Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV aerial ?

STWNFI would like a TV in a corner of the kitchen where I cant get an
aerial feed without running cable all round the room with cabinets in
the way. is there another way? Some sort of wireless
transmitter/receiver would be good?

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/18 08:21, Muddymike wrote:
STWNFI would like a TV in a corner of the kitchen where I cant get an
aerial feed without running cable all round the room with cabinets in
the way. is there another way? Some sort of wireless
transmitter/receiver would be good?

Mike

Well I am running a PC here that gers an X window redurect of a anorer
PC that has a satellite card in it.

No at 100Mbps its not very good.

Better to wifi abd use online services and forget the aerial

https://www.mckinsey.com/business-fu...-gas-reduction

Or run the cable outside the house

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 18/09/2018, Muddymike supposed :
STWNFI would like a TV in a corner of the kitchen where I cant get an aerial
feed without running cable all round the room with cabinets in the way. is
there another way? Some sort of wireless transmitter/receiver would be good?

Been there and done that. You should be able to run such a cable in the
pipe space behind the units, or even remove the kick bottom panels and
run the cable under the units.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you have Sky Q a mini Q box connects to the main box over wifi. Can be a little amusing if watching the same channel at the same time as it produces an echo a couple of seconds later on the second screen due to the delays transmitting over wifi. Currently the mini Q boxes cannot transmit UltraHD, I don't know if it is due to the limitations of connecting over wifi.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2018 08:21, Muddymike wrote:
STWNFI would like a TV in a corner of the kitchen where I cant get an
aerial feed without running cable all round the room with cabinets in
the way. is there another way? Some sort of wireless
transmitter/receiver would be good?

If it were a smart TV on wifi (or regular TV with Fire stick etc), then
you could add a network tuner elsewhere that the TV could stream from.

e.g:

https://www.silicondust.com/

(that gives you network TV recording as well, and you don't have to use
their software since the likes of Plex or Kodi understand how to use
them as well)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2018 09:34, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 18/09/2018, Muddymike supposed :
STWNFI would like a TV in a corner of the kitchen where I cant get an
aerial feed without running cable all round the room with cabinets in
the way. is there another way? Some sort of wireless
transmitter/receiver would be good?

Been there and done that. You should be able to run such a cable in the
pipe space behind the units, or even remove the kick bottom panels and
run the cable under the units.

Not so simple here. Not only is there a solid wall interior between the
space she want the telly and the nearest outside wall but the kick
boards are all nicely sealed to the floor.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2018 10:41, Tricky Dicky wrote:
If you have Sky Q a mini Q box connects to the main box over wifi. Can be a little amusing if watching the same channel at the same time as it produces an echo a couple of seconds later on the second screen due to the delays transmitting over wifi. Currently the mini Q boxes cannot transmit UltraHD, I don't know if it is due to the limitations of connecting over wifi.

Richard

Sky!!! Id never waste hard earned on that crap.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2018 10:42, John Rumm wrote:
On 18/09/2018 08:21, Muddymike wrote:
STWNFI would like a TV in a corner of the kitchen where I cant get an
aerial feed without running cable all round the room with cabinets in
the way. is there another way? Some sort of wireless
transmitter/receiver would be good?

If it were a smart TV on wifi (or regular TV with Fire stick etc), then
you could add a network tuner elsewhere that the TV could stream from.

e.g:

https://www.silicondust.com/

(that gives you network TV recording as well, and you don't have to use
their software since the likes of Plex or Kodi understand how to use
them as well)

Fire TV stick now relocated from sitting room to kitchen telly :-)
Thanks for the suggestion, why didn't I think of that...

Now where the hell did we pack the remote for that telly :-(

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 11:39:05 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

Been there and done that. You should be able to run such a cable

in the
pipe space behind the units, or even remove the kick bottom panels

and
run the cable under the units.

Not so simple here. Not only is there a solid wall interior between the
space she want the telly and the nearest outside wall but the kick
boards are all nicely sealed to the floor.

And who sealed the under unit access panels to the floor? B-)

The backs of cupboards rarely go right up to the underside of the
work top so you could get access to the pipe space there. Or simply
run the cable along the back clipped to the underside of the work
top.

Though if the Firestick works well enough without clogging up your
WiFi that'll do.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2018 08:21, Muddymike wrote:
STWNFI would like a TV in a corner of the kitchen where I cant get an
aerial feed without running cable all round the room with cabinets in
the way. is there another way? Some sort of wireless
transmitter/receiver would be good?

Mike

1. When running cables around kitchens cabinets are a godsend! Often you
can run the cable invisibly above the cabinet, or behind the back wall
of it, if it's lined, or even under the lip where the under-cabinet
lights are.

2. Could you do it with miniature coax? It's surprising where that stuff
will go.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes as whatever you did otherwise would mean another box and more
complication of course.

Obviously though not knowing the lie of the land so to speak I find it hard
to think that a small bit of coax going through a wall somewhere will upset
anyone if they are prepared to have an ugly TV in the kitchen in the first
place, Omelettes and breaking eggs comes to mind here.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
news
On 18/09/18 08:21, Muddymike wrote:
STWNFI would like a TV in a corner of the kitchen where I cant get an
aerial feed without running cable all round the room with cabinets in the
way. is there another way? Some sort of wireless transmitter/receiver
would be good?

Mike

Well I am running a PC here that gers an X window redurect of a anorer PC
that has a satellite card in it.

No at 100Mbps its not very good.

Better to wifi abd use online services and forget the aerial

https://www.mckinsey.com/business-fu...-gas-reduction

Or run the cable outside the house

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I do wish cody would make their stuff accessible for the blind, no
screenreader can use them due to their oddball api.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 18/09/2018 08:21, Muddymike wrote:
STWNFI would like a TV in a corner of the kitchen where I cant get an
aerial feed without running cable all round the room with cabinets in the
way. is there another way? Some sort of wireless transmitter/receiver
would be good?

If it were a smart TV on wifi (or regular TV with Fire stick etc), then
you could add a network tuner elsewhere that the TV could stream from.

e.g:

https://www.silicondust.com/

(that gives you network TV recording as well, and you don't have to use
their software since the likes of Plex or Kodi understand how to use them
as well)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2018 12:49, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 11:39:05 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

Been there and done that. You should be able to run such a cable

in the
pipe space behind the units, or even remove the kick bottom panels

and
run the cable under the units.

Not so simple here. Not only is there a solid wall interior between the
space she want the telly and the nearest outside wall but the kick
boards are all nicely sealed to the floor.

And who sealed the under unit access panels to the floor? B-)

Pass, we have just bought the house. I'm glad they are though as STWNFI
discovered the kitchen sink overflow doesn't handle full tap flow...

The backs of cupboards rarely go right up to the underside of the
work top so you could get access to the pipe space there. Or simply
run the cable along the back clipped to the underside of the work
top.

Yes but there is a naval level built in oven and a solid brick wall
between the unit the cable could come into the back of and the unit the
TV is on

Though if the Firestick works well enough without clogging up your
WiFi that'll do.

It seems to be working well.

Mike

New TV aerial choice? David Cawkwell UK diy 24 November 13th 03 11:55 AM
Aerial brackets Rich UK diy 6 October 8th 03 10:20 PM
FM Aerial installation Q's PJ UK diy 50 September 23rd 03 08:59 AM
New aerial set up Doctor D. UK diy 4 September 15th 03 12:11 AM
Fitting aerial on roof - how to get up there! David Aldridge UK diy 31 July 28th 03 07:35 PM