Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Digital scales

On 03/10/2018 09:53, Andew Jones wrote:

More fool you. It is trivial to check your own bathroom scales with
a know fixed weight.

Which are possibly optimised for accuracy at or around the average
weight of a human and not, say, at a few kg.

Although it helps to have accuracy, people weighing themselves on
bathroom scales shouldn't be relying on one measurement. It wouldn't be
unusual for someones weight to change by a couple of kg during the day
or overnight depending on how much fluid/food consumed and ejected.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 03/10/2018 09:53, Andew Jones wrote:

More fool you. It is trivial to check your own bathroom scales with
a know fixed weight.

Which are possibly optimised for accuracy at or around the average weight
of a human and not, say, at a few kg.

Although it helps to have accuracy, people weighing themselves on bathroom
scales shouldn't be relying on one measurement. It wouldn't be unusual for
someones weight to change by a couple of kg during the day or overnight
depending on how much fluid/food consumed and ejected.

It is nothing like a couple of kg when you weigh yourself
in the same state at the same time every day, say just after
you have got up and had a ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 18:53:11 +1000, Andew Jones, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

Irrelevant to bathroom scales.

Now also an expert in bathroom scales, you self-opinionated senile asshole?
LOL

--
Cursitor Doom about Rot Speed:
"The man is a conspicuous and unashamed ignoramus."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 19:21:12 +1000, Andew Jones, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

Although it helps to have accuracy, people weighing themselves on bathroom
scales shouldn't be relying on one measurement. It wouldn't be unusual for
someones weight to change by a couple of kg during the day or overnight
depending on how much fluid/food consumed and ejected.

It is nothing like a couple of kg when you weigh yourself
in the same state at the same time every day, say just after
you have got up and had a ****.

That's not what he said, you abnormal "argumentative asshole"!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 10:02:31 +0100, Andew Jones, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

You need a hard flat surface!
The carpet is acting like a spring and is sharing the force with the
strain gauges in the scale, that's why you get a lower reading.

ISTR a pair of bathroom/bedroom scales that came with optional carpet
feet to concentrate the force into for smaller 'points' to reduce that
effect

Unless your senility is playing tricks on you again, senile Rot!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Graham. wrote:

Bill wrote:

item weights were all over the place.

You need a hard flat surface!
The carpet is acting like a spring and is sharing the force with the
strain gauges in the scale, that's why you get a lower reading.

ISTR a pair of bathroom/bedroom scales that came with optional carpet
feet to concentrate the force into for smaller 'points' to reduce that
effect

My current theory about my observations with my scales is as follows:

The pile, although thin, on my carpet can be felt to move slightly
sideways when pressed with a finger.
My scales have 4 feet and on the carpet the body of the scales is
supported only by the 4 feet, not by the body itself (paper can be slid
underneath).
When the 4 feet press on the carpet, the downward force resolves into
the vertical force and the force sideways to deform the carpet. The
scales are measuring the downward force via the feet and not the
sideways force, hence the much lower reading on carpet than on the flat
surface.

Whether this is right or wrong, I am now happy that I think I understand
the effect. Tiny pointy feet or my tile under the scales making them
accurate seem to fit with this theory.
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 10:11:18 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 03/10/2018 09:53, Andew Jones wrote:

More fool you. It is trivial to check your own bathroom scales with
a know fixed weight.

Which are possibly optimised for accuracy at or around the average
weight of a human and not, say, at a few kg.

Although it helps to have accuracy, people weighing themselves on
bathroom scales shouldn't be relying on one measurement. It wouldn't be
unusual for someones weight to change by a couple of kg during the day
or overnight depending on how much fluid/food consumed and ejected.

When I used to retain a lot of liquid in my lower legs I'd need to **** 3 or
4 times during the night. One night, including a crap first thing, I 'lost'
3kg (I didn't go looking for it.
On the up side, I could sometimes go 8 - 9 hrs. during the day!
If I had the space I'd get a beam balance - best method IMO.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/18 10:11, alan_m wrote:
On 03/10/2018 09:53, Andew Jones wrote:

More fool you. It is trivial to check your own bathroom scales with
a know fixed weight.

Which are possibly optimised for accuracy at or around the average
weight of a human and not, say, at a few kg.

Although it helps to have accuracy, people weighing themselves on
bathroom scales shouldn't be relying on one measurement. It wouldn't be
unusual for someones weight to change by a couple of kg during the day
or overnight depending on how much fluid/food consumed and ejected.

My scales are on tiles. I can get 2kg variation depending on how I
stand. The doctors scales make me 4kg heavier anyway

I spent a long time looking at reviews for scales. My conclusion is that
4 load cells or teh mehacnical equivalent NEVER works reliabley and that
the only real way to to weigh yourself is on a lever arm scale.

--
€œThe ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.€

Herbert Spencer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/18 16:48, PeterC wrote:
If I had the space I'd get a beam balance - best method IMO.

+9999

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andew Jones expressed precisely :
Mine were fairly cheap ones, but I check and compare them against expensive
calibrated ones, when ever I get the opportunity and find them to be spot
on.

How do you actually do that check ?

For instance the surgery scales are supposed to be of known quality and
accuracy, note a reading from those and wearing the same kit, check
your bathroom scales.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andew Jones laid this down on his screen :
More fool you. It is trivial to check your own bathroom scales with
a know fixed weight.

What known fixed weight have you in mind?

I am a good fixed weight and easily transportable
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/18 22:01, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andew Jones expressed precisely :
Mine were fairly cheap ones, but I check and compare them against
expensive calibrated ones, when ever I get the opportunity and find
them to be spot on.

How do you actually do that check ?

For instance the surgery scales are supposed to be of known quality and
accuracy, note a reading from those and wearing the same kit, check your
bathroom scales.

Class (iii) is the standard grade of medically approved scales IIRC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 18:56:16 +1000, "Andew Jones"
wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 01/10/18 18:38, Graham. wrote:

You need a hard flat surface!
The carpet is acting like a spring and is sharing the force with the
strain gauges in the scale, that's why you get a lower reading.

It's not so much sharing forces (unless the carpet is so thick the box is
actually being supported by it) - it's a facet of cheap scales.

The scale box, not being properly supported will twist and the internal
mechanism probably only has one sensor with a lever arrangement and relies
on a solid base and being level to remain accurate.

Even my medical grade Seca scales demand being levelled (and have a bubble
on to assist).

You could construct a set of scales with 3 legs, gauges on each and a top
plate that would in theory be accurate on any surface as long as the top
plate remains clear of any carpet pile.

But no one does that.

There must be a reason why no one does that.

The reason being that it would be difficult to stand on without
tipping unless the platform was enormous.

You could try putting a square of plywood on top of your luxurious
carpet for the scales to stand on.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Andew Jones laid this down on his screen :
More fool you. It is trivial to check your own bathroom scales with
a know fixed weight.

What known fixed weight have you in mind?

Anything you like like a big suitcase you fill with
something that doesn't change in weight over
time like bricks.

I am a good fixed weight

No you arent. Your weight changed with what you
eat and crap and your weight changes over time. If
it didn't, there would be no point in bathroom scales.

and easily transportable

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 16:12:22 +0100, Bill wrote:

In message , fred
writes
I made a small platform with 4 spikes screwed into each corner. They
pierce the carpet and alow the scales contact the hard surface
underneath

Well, my test this morning seemed to show that all you needed was the
hard, flat platform. My tile just sat on the carpet and the scales
placed on it read correctly.

On my scales, the transducer feet project only about 3mm below their
surrounding housing, much less than a typical carpet pile.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 08:43:24 +1000, Andew Jones, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

FLUSH yet more senile troll ****

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/18 23:48, Dave W wrote:
On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 16:12:22 +0100, Bill wrote:

In message , fred
writes
I made a small platform with 4 spikes screwed into each corner. They
pierce the carpet and alow the scales contact the hard surface
underneath

Well, my test this morning seemed to show that all you needed was the
hard, flat platform. My tile just sat on the carpet and the scales
placed on it read correctly.

On my scales, the transducer feet project only about 3mm below their
surrounding housing, much less than a typical carpet pile.

^^^ This.

It's almost as if scale designers are unaware of the existence of carpet
in the European world (carpeted floors are not popular in China for
example, but even a Chinese designer *ought* to be aware of the problem
for a global market)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andew Jones wrote :
No you arent. Your weight changed with what you
eat and crap and your weight changes over time. If
it didn't, there would be no point in bathroom scales.

I doubt my weight varies by that much, in a five minute trip back from
the surgery.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andew Jones used his keyboard to write :
Anything you like like a big suitcase you fill with
something that doesn't change in weight over
time like bricks.

I cannot see how that really helps, apart from being able to check the
scales for day to day variations. It is also quite cumbersome to have a
heavy suitcase around.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 03/10/18 23:48, Dave W wrote:
On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 16:12:22 +0100, Bill wrote:

In message , fred
writes
I made a small platform with 4 spikes screwed into each corner. They
pierce the carpet and alow the scales contact the hard surface
underneath

Well, my test this morning seemed to show that all you needed was the
hard, flat platform. My tile just sat on the carpet and the scales
placed on it read correctly.

On my scales, the transducer feet project only about 3mm below their
surrounding housing, much less than a typical carpet pile.

^^^ This.

It's almost as if scale designers are unaware of the existence of carpet
in the European world (carpeted floors are not popular in China for
example, but even a Chinese designer *ought* to be aware of the problem
for a global market)

They mostly aren't DESIGNED in China.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 22:01:50 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Andew Jones expressed precisely :
Mine were fairly cheap ones, but I check and compare them against expensive
calibrated ones, when ever I get the opportunity and find them to be spot
on.

How do you actually do that check ?

For instance the surgery scales are supposed to be of known quality and
accuracy, note a reading from those and wearing the same kit, check
your bathroom scales.

By the time that I get home I'm usually up to an hour's walking lighter and
grub and 3 pints heavier.
The sacles in the hospital add about 2.5kg; I will have sweated a bit by the
time that I'm there and also size 13 trail shoes + clothes + contents of
pockets...
I asked for my height to be checked: 6' 4". I knew I was no longer (!) that,
so I'll measure the thickness of the shoes when I can find the digital
vernier tuit. When she said the height I said 1m 93, she looked 1m 93.2!
Precision exceeding accuracy - rucsack, walk to the pub - cheerio microns!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 17:36:32 +1000, Andew Jones, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

^^^ This.

It's almost as if scale designers are unaware of the existence of carpet
in the European world (carpeted floors are not popular in China for
example, but even a Chinese designer *ought* to be aware of the problem
for a global market)

They mostly aren't DESIGNED in China.

Define "mostly", you endlessly driveling, self-opinionated, senile
wisenheimer!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/18 08:36, Andew Jones wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

It's almost as if scale designers are unaware of the existence of
carpet in the European world (carpeted floors are not popular in China
for example, but even a Chinese designer *ought* to be aware of the
problem for a global market)

They mostly aren't DESIGNED in China.

Hence the "evan a", you know, covering the arguable edge case.

A European designer (well some Europeans) *really* ought to know about
carpets and otherwise soft flooring.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Andew Jones used his keyboard to write :
Anything you like like a big suitcase you fill with
something that doesn't change in weight over
time like bricks.

I cannot see how that really helps, apart from being able to check the
scales for day to day variations.

That's what it does, particularly when alternated with
you on the scales, so it can't fudge what it displays so
that doesn't appear to vary, when in fact it does vary.

It is also quite cumbersome to have a
heavy suitcase around.

Nope.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

It's almost as if scale designers are unaware of the existence of carpet
in the European world (carpeted floors are not popular in China for
example, but even a Chinese designer *ought* to be aware of the problem
for a global market)

They mostly aren't DESIGNED in China.

Hence the "evan a", you know, covering the arguable edge case.

There is no edge case with where the designer is.

A European designer (well some Europeans) *really* ought to know about
carpets and otherwise soft flooring.

Of course they do.

And they also know that few european BATHROOMS are carpeted too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote :
By the time that I get home I'm usually up to an hour's walking lighter and
grub and 3 pints heavier.

The route from my surgery, to home is bereft of hostelries :'(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

It's almost as if scale designers are unaware of the existence of
carpet in the European world (carpeted floors are not popular in
China for example, but even a Chinese designer *ought* to be aware of
the problem for a global market)

They mostly aren't DESIGNED in China.

Hence the "evan a", you know, covering the arguable edge case.

A European designer (well some Europeans) *really* ought to know about
carpets and otherwise soft flooring.

Most of these cheap scales are based on a sheet of glass to which the
feet are bonded. The longer the feet and any sideways movement when you
mount the scales the more chance that the bonding will fail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 19:28:11 +1000, Andew Jones, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

I cannot see how that really helps, apart from being able to check the
scales for day to day variations.

That's what it does, particularly when alternated with
you on the scales, so it can't fudge what it displays so
that doesn't appear to vary, when in fact it does vary.

You have to account for the fact that HE is not senile like you, Rot!

It is also quite cumbersome to have a
heavy suitcase around.

Nope.

Idiot!

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 19:35:49 +1000, Andew Jones, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

Hence the "evan a", you know, covering the arguable edge case.

There is no edge case with where the designer is.

There's clearly a mental case wherever you show up, senile Rot!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

It's almost as if scale designers are unaware of the existence of
carpet in the European world (carpeted floors are not popular in
China for example, but even a Chinese designer *ought* to be aware
of the problem for a global market)

They mostly aren't DESIGNED in China.

Hence the "evan a", you know, covering the arguable edge case.

Carpets are uncommon in China. Ergo a designer there may not think of
that case.

You really are Rod aren't you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

It's almost as if scale designers are unaware of the existence of
carpet in the European world (carpeted floors are not popular in
China for example, but even a Chinese designer *ought* to be aware
of the problem for a global market)

They mostly aren't DESIGNED in China.

Hence the "evan a", you know, covering the arguable edge case.

Carpets are uncommon in China. Ergo a designer there may not think of
that case.

You really are Rod aren't you?

yes he is. You should be able to spot Rod nyms faster than that by now! It's an essential diy skill.