Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint flaking on Artex

My bathroom has a Artex ceiling - sort of little stalagtites. I noticed the
white emulsion is flaking a bit over the shower.

Any suggestions before re-paint?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn expressed precisely :
My bathroom has a Artex ceiling - sort of little stalagtites. I noticed the
white emulsion is flaking a bit over the shower.

Any suggestions before re-paint?.

Seek out a paint suitable for kitchens and bathrooms, they have more
moisture resistance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 23/09/2018 18:44, DerbyBorn wrote:
My bathroom has a Artex ceiling - sort of little stalagtites. I noticed the
white emulsion is flaking a bit over the shower.

Any suggestions before re-paint?.

Do you have an extractor fan?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
My bathroom has a Artex ceiling - sort of little stalagtites. I noticed
the
white emulsion is flaking a bit over the shower.

Any suggestions before re-paint?.

that sticky paint for sealing...can't remember the name of it ......I used
it in the living room when the artex came off as I emulsioned it years
ago...some mess.....but it stopped it and the emulsion went on fine .....

something like this

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p44...SABEgKY-fD_BwE

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn Wrote in message:
My bathroom has a Artex ceiling - sort of little stalagtites. I noticed the
white emulsion is flaking a bit over the shower.

Any suggestions before re-paint?.

Remove the artex :-)
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/18 19:56, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
My bathroom has a Artex ceiling - sort of little stalagtites. I noticed
the
white emulsion is flaking a bit over the shower

Any suggestions before re-paint?.

that sticky paint for sealing...can't remember the name of it ......I used
it in the living room when the artex came off as I emulsioned it years
ago...some mess.....but it stopped it and the emulsion went on fine .....

something like this

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p44...SABEgKY-fD_BwE

Artex Stabilex is similar, I think. I've used that on distemper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Bartram" wrote in message
news
On 23/09/18 19:56, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
My bathroom has a Artex ceiling - sort of little stalagtites. I noticed
the
white emulsion is flaking a bit over the shower

Any suggestions before re-paint?.

that sticky paint for sealing...can't remember the name of it ......I
used
it in the living room when the artex came off as I emulsioned it years
ago...some mess.....but it stopped it and the emulsion went on fine .....

something like this

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p44...SABEgKY-fD_BwE

Artex Stabilex is similar, I think. I've used that on distemper.

yes that will work well ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 September 2018 18:44:26 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
My bathroom has a Artex ceiling - sort of little stalagtites. I noticed the
white emulsion is flaking a bit over the shower.

Any suggestions before re-paint?.

give it a good brush. Or consider getting a plasterer to skim over it after knocking off the bulk of the danglies.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 17:44:23 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

My bathroom has a Artex ceiling - sort of little stalagtites. I noticed the
white emulsion is flaking a bit over the shower.

Any suggestions before re-paint?.

Improve the ventilation by fitting one of the low power low noise fans
designed to be left on for most of the day. If you don't fully get
rid of the water vapour in the bathroom the ceiling paint will flake.
As the area over the shower is the wettest in the room near it is
where the paint will flake first. The older noisy fans fitted to the
light or with moisture sensors do not run for anything like long
enough to clear all the moisture.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote in news
On 23/09/2018 18:44, DerbyBorn wrote:
My bathroom has a Artex ceiling - sort of little stalagtites. I
noticed the white emulsion is flaking a bit over the shower.

Any suggestions before re-paint?.

Do you have an extractor fan?

Yes - in the ceiling and venting outside

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2018 19:55, Jim K wrote:
DerbyBorn Wrote in message:
My bathroom has a Artex ceiling - sort of little stalagtites. I noticed the
white emulsion is flaking a bit over the shower.

Any suggestions before re-paint?.

Remove the artex :-)

Overskim the artex with proper plaster, and repaint with
proper bathroom paint.

Stop using the shower and have a bath instead, every Sunday
night, like clockwork.