Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default twice bent garden fork

I bent a tine on my garden fork whilst abusing it years ago. Straightened it in the vice and used it gently since. I caught it on a stone the other week and bent the tine again, without enough force to call it abuse this time.
I am guessing that the tine is weak. I have access to heat, is there a way to improve the fork. I am more curious than concerned about the fork. It is not stainless steel.
thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not really, the fact that it bent in the first place and did not snap
probably says something about the material its made from, but of course if
its the same part its bound to be weakened.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"misterroy" wrote in message
I bent a tine on my garden fork whilst abusing it years ago. Straightened
it in the vice and used it gently since. I caught it on a stone the other
week and bent the tine again, without enough force to call it abuse this
time.
I am guessing that the tine is weak. I have access to heat, is there a way
to improve the fork. I am more curious than concerned about the fork. It
is not stainless steel.
thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2018 19:07, misterroy wrote:
I bent a tine on my garden fork whilst abusing it years ago. Straightened it in the vice and used it gently since. I caught it on a stone the other week and bent the tine again, without enough force to call it abuse this time.
I am guessing that the tine is weak. I have access to heat, is there a way to improve the fork. I am more curious than concerned about the fork. It is not stainless steel.
thanks

Personally, I would heat the "bent" bit up to red heat, and bend it
straight while hot. Then air cool, although once it has cooled well
below red heat you could speed the cooling by dipping it in water.

Exactly how you should quench and (perhaps) temper it to return it to
the original condition will depend on the carbon and alloy content. But
if it is a relatively cheap fork, what I have described should be OK.
You do risk weakening it if you bend it straight a second time without
heating (but in truth you would probably get away with it).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 22:09:47 +0100, newshound wrote:

Exactly how you should quench and (perhaps) temper it to return it to
the original condition will depend on the carbon and alloy content. But
if it is a relatively cheap fork, what I have described should be OK.
You do risk weakening it if you bend it straight a second time without
heating (but in truth you would probably get away with it).

If you dig up peat with a fork, do you get bog on the tine?