Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default removing glued down flooring

My new house has a kitchen where the floor has been glued down across the
whole area with adhesive (looks like evostick, but I guess it's a commercial
version).

As I try and pull the old floor up it breaks off in small lumps

Is there some clever way to break down the adhesive (through the flooring)
so that it is easier to lift, or do I just have to go over the whole floor
with a scraper?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In short, probably yes. Trying to use a solvent usually makes the person
using it end up unconscious or hallucinating and still ends up with a gooey
sticky mess. I remember having to do this in our bathroom which had tiles
glued down with this stuff.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"tim..." wrote in message
news
My new house has a kitchen where the floor has been glued down across the
whole area with adhesive (looks like evostick, but I guess it's a
commercial version).

As I try and pull the old floor up it breaks off in small lumps

Is there some clever way to break down the adhesive (through the flooring)
so that it is easier to lift, or do I just have to go over the whole floor
with a scraper?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2018 08:05, tim... wrote:
My new house has a kitchen where the floor has been glued down across
the whole area with adhesive (looks like evostick, but I guess it's a
commercial version).

As I try and pull the old floor up it breaks off in small lumps

Is there some clever way to break down the adhesive (through the
flooring) so that it is easier to lift, or do I just have to go over the
whole floor with a scraper?

tim

You could try warming it with a hot air gun. Whether you could get it
warm enough to soften the bond is something you will need to see. A mask
and open windows (fumes) would be a good idea.

I'm curious, what is the flooring? Vinyl, at least the stuff we've had
professionally laid, was taped at the edges. Wood normally clips
together etc. The large tile like boards, I assumed, were similar.

Of course, someone could have done something totally different ;-)

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 09:42:07 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

In short, probably yes. Trying to use a solvent usually makes the
person using it end up unconscious or hallucinating and still ends up
with a gooey sticky mess. I remember having to do this in our bathroom
which had tiles glued down with this stuff.
Brian

Bosch makes an electric scraper with a tungsten carbide blade for doing this
sort of job.

Yes - I've got one. Some heat from a hot air stripper will help too.

Make sure you have plenty ventilation to the room.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
On 09/09/2018 08:05, tim... wrote:
My new house has a kitchen where the floor has been glued down across the
whole area with adhesive (looks like evostick, but I guess it's a
commercial version).

As I try and pull the old floor up it breaks off in small lumps

Is there some clever way to break down the adhesive (through the
flooring) so that it is easier to lift, or do I just have to go over the
whole floor with a scraper?

tim

You could try warming it with a hot air gun. Whether you could get it warm
enough to soften the bond is something you will need to see. A mask and
open windows (fumes) would be a good idea.

I'm curious, what is the flooring? Vinyl,

Vinyl

at least the stuff we've had professionally laid, was taped at the edges.

whatever this means, it wasn't done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2018 07:05, tim... wrote:
My new house has a kitchen where the floor has been glued down across
the whole area with adhesive (looks like evostick, but I guess it's a
commercial version).

As I try and pull the old floor up it breaks off in small lumps

Is there some clever way to break down the adhesive (through the
flooring) so that it is easier to lift, or do I just have to go over the
whole floor with a scraper?

I recently used a SDS drill with hammer action and a chisel tool to take
up glued vinyl tiles. These were brittle as indeed yours sound brittle too.

Two areas were glued differently. One area came up in chips, the other
large chunks of tile. YMMV

Hard work and ear defenders but there is none left in the areas I worked on.

Some glues might be soluble in water. Possibly worth a soak but I don't
hold out much hope. Vinyl is impervious to water and I presume virtually
all solvents.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
news
On 09/09/2018 07:05, tim... wrote:
My new house has a kitchen where the floor has been glued down across the
whole area with adhesive (looks like evostick, but I guess it's a
commercial version).

As I try and pull the old floor up it breaks off in small lumps

Is there some clever way to break down the adhesive (through the
flooring) so that it is easier to lift, or do I just have to go over the
whole floor with a scraper?

I recently used a SDS drill with hammer action and a chisel tool to take
up glued vinyl tiles. These were brittle as indeed yours sound brittle
too.

not tiles, a single piece

and it isn't brittle. It's soft

as you try and leverage up the flooring to get a bit more off, the bit in
your hand breaks off

Two areas were glued differently. One area came up in chips, the other
large chunks of tile. YMMV

Hard work and ear defenders but there is none left in the areas I worked
on.

Some glues might be soluble in water. Possibly worth a soak but I don't
hold out much hope. Vinyl is impervious to water and I presume virtually
all solvents.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 September 2018 15:35:02 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message
news
On 09/09/2018 07:05, tim... wrote:
[...]

A garden spade used as a scraper might work.
Not as hard on the back and knees.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2018 17:31, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 9 September 2018 15:35:02 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message
news
On 09/09/2018 07:05, tim... wrote:
[...]

I've tried a gardening hoe on glued carpet with poor results, but it
might work for lino.

removing glued down padding from stairs miker Home Repair 1 June 2nd 07 05:01 AM
removing glued down carpet padding from stairs miker Home Repair 0 June 1st 07 05:55 PM
Glued down carpet Fred Home Ownership 2 September 30th 03 11:10 PM
Glued down carpet Fred Home Repair 0 September 30th 03 12:56 PM
Removing glued down vinyl flooring from concrete? Chris Wilson UK diy 2 July 10th 03 11:01 AM