Stanley Spanner

Default Water pipe OK near electricity meter?

Is there any restriction on the proximity of water pipework to the
main fuse, meter and consumer unit? I need to run central heating
pipework (in plastic pipe) through a cupboard housing the meter etc
and it'll have to pass within a few inches of the main fuse and cross
an inch or so over tails and other cables. Not ideal I know, but are
there any regulations specifically prohibiting it? I can't find
anything in BS7671 (IEE Regs) or various other BSes etc.
Christian McArdle

Is there any restriction on the proximity of water pipework to the
main fuse, meter and consumer unit?

I'm not sure, not having the IEE regs in front of me. I'm sure someone will
come up with the definitive answer.

However, assuming it is allowed, a few precautions might be a good idea
anyway. In particular, avoid using any plumbing joints nearby. Secondly, run
the pipework through a length of drainpipe. This will contain any squirting
or splashing and provide additional mechanical protection to the pipe. Don't
seal the drain top or bottom, you want to see the water pouring out of the
bottom in the extremely unlikely event the internal pipe fails.

Christian.

Kalico

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
Is there any restriction on the proximity of water pipework to the
main fuse, meter and consumer unit?

I'm not sure, not having the IEE regs in front of me. I'm sure someone

will
come up with the definitive answer.

However, assuming it is allowed, a few precautions might be a good idea
anyway. In particular, avoid using any plumbing joints nearby. Secondly,

run
the pipework through a length of drainpipe. This will contain any

squirting
or splashing and provide additional mechanical protection to the pipe.

Don't
seal the drain top or bottom, you want to see the water pouring out of the
bottom in the extremely unlikely event the internal pipe fails.

Christian.

If drainpipe is too big, use a length of 22mm (assuming the water pipe is
15mm) or use plumbing 32mm waste pipe if the water pipe is 22mm.