Old August 28th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best way to strip flaking paint on a trailer body and sheetmetal

Ive mated the "utility body" I swapped for, with the trailer I
scrounged up and am now at the point I need to do something about
painting, prior to wiring and bling.

The utility body..your typical Reading plumbers truck body, all bins
and whatnot, has badly peeling paint. While the base metal is
sound..it looks nasty.

What is the best way to strip off the old paint? My sandblaster buddy
is busy as hell and Ive been afraid that sandblasting may warp the
thin metal doors. Hitting it with a cup brush for a half day in 105F
heat is also unattractive.....and is likely to put swirls in the sheet
metal doors.

Buy a couple gallons of paint stripper?

Suggestions are gladly considered

Gunner

Old August 28th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner" wrote in message
Ive mated the "utility body" I swapped for, with the trailer I
scrounged up and am now at the point I need to do something about
painting, prior to wiring and bling.

The utility body..your typical Reading plumbers truck body, all bins
and whatnot, has badly peeling paint. While the base metal is
sound..it looks nasty.

What is the best way to strip off the old paint? My sandblaster buddy
is busy as hell and Ive been afraid that sandblasting may warp the
thin metal doors. Hitting it with a cup brush for a half day in 105F
heat is also unattractive.....and is likely to put swirls in the sheet
metal doors.

Buy a couple gallons of paint stripper?

Suggestions are gladly considered

Gunner

Send it out to get hot dipped. Paint it quick!

Old August 28th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
Send it out to get hot dipped. Paint it quick!

Man, I can't believe you don't have a brush to sell for the job. VBG

My 2 cents, get a sandblaster. "The Kid" tried the paint remover a few years
back, what a god awful mess.

Karl

Old August 28th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
Send it out to get hot dipped. Paint it quick!

Man, I can't believe you don't have a brush to sell for the job. VBG

My 2 cents, get a sandblaster. "The Kid" tried the paint remover a few
years back, what a god awful mess.

Sandblasters can dent the heck out of panels that aren't well-crowned (and
even some that are). As of five or ten years ago, a favorite trick with car
restorers was to use a sandblaster with crushed walnut-shell medium.

--
Ed Huntress

Old August 28th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Send it out to get hot dipped. *Paint it quick!

Oh, you want Gunner's paint to fall off quicker!?

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de

Old August 28th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I vote for using a wire brush with a light touch, and don't try to strip
it, just knock off the loose stuff and then paint it with a brush. It won't
look great, but it'll last awhile.

Doesn't sound like much fun in the Central California heat, though.

GWE
Old August 28th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner" wrote in message
Ive mated the "utility body" I swapped for, with the trailer I
scrounged up and am now at the point I need to do something about
painting, prior to wiring and bling.

The utility body..your typical Reading plumbers truck body, all bins
and whatnot, has badly peeling paint. While the base metal is
sound..it looks nasty.

What is the best way to strip off the old paint? My sandblaster buddy
is busy as hell and Ive been afraid that sandblasting may warp the
thin metal doors. Hitting it with a cup brush for a half day in 105F
heat is also unattractive.....and is likely to put swirls in the sheet
metal doors.

Buy a couple gallons of paint stripper?

Suggestions are gladly considered

Gunner

You might try a pressure washer, if the paint is loose. A buddy of mine had
a car that had been re-painted and the "new" paint job started to peel. He
spent a few bucks and a couple hours at the local car wash and had it pretty
well back down to the original paint job...

Jerry

Old August 29th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 28, 11:07 am, Gunner wrote:
Ive mated the "utility body" I swapped for, with the trailer I
scrounged up and am now at the point I need to do something about
painting, prior to wiring and bling.

The utility body..your typical Reading plumbers truck body, all bins
and whatnot, has badly peeling paint. While the base metal is
sound..it looks nasty.

What is the best way to strip off the old paint? My sandblaster buddy
is busy as hell and Ive been afraid that sandblasting may warp the
thin metal doors. Hitting it with a cup brush for a half day in 105F
heat is also unattractive.....and is likely to put swirls in the sheet
metal doors.

Buy a couple gallons of paint stripper?

Suggestions are gladly considered

Gunner

I've done a whole car with stripper, one panel at a time. It's messy,
it's nasty, it's FAST. I started in with a sander on the hood. A
half hour later I had an overheated sander, an overheated hand and an
empty box of sandpaper. Oh, and about a 1 foot square down to
primer. Tough stuff, that factory paint, no matter how nasty it
looked. So went over to the body shop supply, picked up a quart of
aircraft finish stripper. 15 minutes after application, the paint had
bubbled off and just rinsed away. You have to be ready with prep and
prime, things rust quick! Sounded like frying bacon when it was doing
its stuff. You might not be able to get the good stuff in CA, though,
what with CARB and all. Just don't treat any more than you can prep
before stuff rusts up. Protective gear strongly recommended and no
plastic soles unless you like sliding around in the remains of your
shoes. I tried cheaper strippers from the hardware store, they didn't
even get the paint gummy.

Stan

Old August 29th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

looked. So went over to the body shop supply, picked up a quart of
aircraft finish stripper. 15 minutes after application, the paint had
bubbled off and just rinsed away. You have to be ready with prep and
prime, things rust quick! Sounded like frying bacon when it was doing

That's one big advantage of the So Cal desert - things don't rust for
days and weeks (sometimes :-)).

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net

Old August 29th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I've done a whole car with stripper, one panel at a time. It's messy,
it's nasty, it's FAST. ... body shop supply, picked up a quart of
aircraft finish stripper. 15 minutes after application, the paint had
bubbled off and just rinsed away. ...

Wow - good stuff! Do you remember how much it took to do the whole car?

Bob