Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Temporary Wheelchair user

Has anyone encountered our situation. My wife is usinging a wheelchair
until a foot operation is completely healed.

We cannot get a Blue Badge as we do not meet the criteria.

Our concern is that in shop car-parks, hospital carparks, etc we need the
space to open the door wide for her to transfer into the wheelchair.

I have been taking her inside then going back to move my car. I am not
getting younger and it is a lot of extra to ad froing in addition to
unloading the chair and pushing her.

I have made a notice for my car = saying, "Temporary Wheelchair user" - and
giving my mobile phone number in case of any issues.

Do you thing the parking cowboys would take any notice and call me - or am
I being naive?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 12/09/2018 15:22, DerbyBorn wrote:
Has anyone encountered our situation. My wife is usinging a wheelchair
until a foot operation is completely healed.

We cannot get a Blue Badge as we do not meet the criteria.

Our concern is that in shop car-parks, hospital carparks, etc we need the
space to open the door wide for her to transfer into the wheelchair.

I have been taking her inside then going back to move my car. I am not
getting younger and it is a lot of extra to ad froing in addition to
unloading the chair and pushing her.

I have made a notice for my car = saying, "Temporary Wheelchair user" - and
giving my mobile phone number in case of any issues.

Do you thing the parking cowboys would take any notice and call me - or am
I being naive?

They are mostly on commission, so they won't take any notice.

Be bloody minded. Stop the car next to the space. Decant your wife.
Park. Push her.

We have similar issues, as our 2 door car has very big doors. I can
usually find a spot next to a flower bed or the like, often at the end
of a row. It's a nuisance, though, and it must be worse for you.

HTH.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2018 15:22, DerbyBorn wrote:

I have made a notice for my car = saying, "Temporary Wheelchair user" - and
giving my mobile phone number in case of any issues.

Do you thing the parking cowboys would take any notice and call me - or am
I being naive?

They would ticket you. If it's the council they'll let you off when you
appeal. If it's private they won't. They are *******s.

We have a trailer for the scooter. It has large disability signs on it.
In Cockermouth car park we were ticketed despite the blue badge because
the trailer was in the bay behind the van so we occupied two bays. In
Kirkby Stephen we occupied two streetside disabled bays and the same
thing happened. The **** said that the blue badge applied to the van but
we'd need a second one for the trailer.

Let's face it they aren't employed for their compassion or intelligence.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2018 15:22, DerbyBorn wrote:
Has anyone encountered our situation. My wife is usinging a wheelchair
until a foot operation is completely healed.

We cannot get a Blue Badge as we do not meet the criteria.

My partner probably would qualify, but doesn't want to be labelled as
disabled.

Our concern is that in shop car-parks, hospital carparks, etc we need the
space to open the door wide for her to transfer into the wheelchair.

I usually find there is plenty of space in the parking bays well away
from the main entrance. It involves pushing the chair further, but you
normally still have room to open the car door when you get back.

I have been taking her inside then going back to move my car. I am not
getting younger and it is a lot of extra to ad froing in addition to
unloading the chair and pushing her.

I have made a notice for my car = saying, "Temporary Wheelchair user" - and
giving my mobile phone number in case of any issues.

Do you thing the parking cowboys would take any notice and call me - or am
I being naive?

The bays are for blue badge holders only. If you don't have one,
whatever the reason, expect to get ticketed.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2018 15:22, DerbyBorn wrote:
Has anyone encountered our situation. My wife is usinging a wheelchair
until a foot operation is completely healed.

We cannot get a Blue Badge as we do not meet the criteria.

Worth asking the hospital help desk if there is a local scheme to
provide a temporary blue badge (and if not write to your MP). It makes
no sense otherwise since they claim they want people to remain
independent but are awkward about enabling that for a temporary
disability. You have to ask (a bit like other parking concessions).

The problem we have is that although our friend would easily meet the
criteria he refuses to be labelled disabled. The result is that we often
have to park miles away from the shop entrance to find a double space
where he can get out and he is already out of steps before we reach the
shop. It takes him a couple of days to recover from such an outing.

Our concern is that in shop car-parks, hospital carparks, etc we need the
space to open the door wide for her to transfer into the wheelchair.

The bloody minded solution I have used in extremis is to pick a quiet
corner get the passenger out of the car with the car only half way into
the space and then move full way in once they are in the wheelchair.

I have been taking her inside then going back to move my car. I am not
getting younger and it is a lot of extra to ad froing in addition to
unloading the chair and pushing her.

I have made a notice for my car = saying, "Temporary Wheelchair user" - and
giving my mobile phone number in case of any issues.

Do you thing the parking cowboys would take any notice and call me - or am
I being naive?

Council ones might on a good day but private ones will rub their hands
with glee at the chance to grab another scalp (and commission).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Did you approach the local authority and explain the issue?
Brian

Yes Brian - My wife spoke to the today. It seems there is a 6 month period
of incapacity before a permanant badge can be issued as well.

I can't really understand why a badge cannot be issued with an expiry set
by the consultant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2018 16:45, Nightjar wrote:

My partner probably would qualify, but doesn't want to be labelled as
disabled.

Is she an idiot?

Our concern is that in shop car-parks, hospital carparks, etc we need the
space to open the door wide for her to transfer into the wheelchair.

I usually find there is plenty of space in the parking bays well away
from the main entrance. It involves pushing the chair further, but you
normally still have room to open the car door when you get back.

Agreed. It's usually a horizontal and hard surface in the car park so
pushing is no problem.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2018 15:22, DerbyBorn wrote:
Has anyone encountered our situation. My wife is usinging a wheelchair
until a foot operation is completely healed.

We cannot get a Blue Badge as we do not meet the criteria.

Our concern is that in shop car-parks, hospital carparks, etc we need the
space to open the door wide for her to transfer into the wheelchair.

I have been taking her inside then going back to move my car. I am not
getting younger and it is a lot of extra to ad froing in addition to
unloading the chair and pushing her.

I have made a notice for my car = saying, "Temporary Wheelchair user" - and
giving my mobile phone number in case of any issues.

Do you thing the parking cowboys would take any notice and call me - or am
I being naive?

You are being naive . Some wardens will use a bit of common and let you
away with it (depending on how much of a problem it creates) some will
apply the law to the letter and 'throw the book' at you. Sorry but the
getting out then moving the car seems to be the safest way to go.

Anecdote:-

A car park, I use a lot, has a couple of disabled bays which I can park
in with a blue badge, however these bays are quite often taken up by
vans and all sorts (parking is near a set of shops and drivers quite
often take a break with a snack in the parking).

When these bays are occupied all I can do is get into a normal
space (sometimes the car park is full(ish) and I have to squeeze into a
[marked full size but actually with overgrowth and bad parking by
others] rather small space) . I have to let the wife out (she needs LOTS
of room to get out of the car) then I can get into the space and get
out myself. When going away I do the opposite of that i.e. I get out of
the space let her in then can drive away .

Sorry I can not be more positive but at least her foot will improve
then you can return to being 'normal' (if there is such a thing).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/09/2018 16:05, Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

They are only doing their job.

Mind you it's a ****s job and only a **** would do it.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2018 17:24, DerbyBorn wrote:

Did you approach the local authority and explain the issue?
Brian

Yes Brian - My wife spoke to the today. It seems there is a 6 month period
of incapacity before a permanant badge can be issued as well.

I can't really understand why a badge cannot be issued with an expiry set
by the consultant.

Rules..
you aren't disabled if its a temporary thing.
There would be hundreds of thousands of blue badges if they were allowed
for temporary stuff, like "I can't walk because I have an ingrowing toe
nail".

Can she manage with crutches?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Busy hospital and clinic car parks are the main issue. Not wanting to park
on Yellow Lines.
I accept that a "Blue Badge" requirement is what it says - but a "Disabled
Sign" does not imply Blue Badge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2018 15:22, DerbyBorn wrote:
Has anyone encountered our situation. My wife is usinging a wheelchair
until a foot operation is completely healed.

We cannot get a Blue Badge as we do not meet the criteria.

Our concern is that in shop car-parks, hospital carparks, etc we need the
space to open the door wide for her to transfer into the wheelchair.

I have been taking her inside then going back to move my car. I am not
getting younger and it is a lot of extra to ad froing in addition to
unloading the chair and pushing her.

I have made a notice for my car = saying, "Temporary Wheelchair user" - and
giving my mobile phone number in case of any issues.

Do you thing the parking cowboys would take any notice and call me - or am
I being naive?

Does she need to go shopping ?. Just stay at home until she is
fully mobile again. You can go out and do the shopping on your own.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote in
news
[...]

Theraputic - good for her to go out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2018 22:34, dennis@home wrote:
On 12/09/2018 17:24, DerbyBorn wrote:

Did you approach the local authority and explain the issue?
Â* Brian

Yes Brian - My wife spoke to the today. It seems there is a 6 month
period
of incapacity before a permanant badge can be issued as well.

I can't really understand why a badge cannot be issued with an expiry set
byÂ* the consultant.

Rules..
you aren't disabled if its a temporary thing.
There would be hundreds of thousands of blue badges if they were allowed
for temporary stuff, like "I can't walk because I have an ingrowing toe
nail".

Can she manage with crutches?

+1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 September 2018 12:21:54 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
Andrew wrote in
news
[...]

cabin fever's no fun

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2018 12:21, DerbyBorn wrote:
Andrew wrote in
news

Does she need to go shopping ?. Just stay at home until she is
fully mobile again. You can go out and do the shopping on your own.

Theraputic - good for her to go out.

Choose places and times that are less busy if you have the option.
Tuesday mornings tend to be quietest round here.

That way you stand a decent chance of finding a double normal space.

Hospital parking for someone with very limited mobility (due to a
temporary condition) and therefore without a blue badge is something of
a nightmare and should be addressed. It is worth asking the question...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote in
o.uk:

On 12/09/2018 22:34, dennis@home wrote:
On 12/09/2018 17:24, DerbyBorn wrote:

Did you approach the local authority and explain the issue?
Â* Brian

Yes Brian - My wife spoke to the today. It seems there is a 6 month
period
of incapacity before a permanant badge can be issued as well.

I can't really understand why a badge cannot be issued with an
expiry set byÂ* the consultant.

Rules..
you aren't disabled if its a temporary thing.
There would be hundreds of thousands of blue badges if they were
allowed for temporary stuff, like "I can't walk because I have an
ingrowing toe nail".

Can she manage with crutches?

+1

No - nor a zimmer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
Andrew wrote in
news
[...]

No need to go out to supermarkets which don’t have any
easy way to get out of the car without a Blue Badge. And
it wont do her any harm to not go out while the foot heals.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 05:56:57 +1000, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Does she need to go shopping ?. Just stay at home until she is
fully mobile again. You can go out and do the shopping on your own.

Theraputic - good for her to go out.

No need to go out to supermarkets which don¢t have any
easy way to get out of the car without a Blue Badge. And
it wont do her any harm to not go out while the foot heals.

Darn! And the incontinent senile Ozzie troll had to **** also in THIS
thread! tsk

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2018 13:29, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 12:09:06 +0100, Andrew wrote:

[...]

Is that the 1950s calling ?

No it's bloody reality. She has a temporary disability but expects
the 'system' to alter just to suit her.

Internet shopping is the name of the game these days.

She can always toddle off for a walk from the house to exercise
her foot.