrote:

I have been given the base upon which a fairly modern kettle stood, with
its cable and 13A plug. It has a protruding round shrouded socket in
the centre, which is to convey power up to its kettle. Tests with a
meter show that the base should work, if a working kettle with a
compatible hole in its base were put on it.

If the socket is of a standard size, so that most centre-fed kettles of
that size will work with it, I am minded to keep the fitting; otherwise,
I will dispose of the base or find some other non-electrical use for it.

So: are the centre connections on such bases standardized (and, if
known, what is the standard called? URL?)?

They do seem to have standardised these circular kettle docking bases
over the past decade so if you're planning on buying a new CookWorks 3KW
jug kettle from the likes of Argos for around a tenner some time soon to
replace your existing incompatible kettle, it might be worth holding onto.

However, in all honesty, there's little to go wrong with these docking
bases so hanging onto a 'spare' on the off chance it might prove useful
in the not too distant future will just add one more item of clutter to
what I imagine is an already growing pile of "Things that might be worth
keeping hold of".

If you're planning on buying a potentially compatible kettle in the next
fortnight or so, you may as well hang onto it until you can at least
confirm its usefulness as a 'spare'. If it does prove to be incompatible,
you can then at least dispose of it without any further thought of its
potential usefulness going to waste. :-)

Unless you're particularly well organised (anal) about how you squirrel
away such 'useful spares', the problem is tracking them down when,
typically many years later, the need to retrieve one finally arises.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good wrote:
[...]

How is anyone going to be able to buy a kettle that *isnt* supplied with
its own new base?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No idea what its called, but they do seem to be standard as a Moorphy
Richards fitted a Swan, both Jugs, thing is I was told that a pillar box red
base and alight blue kettle made them puke. I don't care.
The other issue is that the outside can be a different design looking a bit
naff as well.
I do wish that Jug kettle makers gave you about another half metre of mains
cable though. Its far too short as it is in my view, and being so thick is
a safety hazard able to tip over stuff if its a stretch to the socket.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
I have been given the base upon which a fairly modern kettle stood, with its
cable and 13A plug. It has a protruding round shrouded socket in the
centre, which is to convey power up to its kettle. Tests with a meter show
that the base should work, if a working kettle with a compatible hole in its
base were put on it.

If the socket is of a standard size, so that most centre-fed kettles of that
size will work with it, I am minded to keep the fitting; otherwise, I will
dispose of the base or find some other non-electrical use for it.

So: are the centre connections on such bases standardized (and, if known,
what is the standard called? URL?)?

--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: dr.s.lartius@ |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
No idea what its called, but they do seem to be standard as a Moorphy
Richards fitted a Swan, both Jugs, thing is I was told that a pillar box
red base and alight blue kettle made them puke. I don't care.
The other issue is that the outside can be a different design looking a
bit naff as well.
I do wish that Jug kettle makers gave you about another half metre of
mains cable though. Its far too short as it is in my view, and being so
thick is a safety hazard able to tip over stuff if its a stretch to the
socket.

Not normally a problem with those kettles that go on a base.

wrote in message
I have been given the base upon which a fairly modern kettle stood, with
its cable and 13A plug. It has a protruding round shrouded socket in the
centre, which is to convey power up to its kettle. Tests with a meter
show that the base should work, if a working kettle with a compatible hole
in its base were put on it.

If the socket is of a standard size, so that most centre-fed kettles of
that size will work with it, I am minded to keep the fitting; otherwise, I
will dispose of the base or find some other non-electrical use for it.

So: are the centre connections on such bases standardized (and, if known,
what is the standard called? URL?)?

--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: dr.s.lartius@ |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good has brought this to us :
Unless you're particularly well organised (anal) about how you squirrel
away such 'useful spares', the problem is tracking them down when,
typically many years later, the need to retrieve one finally arises.

I'm rather obsessive about having and keeping spares...

When a new small appliance is bought, to replace an older item reaching
end of life, I keep the old one as a spare. I have an old spare kettle,
toaster and coffee machine. These are all kept together in a top
cupboard. Jean managed to mislay the coffee maker's filter a few weeks
ago (???). No problem I had an identicle machine in the cupboard so was
able to borrow that one, until it surfaced.

I keep a spare 3-port valve actuator for the heating system, ready to
fit, as that is the most common failure on our heating system - ready
to plug in. I have lots of copper pipe, various fittings solder, flux
and blow lamps. Lots of cable and flex, nuts and bolts, wood and steel.
Spare IC's, transistors, caps, diodes etc..

I rarely have to wait until the shops open, to carry out a quick minor
repair. Nowt wrong with keeping a few spares
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff explained :
No idea what its called, but they do seem to be standard as a Moorphy
Richards fitted a Swan, both Jugs, thing is I was told that a pillar box red
base and alight blue kettle made them puke. I don't care.
The other issue is that the outside can be a different design looking a bit
naff as well.
I do wish that Jug kettle makers gave you about another half metre of mains
cable though. Its far too short as it is in my view, and being so thick is a
safety hazard able to tip over stuff if its a stretch to the socket.

Kettles, toasters and coffee maker leads are made deliberately short,
so you cannot catch the excess lead and drag the boiling hot water over
onto you. It shouldn't be a stretch to a normal over worktop socket. We
have ten outlets above the kitchen worktop, plus several at low level.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 03:03:43 GMT, Johnny B Good wrote:

However, in all honesty, there's little to go wrong with these docking
bases so hanging onto a 'spare' on the off chance it might prove useful

Moderm kettle base mechanisiums are better, when you lift the kettle
the main kettle contacts are tripped open or the supply to the base
connector is disconected by proper contacts. On early ones this
didn't happen and if you lifted/fitted the kettle with the switch on
the on position the switching was done by the base to kettle slip
rings and the consequent arcing, normally around the same place,
knackered them.

As for keeping the base, probably not worth it as a spare. But
stripping it for copper and brass and shoving those bits into large
jars to weigh in at some future date has some cash value.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 09:14:30 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

Hear hear. SWMBO is now disappointed if I don't have a spare for
something!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 09:20:15 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Brian Gaff explained :
[...]

And many have a cable tidy in the base, for excess cable. I use that to
keep the visible cable as short as possible.

Conversely, you might find that there *is* extra cable waiting to be
liberated...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 18:36:26 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Not

Of COURSE, senile idiot! LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2018 07:57, Tim+ wrote:
Johnny B Good wrote:
[...]

And, I would have thought, the base is the least likely part to go wrong.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk laid this down on his screen :
Even now, I've got stuff in boxes that I *know* will never be used ...

As have I. Every so often I have a drastic sort out of obvious surplus
spares, surplus manuals, books and clothes etc..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Oct 2018 09:01:59 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Hear hear. SWMBO is now disappointed if I don't have a spare for
something!

Similar here, if something fails they expect if fixed within 24
hours. Yet I still get moaned at for having too much "junk".

Overlord of the Stuffed Attic

If it moves, I'll keep it.
If it stands still, I'll keep it.
If I want it, it's up there somewhere.
If I've not used it yet, it's not been kept long enough.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 10:13:01 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

====snip====

So: are the centre connections on such bases standardized (and, if
known, what is the standard called? URL?)?

====snip====

However, in all honesty, there's little to go wrong with these
docking
bases so hanging onto a 'spare' on the off chance it might prove
useful in the not too distant future will just add one more item of
clutter to what I imagine is an already growing pile of "Things that
might be worth keeping hold of".

====snip====

How is anyone going to be able to buy a kettle that *isnt* supplied
with its own new base?

And, I would have thought, the base is the least likely part to go
wrong.

Nice to know I'm not alone in making that very point. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly with that philosophy but I thought I'd offer
you the benefit of my experience of hoarding "Useful Spares" and give you
a way by which you could throw away the spare base without any misgivings
as to its potential (imminent purchase of a modern cordless jug kettle
which just might happen to be compatible).

If it proves to be incompatible with the new kettle, problem solved -
just throw it out! If otoh, it *is* compatible, then despite the
ruggedness of the supplied base being such that it'll outlast the kettle
it came with, then at least, if you do decide to hang onto it as a spare
(against your better judgement imho), it does have the charm of not
taking up as much shelf space as a whole electric kettle (although it'll
consume a significant amount of space in terms of boxes of electronic
components and the like - your call).

I've hoarded the previous cordless jug kettle (and its base), against
SWMBI's wishes but that at least uses exactly the same base (except it's
black rather than white). I *think* I finally slung the previous
"Emergency Spare Kettle" (not cordless) as a concession to my SWMBI's
sensibilities (but I can't swear to that for certain).

It's bad enough hanging onto stuff that might be a useful spare for
stuff you already possess but, if it's a speculative spare for something
you might purchase in the future, I think you'd be better off just simply
getting rid of it or possibly scrapping it for small parts that you might
be able to repurpose.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2018 10:13, Max Demian wrote:
On 07/10/2018 07:57, Tim+ wrote:
Johnny B Good wrote:
On Sat, 06 Oct 2018 15:32:11 -0700, dr.s.lartius wrote:

I have been given the base upon which a fairly modern kettle stood,
with
its cable and 13A plug.Â* It has a protruding round shrouded socket in
the centre, which is to convey power up to its kettle.Â* Tests with a
meter show that the base should work, if a working kettle with a
compatible hole in its base were put on it.

If the socket is of a standard size, so that most centre-fed kettles of
that size will work with it, I am minded to keep the fitting;
otherwise,
I will dispose of the base or find some other non-electrical use for
it.

So: are the centre connections on such bases standardized (and, if
known, what is the standard called? URL?)?

Â* They do seem to have standardised these circular kettle docking bases
over the past decade so if you're planning on buying a new CookWorks 3KW
jug kettle from the likes of Argos for around a tenner some time soon to
replace your existing incompatible kettle, it might be worth holding
onto.

Â* However, in all honesty, there's little to go wrong with these docking
bases so hanging onto a 'spare' on the off chance it might prove useful
in the not too distant future will just add one more item of clutter to
what I imagine is an already growing pile of "Things that might be worth
keeping hold of".

Â* If you're planning on buying a potentially compatible kettle in the
next
fortnight or so, you may as well hang onto it until you can at least
confirm its usefulness as a 'spare'. If it does prove to be
incompatible,
you can then at least dispose of it without any further thought of its
potential usefulness going to waste. :-)

Â* Unless you're particularly well organised (anal) about how you
squirrel
away such 'useful spares', the problem is tracking them down when,
typically many years later, the need to retrieve one finally arises.

How is anyone going to be able to buy a kettle that *isnt* supplied with
its own new base?

And, I would have thought, the base is the least likely part to go wrong.

Hence the availability of a spare one without a matching kettle one
presumes!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 09:42:11 +0100 (BST)
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

As for keeping the base, probably not worth it as a spare. But
stripping it for copper and brass and shoving those bits into large
jars to weigh in at some future date has some cash value.

I have maybe 30 boxes (large shoe box size) of PC components I no
longer used, that I sorted and labelled years ago but have hardly had
need of since - stuff like video accelerators (remember them?) 10baseT
networking gear, dial-up modems, CPUs, TV cards. I should salvage the
gold content (or give then to someone who will) but they're all usable
(in some strange scenario) so I can't throw them away ... :-\

I expect need for house space will win in the end, or I'll build a shed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 20181013165945.4d4b2dfa@Mars, Rob Morley
writes
I have maybe 30 boxes (large shoe box size) of PC components I no
longer used, that I sorted and labelled years ago but have hardly had
need of since - stuff like video accelerators (remember them?) 10baseT
networking gear, dial-up modems, CPUs, TV cards. I should salvage the
gold content (or give then to someone who will) but they're all usable
(in some strange scenario) so I can't throw them away ... :-\

I expect need for house space will win in the end, or I'll build a
shed.

House space and circumstances have won here, but it's still a nightmare.
I have all of the above, plus bags of isdn adapters, isa sound \nd other
cards.

I've tried to find a scrappie who can recover the gold etc, and found a
local organisation who had developed techniques for hi-tech recycling,
but that all seems to have fizzled out. Somewhere down south was
mentioned on here some time ago, but I haven't been able to find the
reference.

And I haven't really started on the shed, full of unstarted or abandoned
projects, yet.
--
Bill

---