Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wooden worktop by sink with water staining - any way to revive?

Getting closer and close to our son being a home owner.

In the kitchen there is a nice wood worktop which has turned black around
the sink. Yes, it was a rental property. Looks like a wood block work
surface and far to good for a rental. Light colour.

Anyway, once the wood has been soaked long term and turned black is there
much that can be done to revive it?

Have a picture.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fileodgy_worktop.jpg.

My current thought is that it could be sanded down and then the whole
worktop stained in a much darker colour.

I assume that it could be cut out past the sink and another piece of
matching worktop biscuit jointed in but that could be complicated, I've
never done it, and there are tiles and stuff involved as well.

Painting the worktop in white gloss seems a bit extreme! Time for some
sticky backed plastic?

As a short term measure I assume that some sanding and treating with oil
might stop it getting any worse.

Suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 August 2018 19:11:51 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
In the kitchen there is a nice wood worktop which has turned black around
the sink. Yes, it was a rental property. Looks like a wood block work
surface and far to good for a rental. Light colour.
Anyway, once the wood has been soaked long term and turned black is there
much that can be done to revive it?

You might be lucky and be able to sand the muck out, but bear in mind that will leave a depression and it is next to the sink.

A protective piece of stainless steel fitted over it might be the easiest temporary fix. Or route it out and inset a chopping board or trivety thing.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Aug 2018 18:11:48 GMT, David wrote:

In the kitchen there is a nice wood worktop which has turned black around
the sink. Yes, it was a rental property. Looks like a wood block work
surface and far to good for a rental. Light colour.

Anyway, once the wood has been soaked long term and turned black is there
much that can be done to revive it?

Yes - Oxalic Acid . Wash several times with a solution of Oxalic Acid
will remove the black and restore the colour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2018 19:11, David wrote:
[...]

Give it a scrub with soap and water to get any surface dirt off. Then
strip the adjacent finish, and give it a light sanding. Have a look to
see what staining is left then.

Next treat the stains with some oxalic acid dissolved in warm water.
Apply, leave it to dry and then wash with fresh clean water. Let it dry
and look again. Repeat if necessary. Finally a fine sanding again, and
then refinish.

One of many examples of its use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ar5w7c9-s8

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2018 22:08, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Here is another better one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdDVOl0Xq4g

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , David
writes
[...]

Oxalic acid may lighten water stained wood.
--
Chris Holford
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2018 22:08, Peter Parry wrote:
On 2 Aug 2018 18:11:48 GMT, David wrote:

In the kitchen there is a nice wood worktop which has turned black around
the sink. Yes, it was a rental property. Looks like a wood block work
surface and far to good for a rental. Light colour.

Anyway, once the wood has been soaked long term and turned black is there
much that can be done to revive it?

Yes - Oxalic Acid . Wash several times with a solution of Oxalic Acid
will remove the black and restore the colour.

I think that might work. My guess would be iron tannin complexes formed
in the wood have turned it black. Or nasty black/drak green bacteria
algae - either way oxalic acid ought to be aggressive enough to zap it
without doing too much damage to the wood.

Peroxide would be another option to try as a bleach if the stains are
very stubborn but it might denature the wood.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2018 22:08, Peter Parry wrote:
On 2 Aug 2018 18:11:48 GMT, David wrote:

In the kitchen there is a nice wood worktop which has turned black around
the sink. Yes, it was a rental property. Looks like a wood block work
surface and far to good for a rental. Light colour.

Anyway, once the wood has been soaked long term and turned black is there
much that can be done to revive it?

Yes - Oxalic Acid . Wash several times with a solution of Oxalic Acid
will remove the black and restore the colour.

Any suggested source? I see Wickes do Kilrock Bar Keepers Friend - would
that be up to the job?

(I've a situation similar to the OP's - left a tin on the worktop, and
it's somehow left a black imprint in the oak)

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
In the kitchen there is a nice wood worktop which has turned black
around the sink. Yes, it was a rental property. Looks like a wood block
work surface and far to good for a rental. Light colour.
Anyway, once the wood has been soaked long term and turned black is
there much that can be done to revive it?

You might be lucky and be able to sand the muck out, but bear in mind
that will leave a depression and it is next to the sink.

A protective piece of stainless steel fitted over it might be the
easiest temporary fix. Or route it out and inset a chopping board or
trivety thing.

Owain

Stainless could be an attractive option if the Oxalic Acid doesn't do the
trick.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Aug 2018 09:12:14 +0100, RJH wrote:

On 02/08/2018 22:08, Peter Parry wrote:
On 2 Aug 2018 18:11:48 GMT, David wrote:

In the kitchen there is a nice wood worktop which has turned black
around the sink. Yes, it was a rental property. Looks like a wood
block work surface and far to good for a rental. Light colour.

Anyway, once the wood has been soaked long term and turned black is
there much that can be done to revive it?

Yes - Oxalic Acid . Wash several times with a solution of Oxalic Acid
will remove the black and restore the colour.

Any suggested source? I see Wickes do Kilrock Bar Keepers Friend - would
that be up to the job?

(I've a situation similar to the OP's - left a tin on the worktop, and
it's somehow left a black imprint in the oak)

Oxalic Acid is available on Amazon.

Next question is how much I would need!

It isn't expensive, but probably not something to have lying about for
many years.

100 grams be enough?

Something like
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxalic-dihy...g-Delivery/dp/
B07D1R9Z3M/
perhaps?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2018 10:33, David wrote:
[...]

Probably - if you look at the way he uses it in the videos I posted, a
scoop of it is usually enough.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
In the kitchen there is a nice wood worktop which has turned black
around the sink. Yes, it was a rental property. Looks like a wood
block work surface and far to good for a rental. Light colour.
Anyway, once the wood has been soaked long term and turned black is
there much that can be done to revive it?

You might be lucky and be able to sand the muck out, but bear in mind
that will leave a depression and it is next to the sink.

A protective piece of stainless steel fitted over it might be the
easiest temporary fix. Or route it out and inset a chopping board or
trivety thing.

Owain

Stainless could be an attractive option if the Oxalic Acid doesn't do
the trick.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Just priced 600*300mm in 1.2mm brushed SS.
£80.
Ouch.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Where from though? Amazon ?

Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Trapping water under there is a great way to grow rot & mould.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

But trivial to seal along the edges when installing it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2018 09:12, RJH wrote:
On 02/08/2018 22:08, Peter Parry wrote:
On 2 Aug 2018 18:11:48 GMT, David wrote:

In the kitchen there is a nice wood worktop which has turned black
around
the sink. Yes, it was a rental property. Looks like a wood block work
surface and far to good for a rental. Light colour.

Anyway, once the wood has been soaked long term and turned black is
there
much that can be done to revive it?

Yes - Oxalic Acid .Â* Wash several times with a solution of Oxalic Acid
will remove the black andÂ* restore the colour.

Any suggested source? I see Wickes do Kilrock Bar Keepers Friend - would
that be up to the job?

I think it's just a variation of cream cleaner - so likely, no.

--
Cheers, Rob