Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default How is this brass strip between floor tiles and carpet fixed down?

Please look at these two pics:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/br...ider_strip.jpg
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/br...p_close-up.jpg

This brass strip is what the builder put in when the house was being
built 15 years ago. It joins the kitchen ceramic floor tiles to the
"dining area" carpet.

How is this strip fixed down? I cannot see whether there are screws
holding it down or whether it is somehow sprung into place.

The close-up shows the strip lifted slightly. That is, I can lift it
~somewhat~ but then it won't come up any more unless I were to use
undue force.

What kind of brass strip are we looking at here? The internet, of
course, has dozens of pictures, but I'm flying blind here so I don't
know what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/18 15:50, MM wrote:
Please look at these two pics:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/br...ider_strip.jpg
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/br...p_close-up.jpg

This brass strip is what the builder put in when the house was being
built 15 years ago. It joins the kitchen ceramic floor tiles to the
"dining area" carpet.

How is this strip fixed down? I cannot see whether there are screws
holding it down or whether it is somehow sprung into place.

The close-up shows the strip lifted slightly. That is, I can lift it
~somewhat~ but then it won't come up any more unless I were to use
undue force.

What kind of brass strip are we looking at here? The internet, of
course, has dozens of pictures, but I'm flying blind here so I don't
know what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

MM

It looks to me like it may be a bodge to cover different levels and the
strip is fitted the wrong way round. eg the tiles going under the flange
where the carpet should go and the carpet running under the whole thing.
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
Please look at these two pics:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/br...ider_strip.jpg
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/br...p_close-up.jpg

This brass strip is what the builder put in when the house was being
built 15 years ago. It joins the kitchen ceramic floor tiles to the
"dining area" carpet.

How is this strip fixed down? I cannot see whether there are screws
holding it down or whether it is somehow sprung into place.

The close-up shows the strip lifted slightly. That is, I can lift it
~somewhat~ but then it won't come up any more unless I were to use
undue force.

What kind of brass strip are we looking at here? The internet, of
course, has dozens of pictures, but I'm flying blind here so I don't
know what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

If you lift the carpet youll almost certainly see that its tacked or
screwed down through a flange that protrudes under the carpet.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://goo.gl/images/SoKjtv

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 15:59:14 +0100, TimW wrote:

On 24/09/18 15:50, MM wrote:
[...]

The carpet area is definitely lower than the tiles, that's for sure.
But the question still remains, how is the strip held down? What kind
of replacement strip could I use? I've seen pics of wooden strips.
Would one of those be suitable?

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On 24 Sep 2018 15:07:51 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

Ah, okay. The brass one in this pic (linked from your URL above) looks
identical to mine:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/N2IAA...hPK/s-l300.jpg

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 24 September 2018 15:50:22 UTC+1, MM wrote:
Please look at these two pics:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/br...ider_strip.jpg
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/br...p_close-up.jpg

This brass strip is what the builder put in when the house was being
built 15 years ago. It joins the kitchen ceramic floor tiles to the
"dining area" carpet.

How is this strip fixed down? I cannot see whether there are screws
holding it down or whether it is somehow sprung into place.

The close-up shows the strip lifted slightly. That is, I can lift it
~somewhat~ but then it won't come up any more unless I were to use
undue force.

What kind of brass strip are we looking at here? The internet, of
course, has dozens of pictures, but I'm flying blind here so I don't
know what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

MM

It's probably screwed down.
The screw heads are under the tiles.
A bit naughty because the tiles would have to come up to get at the screw heads.

It's possible that the flange has just been pushed into the tile cement (no screws) while it was soft.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

On 24 Sep 2018 15:07:51 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

https://goo.gl/images/SoKjtv

Ah, okay. The brass one in this pic (linked from your URL above) looks
identical to mine:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/N2IAA...hPK/s-l300.jpg

So, what do you see if you lift the carpet away from the strip?

The possibilities for its fixing are influenced by the floor you
have underneath. If timber, then screws, or even nails, might be
expected. A solid floor might have prompted the use of some form
of adhesive.

I once had a house with a solid floor where the carpet bar had
obviously come adrift having been glued down. The previous owner
had just put a long screw through it, but this appeared to have
penetrated a damp membrane, so a bit of digging out and epoxy
dribbling was called for.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/18 15:50, MM wrote:
Please look at these two pics:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/br...ider_strip.jpg
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/br...p_close-up.jpg

This brass strip is what the builder put in when the house was being
built 15 years ago. It joins the kitchen ceramic floor tiles to the
"dining area" carpet.

How is this strip fixed down? I cannot see whether there are screws
holding it down or whether it is somehow sprung into place.

The close-up shows the strip lifted slightly. That is, I can lift it
~somewhat~ but then it won't come up any more unless I were to use
undue force.

What kind of brass strip are we looking at here? The internet, of
course, has dozens of pictures, but I'm flying blind here so I don't
know what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

MM

In my case the strip is a LOT wider than the top section and its wide
flanges have nails or screws to hold it down. Think flat bottomed rail
cross section...

In practice the carpet goes under the lip of the centre section and is
than rammed down onto gripper spikes on the base flange. I cannot
remember if when used with tiles, the tile section is plain allowing
tiling up to (or even under) the top flange or whether it too has
gripper spikes that I simply used a thick mortar bed to bridge.

Probably the latter.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 16:42:27 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

MM wrote:

On 24 Sep 2018 15:07:51 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

https://goo.gl/images/SoKjtv

Ah, okay. The brass one in this pic (linked from your URL above) looks
identical to mine:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/N2IAA...hPK/s-l300.jpg

So, what do you see if you lift the carpet away from the strip?

I've lifted the strip now and can see that it's nailed down every few
inches. The underfloor appears to be some kind of industrial version
of MDF. The strip has barbs to hold the carpet.

Bit of a shame the builder couldn't find one piece to go across the
whole kitchen instead of having to add a short piece. It's always
looked a bit unsightly. (See my original pics.)

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 19:20:04 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 24/09/18 15:50, MM wrote:
[...]

Yep,, that's pretty much what it is. With a small nail every so often
holding it down. As I said to a previous poster, the underfloor in the
carpeted area appears to be some form of industrial MDF.

In practice the carpet goes under the lip of the centre section and is
than rammed down onto gripper spikes on the base flange. I cannot
remember if when used with tiles, the tile section is plain allowing
tiling up to (or even under) the top flange or whether it too has
gripper spikes that I simply used a thick mortar bed to bridge.

Probably the latter.

I haven't studied the tile side yet. It's the carpet side I'm
interested in right now.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

MM wrote:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/N2IAA...hPK/s-l300.jpg

So, what do you see if you lift the carpet away from the strip?

Blood, usually :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM wrote:
This brass strip is what the builder put in when the house was being
built 15 years ago. It joins the kitchen ceramic floor tiles to the
"dining area" carpet.

How is this strip fixed down? I cannot see whether there are screws
holding it down or whether it is somehow sprung into place.

The close-up shows the strip lifted slightly. That is, I can lift it
~somewhat~ but then it won't come up any more unless I were to use
undue force.

What kind of brass strip are we looking at here? The internet, of
course, has dozens of pictures, but I'm flying blind here so I don't
know what I'm looking for.

Don't bother looking at unknwn sites, but lots of this sort of thing are a
3d device, with a fixing plate at the bottom as part of it. Screwed down.
Then the bit over the carpet tapped down to grip it.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.