Sunitha Kode

Default sony triniton 28" tv fell off

My 28" Sony Trinitron TV fell off to its face from about a feet's
height. It first landed on the top left edge of the case & subsequently
fell to its face.

Now, when I switch on the TV gives a flash once & then shows nothing. I
can see the channel number, AV1, AV2 etc. on the top left but in red
colour (it used to be shown in green). I can see the progress bar for
volume when I change the volume. But I can't see the picture. Audio is
perfect.

I think the picture tube is gone but I want to be sure about it. Is
there any way to confirm this myself without the help of a technician?

I opened the TV to see if there are any cracks on the CRT but there are
none.

Any information in this regards os much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sunitha Kode ha escrito:

My 28" Sony Trinitron TV fell off to its face from about a feet's
height. It first landed on the top left edge of the case & subsequently
fell to its face.

Now, when I switch on the TV gives a flash once & then shows nothing. I
can see the channel number, AV1, AV2 etc. on the top left but in red
colour (it used to be shown in green). I can see the progress bar for
volume when I change the volume. But I can't see the picture. Audio is
perfect.

I think the picture tube is gone but I want to be sure about it. Is
there any way to confirm this myself without the help of a technician?

I opened the TV to see if there are any cracks on the CRT but there are
none.

Any information in this regards os much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

sounds like you are at least getting a picture, but no video signal.
I'd say a board has got cracked. With the set on and the back off,try
poking the boards with a wooden rod or cooking utensil to see if you
can get a video signal back on screen and then locate the cracks.
in any case, from the discolouration you mentioned , I'd say the tube
is damaged. This is probably not feasible to repair.
good luck, B.

Jerry G.

It is possible that the tube is damaged from the drop. There is a
chance that the circuit board may be damaged.

If you are not trained in TV service, you should have a TV service
center look at it, and give you an estimate.

Jerry Greenberg

James Sweet

"Sunitha Kode" wrote in message
oups.com...
My 28" Sony Trinitron TV fell off to its face from about a feet's
height. It first landed on the top left edge of the case & subsequently
fell to its face.

Now, when I switch on the TV gives a flash once & then shows nothing. I
can see the channel number, AV1, AV2 etc. on the top left but in red
colour (it used to be shown in green). I can see the progress bar for
volume when I change the volume. But I can't see the picture. Audio is
perfect.

I think the picture tube is gone but I want to be sure about it. Is
there any way to confirm this myself without the help of a technician?

I opened the TV to see if there are any cracks on the CRT but there are
none.

Any information in this regards os much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You've probably cracked a circuit board, that part is usually pretty easy to
fix. The part that concerns me though is the menu being red instead of
green, that could indicate that the aperature grill inside the tube has
shifted, in which case you'll never be able to get the purity right and
it'll always have off-colored blobs but it's hard to know without fixing the
board, could be just fine.

Graham

My 28" Sony Trinitron TV fell off to its face from about a feet's
height. It first landed on the top left edge of the case & subsequently
fell to its face.

Now, when I switch on the TV gives a flash once & then shows nothing. I
can see the channel number, AV1, AV2 etc. on the top left but in red
colour (it used to be shown in green). I can see the progress bar for
volume when I change the volume. But I can't see the picture. Audio is
perfect.

I think the picture tube is gone but I want to be sure about it. Is
there any way to confirm this myself without the help of a technician?

I opened the TV to see if there are any cracks on the CRT but there are
none.

Any information in this regards os much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I think you have two problems with this set.
The no picture fault might have been worth repairing,

But the colour purity problem you see on the on-screen graphics is almost
certainly caused by the trauma the set suffered buckling the aperture grille
inside the CRT.

The construction of the Trinitron aperture grille is lighter and more easily
damaged than other types of CRT.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Albert Grennock

"James Sweet" wrote in message

[...]

A simillar drop onto the bottom right hand corner should fix it ;O)

Seriously it is worth a try before binning the tube.

I remember the days when a firm thump to the side of the set would
cure 99% of television faults :O)

Dave D

[...]

The other posters are most likely right IMO- the aperture grille in the CRT
is damaged/shifted. I managed to restore a rather badly damaged (dropped)
Trinitron by a lot of fiddling with the yoke rings and placing magnets on
the CRT, but I guess I was lucky, and had too much time on my hands ;-). You
may find a few degauss cycles lessens the symptoms, but it isn't very
likely. Also it's worth considering that the integrity of the CRT may have
been compromised. It may not be visible, but there may be weaknesses in the
glass which could prove dangerous. You don't say what kind of surface it
fell on, but if it was concrete, I'd be wary.

Dave

James Sweet

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
Can you say "Implode!"

That really shouldn't be much concern, modern TV's are designed so that an
implosion that sprays anything beyond the enclosure is very unlikely, now
with the back off it's a whole different story but the face of a CRT is made
of very thick glass and the shadow mask helps shield any internals.

Michael Kennedy

What color is the volume bar? What color is the volume bar supposed to be?
Is the color of the volume bar and the channel numbers consistant? (not
changing shades of red or green) Are the red channel numbers possilby from
the tv not recieving any signal on those channels because of a broken
circuit board?

Try using a composite input and see what happens on AV1 and AV2.

- Mike

[...]

Ken Weitzel

Michael Kennedy wrote:

What color is the volume bar? What color is the volume bar supposed to be?
Is the color of the volume bar and the channel numbers consistant? (not
changing shades of red or green) Are the red channel numbers possilby from
the tv not recieving any signal on those channels because of a broken
circuit board?

Try using a composite input and see what happens on AV1 and AV2.

Hi...

I'd surely want to see some video on it before giving up on the tube.

It's even possible that it fell at turn on, failed while de-gaussing.

I once turned on a set at about the same instant that hydro failed.
What a kalaedascopic (sp?) mess!!!

Ken

Sunitha Kode

What color is the volume bar? What color is the volume bar supposed to be?
Volume bar is green as it is supposed to be. The mute sign etc. are
also displayed in green.

Is the color of the volume bar and the channel numbers consistant? (not
changing shades of red or green)

The channel numbers were half green & red initially & now it is fully
red.

Try using a composite input and see what happens on AV1 and AV2.

Donno what you mean by this. I tried playing a DVD, there is no picture
on the screen but audio is fine.

-Sunitha.

Sunitha Kode

With the set on and the back off,try poking the boards with a wooden

When I tried tapping the circuit board behind the CRT filament,
there were color stripes which went on & off here & there.

Also noticed that the CRT filament is not glowing.

-Sunitha

Sunitha Kode

With the set on and the back off,try poking the boards with a wooden rod or

I tried poking on the circuit board behind the CRT filament & saw some
colour stripes come & go here & there on the screen.

Other thing that I noticed is the CRT filament isn't glowing.

-Sunitha

Dave D

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
Can you say "Implode!"

That really shouldn't be much concern, modern TV's are designed so that an
implosion that sprays anything beyond the enclosure is very unlikely, now
with the back off it's a whole different story but the face of a CRT is
made
of very thick glass and the shadow mask helps shield any internals.

The aperture grille on a Trinitron would be next to no protection from
flying glass, especially if the screen area collapses. However, I agree it
is not particularly likely the screen area would fail. I've certainly never
seen it happen. It is worth pointing it out to the OP as a risk though. Any
TV landing on its face, certainly onto a hard floor, should be treated with
caution.

Dave

Michael Kennedy

Composite would be a connection with RCA cables.. example: a dvd player with
yellow video and red and white audio wires, not through the antenna port
anything you use on AV1 or AV2.

Sounds to me like possible screen mask damage and circuit board damage. I'd
fix the board before making any decisions about the CRT tube.

- Mike
"Sunitha Kode" wrote in message
oups.com...
What color is the volume bar? What color is the volume bar supposed to
be?

Volume bar is green as it is supposed to be. The mute sign etc. are
also displayed in green.

Is the color of the volume bar and the channel numbers consistant? (not
changing shades of red or green)

The channel numbers were half green & red initially & now it is fully
red.

Try using a composite input and see what happens on AV1 and AV2.

Donno what you mean by this. I tried playing a DVD, there is no picture
on the screen but audio is fine.

-Sunitha.

Michael Kennedy

By the way, if you are getting channel numbers and volume bars on the screen
that means the CRT tube is working, but something must be wrong with the
electronics. The discoloration may indicate damage to the CRT but never the
less you should be able to get some sort of picture when the circuit that is
damaged is fixed.

- Mike

"Sunitha Kode" wrote in message
oups.com...
What color is the volume bar? What color is the volume bar supposed to
be?

Volume bar is green as it is supposed to be. The mute sign etc. are
also displayed in green.

Is the color of the volume bar and the channel numbers consistant? (not
changing shades of red or green)

The channel numbers were half green & red initially & now it is fully
red.

Try using a composite input and see what happens on AV1 and AV2.

Donno what you mean by this. I tried playing a DVD, there is no picture
on the screen but audio is fine.

-Sunitha.

Asimov

"Ken Weitzel" bravely wrote to "All" (03 Oct 05 04:18:25)
--- on the heady topic of " sony triniton 28" tv fell off"

KW From: Ken Weitzel
KW Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:343960

KW Hi...

KW I'd surely want to see some video on it before giving up on the tube.

KW It's even possible that it fell at turn on, failed while de-gaussing.

KW I once turned on a set at about the same instant that hydro failed.
KW What a kalaedascopic (sp?) mess!!!

Ken,

I agree with you that there may be nothing wrong with the crt. The red
colour channel numbers might be the cpu indicating a problem and as
such is a normal display. In that case the circuitry has been damaged.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... I ran Doublespace on my monitor & get 2 more TV channels.

The red colour channel numbers might be the cpu indicating a problem

I concur.

Also, there is a difference between red/used to be green and red/used
to be pale green. The channel numbers may always have had some red in
them, you just never noticed it under the green.

I've fixed a lot of dropped tv's and monitors by resoldering
connections that popped loose. Make sure you check all of the solder
connections, esp. the ones on the tube socket and in places where
boards come together.

Tom MacIntyre

On 3 Oct 2005 03:45:07 -0700, "Sunitha Kode"
wrote:

With the set on and the back off,try poking the boards with a wooden

When I tried tapping the circuit board behind the CRT filament,
there were color stripes which went on & off here & there.

Also noticed that the CRT filament is not glowing.

-Sunitha

The CRT may be gone, for sure. Usually with a set of this size
following the board cracks around the FBT also. You never know...if
you do get it going, a degauss may take care of the possible CRT
problem.

Tom

Ken G.

28`` ? probably a 27`` set . Good reason to chuck it and get one of
those new cool flat LCD sets :-)

Andy Cuffe

On 3 Oct 2005 14:05:03 -0700, "
wrote:

The red colour channel numbers might be the cpu indicating a problem

I concur.

Also, there is a difference between red/used to be green and red/used
to be pale green. The channel numbers may always have had some red in
them, you just never noticed it under the green.

No Sony TV I have ever seen has used anything but pure green for the
channel numbers.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
fireater

Sunitha Kode wrote:
With the set on and the back off,try poking the boards with a wooden

When I tried tapping the circuit board behind the CRT filament,
there were color stripes which went on & off here & there.

Also noticed that the CRT filament is not glowing.

-Sunitha

filament has to be on u have OSD!!
u have prolly a cold solder / cracked board somewhere
James Sweet

"Sunitha Kode" wrote in message
oups.com...
With the set on and the back off,try poking the boards with a wooden

When I tried tapping the circuit board behind the CRT filament,
there were color stripes which went on & off here & there.

Also noticed that the CRT filament is not glowing.

-Sunitha

If you got anything at all on the screen then the filaments are glowing,
they just may be obstructed by other structures in the neck and difficult to
see. You'll have to repair broken circuit board before you'll know anything
else, the tube is clearly still working, no way to know if the purity will
be ok until you can at least get a picture.

James Sweet wrote:
"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
Can you say "Implode!"

That really shouldn't be much concern, modern TV's are designed so that an
implosion that sprays anything beyond the enclosure is very unlikely, now
with the back off it's a whole different story but the face of a CRT is made
of very thick glass and the shadow mask helps shield any internals.

About 15 years ago, I thought an imploding picture tube would be cool,
so some friends and I found an old TV in the dump, and while hiding
down behind a mound of dirt 15 or 20 feet away, we threw a heavy metal
fence post at it.

Repeatedly.

Then we walked up to the TV and rammed it with the post or swung at it
over and over again.

Eventually, we got a few cracks in the screen. Nothing dramatic except
that we were all out of breath from taking turns swinging the fence
post. I couldn't believe how tough the glass was.

No idea about the strength of the back side of the tube, though.

Dave D

wrote in message
oups.com...

James Sweet wrote:
[...]

That can be the problem though. It doesn't break straight away, but has
hidden stress fractures which could fail unexpectedly days, months or even
years later. Having said that, it is rare for the front glass to fail on a
CRT.

I had a similar experience with glass in a scrap car. At our local scrapyard
the guys were trying to get into a Nissan Laurel they couldn't find the keys
for. Trying to look cool, one of them swung a spanner at the side window,
nothing.
He picked up a half-brick sized rock, threw it at the glass, nothing.
He picked up an exhaust manifold and threw it at the glass, nothing.
He eventually cracked it with a hammer. Glass is strange stuff.

No idea about the strength of the back side of the tube, though.

Not as strong, but I've never seen that go either. I've done a few tubes
where the whole neck, guns and all, has flown into the tube, but nothing
more spectacular.

Dave

My friend and I tried a rock. A big one, about a 20 pounder. It
probably didn't help that it was so hard to throw, but that and our
lousy aim from "safe distance" outside the "blast radius" made for an
exhausting ordeal.

I remember that we knocked the phosphor off the inside surface of the
tube with one blow in a very interesting star-shaped pattern. I wonder
if anyone's modeled a CRT with Bessel functions before.

We eventually did smash the front in, and it was quite a celebration
that ensued, but we never tried it again because bashing a TV in is
just too much work.

Paul of Dayon

Had a similar experience with an old Sony. We were cleaning the shop and
dumping old junk. We had several televisons. We thought it might be fun to
take out our frustrations with a sledge hammer. A Hitachi required a tap.
Same for the JVC. When we got to the Sony, we all exhausted ourselves.
Finally a burly manager type came out and gave his all. It cracked. Then
the rest of us were able to do some damage.

Because the Sony tubes have always been flat (at least in one direction)
they have very thick glass for the screens. By the way, the backsides are
every but a fragile as any other tube (experience speaking....oops).

PoD

Tom MacIntyre

On 7 Oct 2005 03:02:11 -0700, "
wrote:

My friend and I tried a rock. A big one, about a 20 pounder. It
probably didn't help that it was so hard to throw, but that and our
lousy aim from "safe distance" outside the "blast radius" made for an
exhausting ordeal.

I remember that we knocked the phosphor off the inside surface of the
tube with one blow in a very interesting star-shaped pattern. I wonder
if anyone's modeled a CRT with Bessel functions before.

We eventually did smash the front in, and it was quite a celebration
that ensued, but we never tried it again because bashing a TV in is
just too much work.

It certainly wasn't as difficult 30+ years ago...my friends and I
found an old CRT in the woods, and one shot on the front glass with
about a 5 or 6 pound rock and it was a goner.

Tom