Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen cupboard fell off wall

I came across a kitchen wall cabinet that had nearly fallen off the wall.

It was in a fairly modern house - last 15 years I'd say

When I examined the wall it consisted of a layer of plasterboard and directly behind that was about 8cm of solid pink foam then breeze blocks. No gap or wooden studs.

The cupboard had been screwed to the plasterboard using metal plasterboard fittings - not surprised it came off - could have killed a child.

I sorted it using by drilling into the breeze blocks and putting 8mm studs in with resin but what's the approved type of fixing for this type of wall? Rigifix?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk Wrote in message:
I came across a kitchen wall cabinet that had nearly fallen off the wall.

It was in a fairly modern house - last 15 years I'd say

When I examined the wall it consisted of a layer of plasterboard and directly behind that was about 8cm of solid pink foam then breeze blocks. No gap or wooden studs.

The cupboard had been screwed to the plasterboard using metal plasterboard fittings - not surprised it came off - could have killed a child.

I sorted it using by drilling into the breeze blocks and putting 8mm studs in with resin but what's the approved type of fixing for this type of wall? Rigifix?

Depends on what the "breeze blocks" actually are?

Anything that replicates the "back to block" fixing you have done
would be my choice.

Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 September 2018 21:36:28 UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:
I came across a kitchen wall cabinet that had nearly fallen off the wall.

It was in a fairly modern house - last 15 years I'd say

When I examined the wall it consisted of a layer of plasterboard and directly behind that was about 8cm of solid pink foam then breeze blocks. No gap or wooden studs.

The cupboard had been screwed to the plasterboard using metal plasterboard fittings - not surprised it came off - could have killed a child.

I sorted it using by drilling into the breeze blocks and putting 8mm studs in with resin but what's the approved type of fixing for this type of wall? Rigifix?

you can get various aerated block fixings, resin certainly works. Spreading the load over several fixings helps too.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 September 2018 22:08:27 UTC+1, wrote:
Spreading the load over several fixings helps too.

I use the hanging rails and anchor bolts into brick. Won't come out of the wall without being chiselled out with the SDS.

Right bugger when I measured twice and both were wrong :-(

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/18 21:36, Murmansk wrote:
I came across a kitchen wall cabinet that had nearly fallen off the wall.

It was in a fairly modern house - last 15 years I'd say

When I examined the wall it consisted of a layer of plasterboard and directly behind that was about 8cm of solid pink foam then breeze blocks. No gap or wooden studs.

The cupboard had been screwed to the plasterboard using metal plasterboard fittings - not surprised it came off - could have killed a child.

I sorted it using by drilling into the breeze blocks and putting 8mm studs in with resin but what's the approved type of fixing for this type of wall? Rigifix?

TBH it will hold up IF the load is spread.

My solution wouuld have beein to rip a crate in te foom and remove te
plasterboard locally. them slap in car body filler.

Car body filler is better than rawlplastic ever was.
It takes screws perefectly and is sandable and paintable.
And it sticks to almost everything except polythene

--
€œSome people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of €¨an airplane.€

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have sworn by hollow wall anchors and have hung lots of heavy objects without problems. The only time they failed on me was when I inadvertently used some designed for 12mm max. PB in a 15mm board, this prevented the anchor opening out fully behind the board the result being the anchor pulled through the board as it was tightened. The OP does not specify what type of metal fixing was used but I can see how the foam might prevent several types from working or if they are hollow wall types are they correct for the thickness of PB.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote on 14/09/2018 :
I have sworn by hollow wall anchors and have hung lots of heavy objects
without problems. The only time they failed on me was when I inadvertently
used some designed for 12mm max. PB in a 15mm board, this prevented the
anchor opening out fully behind the board the result being the anchor pulled
through the board as it was tightened. The OP does not specify what type of
metal fixing was used but I can see how the foam might prevent several types
from working or if they are hollow wall types are they correct for the
thickness of PB.

I would be wary of hanging any heavy weight on PB, even if well fixed
to the PB, you don't know how well fixed the PB might be. There is only
one PB wall here, a recent wall between bathroom a second bedroom. At
the construction stage, I made sure a pair of battens were added at a
suitable height for the eventual bathroom cabinet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 September 2018 06:01:26 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

rip a crate in the foom?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I prefer a rail with lots of fixings over the short plates that are
commonly used. You may have to route a bit out of the rear of the sides -
but so what.