Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing fuse wire with RCD - youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTXnSgpiCSw

A long ramble which basically says there is no point in replacing fuse
wire with a breaker because they shouldn't go that often.

My current view is that the ease of resetting a breaker compared to
****ing about with fuse wire (possibly in the dark) has much to recommend
it.

What does the team think about the video?

Also, is it worthwhile fitting breakers into the fuse board?

Have requested a picture of the set up; too busy to take one when I was up
there.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 29/08/2018 18:39, David wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTXnSgpiCSw

A long ramble which basically says there is no point in replacing fuse
wire with a breaker because they shouldn't go that often.

My current view is that the ease of resetting a breaker compared to
****ing about with fuse wire (possibly in the dark) has much to recommend
it.

What does the team think about the video?

Also, is it worthwhile fitting breakers into the fuse board?

Have requested a picture of the set up; too busy to take one when I was up
there.

Cheers

3m20s of the video.

That should say "That is NOT exactly the same as the fuse here."

Do not **** about with MCB replacements unless you have to [1], swap the
fuse box for a RCD protected CU.

[1] I am sure that someone will say that is all that electricians say,
but for the most part this is a DIY group and I have guided people
through fuse box to CU swaps without paying for an electrician.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 19:29:58 +0100, ARW wrote:

[...]

Waiting for a picture, but there looks to be a new RCD protecting the old
CU.

I didn't understand what was going on because I didn't have time to trace
everything through, but there is some new stuff and the old CU.

At the moment I am looking at making resetting a blown fuse easier. I
don't have the time to undertake a CU replacement and funding an
electrician to do this is well down the pecking order at the moment.

Just trying to estimate if a stop gap is worth doing.

Thanks

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 29/08/2018 19:41, David wrote:
[...]

For a one off on one circuit go for it.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 29 August 2018 19:41:38 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
[...]

You've not shown us the current fusebox, nor the RCD/ELCB/whatever providing some unknown level of shock protection. So nothing conclusive can be offered really.

MCB vs fusewi MCBs are easy to reset, more prone to false trips. Fusewire can be abused. MCBs are the choice for rented properties - no call outs, no dangerous miswiring by some drunk, no risk of handling live bits.

RCBOs can't be retrofitted to most rewirable fuse boxes.

MCBs are a couple of quid on ebay, so not much to lose.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 29/08/2018 18:39, David wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTXnSgpiCSw

A long ramble which basically says there is no point in replacing fuse
wire with a breaker because they shouldn't go that often.

My current view is that the ease of resetting a breaker compared to
****ing about with fuse wire (possibly in the dark) has much to recommend
it.

What does the team think about the video?

Also, is it worthwhile fitting breakers into the fuse board?

Have requested a picture of the set up; too busy to take one when I was up
there.

Cheers

3m20s of the video.

That should say "That is NOT exactly the same as the fuse here."

Do not **** about with MCB replacements unless you have to [1], swap the
fuse box for a RCD protected CU.

RCBOs Shirley? You don't want the entire supply brought down because
of a fault on one circuit.

[1] I am sure that someone will say that is all that electricians say,
but for the most part this is a DIY group and I have guided people
through fuse box to CU swaps without paying for an electrician.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

[...]

A split load RCD CU is a minimum. Ta for pointing that error of mine out.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd be a lot happier about offering advice,if I thought you knew the difference between fuses, mcb's rcd's and rcbo's
The opportunities for creating mayhem are wondrous
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 11:47:30 -0700, Cynic wrote:

I'd be a lot happier about offering advice,if I thought you knew the
difference between fuses, mcb's rcd's and rcbo's The opportunities for
creating mayhem are wondrous

Perhaps you could provide some clarity?

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Wrote in message:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 11:47:30 -0700, Cynic wrote:

I'd be a lot happier about offering advice,if I thought you knew the
difference between fuses, mcb's rcd's and rcbo's The opportunities for
creating mayhem are wondrous

Perhaps you could provide some clarity?

FFS - "oop north Leeds way" is not a lot of miles from ARWs home
turf .... Ask him if he'll do the whole thing ??
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2018 18:39, David wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTXnSgpiCSw

A long ramble which basically says there is no point in replacing fuse
wire with a breaker because they shouldn't go that often.

My current view is that the ease of resetting a breaker compared to
****ing about with fuse wire (possibly in the dark) has much to recommend
it.

What does the team think about the video?

Also, is it worthwhile fitting breakers into the fuse board?

I'll let you know if a fuse ever blows, its only been 30 years so far.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2018 18:39, David wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTXnSgpiCSw

A long ramble which basically says there is no point in replacing fuse
wire with a breaker because they shouldn't go that often.

Usually true...

My current view is that the ease of resetting a breaker compared to
****ing about with fuse wire (possibly in the dark) has much to recommend
it.

That's a good argument for modern MCBs - but not retrofitting them to an
old wylex CU.

What does the team think about the video?

Its a fair assessment of the situation IMHO.

Also, is it worthwhile fitting breakers into the fuse board?

Not really - since it does not address most of the shortcomings of those
old style fuse boxes i.e. lack of adequate numbers of circuits for a
modern install, and no way to incorporate RCD protection. You may also
find (depending on the age of the cables) that the BS3036 fuses might
leave some circuits without adequate fault protection (especially spurs
on ring circuits using a 1mm^2 earth or imperial equivalent)

About the only time it might be worth retrofitting would be on a
lighting circuit in a property where there are old or inform users, you
don't want the disruption of a CU replacement and there are still lots
of filament bulbs in use, and so there is some possibility of a nuisance
fuse blow on a lamp failure.

Have requested a picture of the set up; too busy to take one when I was up
there.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Of course its easier and if there is a fault you can have a days work for
you to find it if it blows the fuse every time. I never understood why old
fuses did not use a cartridge like plugs and appliances did, Seems strangely
retro even all those years ago and hands up those who have used strands from
stranded wire and a bit of guess to mend them when you misplace the roll of
fuse wire.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"David" wrote in message
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTXnSgpiCSw

A long ramble which basically says there is no point in replacing fuse
wire with a breaker because they shouldn't go that often.

My current view is that the ease of resetting a breaker compared to
****ing about with fuse wire (possibly in the dark) has much to recommend
it.

What does the team think about the video?

Also, is it worthwhile fitting breakers into the fuse board?

Have requested a picture of the set up; too busy to take one when I was up
there.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian Gaff
wrote:
Of course its easier and if there is a fault you can have a days work
for you to find it if it blows the fuse every time. I never understood
why old fuses did not use a cartridge like plugs and appliances did,
Seems strangely retro even all those years ago and hands up those who
have used strands from stranded wire and a bit of guess to mend them when
you misplace the roll of fuse wire. Brian

1. You could get cartridge fuses to fit some CUs

2. I suspect that when wire fuses were first brought in, cartridge fuses
hadn't been invented

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2018 08:52, charles wrote:
In article , Brian Gaff
wrote:
Of course its easier and if there is a fault you can have a days work
for you to find it if it blows the fuse every time. I never understood
why old fuses did not use a cartridge like plugs and appliances did,
Seems strangely retro even all those years ago and hands up those who
have used strands from stranded wire and a bit of guess to mend them when
you misplace the roll of fuse wire. Brian

1. You could get cartridge fuses to fit some CUs

2. I suspect that when wire fuses were first brought in, cartridge fuses
hadn't been invented

My parent's, house built in the 50's had cartridge fuses.

It was all metal cases too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Of course its easier and if there is a fault you can have a days work
for you to find it if it blows the fuse every time. I never understood
why old fuses did not use a cartridge like plugs and appliances did,
Seems strangely retro even all those years ago and hands up those who
have used strands from stranded wire and a bit of guess to mend them when
you misplace the roll of fuse wire. Brian

1. You could get cartridge fuses to fit some CUs

2. I suspect that when wire fuses were first brought in, cartridge fuses
hadn't been invented

I had cartridge fuses in my old house.

And a right PITA they were.

Instead of that roll of different fuse wires I inherited from my
granddad, and hadn't used up, I had to go out and buy one whenever a
light bulb popped the fuse.

Hard to find, and stupid prices in the shops too.

Andy