Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimmer and LED

I have just had a touch dimmer fail.

I had used it to control a bar with 4 x 50 watt GU10s.

I replaced with LEDs and ov course it wouldn't work as it had a 40watt
minimum load requirement.

I put a Halogen back in and it worked - but after a while the dimmer
failed. Could this be due to it seeing a mixed load?

I have now replaced the dimmer with one that says 4 watt LED min.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2,
DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just had a touch dimmer fail.

I had used it to control a bar with 4 x 50 watt GU10s.

I replaced with LEDs and ov course it wouldn't work as it had a 40watt
minimum load requirement.

I put a Halogen back in and it worked - but after a while the dimmer
failed. Could this be due to it seeing a mixed load?

I have now replaced the dimmer with one that says 4 watt LED min.

Dimmable LEDs usually need a trailing edge dimmer. Depending on design,
long before LEDs arrived, some were but most weren't. I've got MK grid
dimmers in one room fitted in the late 80s, and they are fine with LEDs.
But other much newer ones which had to be changed.

So saying, I'm not sure why a LED would cause the dimmer to fail. Where
I've mixed tungsten and LED with an 'old' dimmer, the LED just failed to
dim.

--
*On the seventh day He brewed beer *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Aug 2018 11:30:32 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

I have just had a touch dimmer fail.

I had used it to control a bar with 4 x 50 watt GU10s.

I replaced with LEDs and ov course it wouldn't work as it had a 40watt
minimum load requirement.

I put a Halogen back in and it worked - but after a while the dimmer
failed. Could this be due to it seeing a mixed load?

I have now replaced the dimmer with one that says 4 watt LED min.

Was it a dimmable LED? As far as I can see, some are and some are
not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2,
DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just had a touch dimmer fail.

I had used it to control a bar with 4 x 50 watt GU10s.

I replaced with LEDs and ov course it wouldn't work as it had a 40watt
minimum load requirement.

I put a Halogen back in and it worked - but after a while the dimmer
failed. Could this be due to it seeing a mixed load?

Were the LEDs officially capable of being dimmed?

I have now replaced the dimmer with one that says 4 watt LED min.

Dimmable LEDs usually need a trailing edge dimmer. Depending on design,
long before LEDs arrived, some were but most weren't. I've got MK grid
dimmers in one room fitted in the late 80s, and they are fine with LEDs.
But other much newer ones which had to be changed.

So saying, I'm not sure why a LED would cause the dimmer to fail. Where
I've mixed tungsten and LED with an 'old' dimmer, the LED just failed to
dim.

It fails to dim by drawing progressively more current during the
shortened on part of the mains cycle until the semiconductor maximum
peak current gets exceeded. Even some dimmers that are supposed to be OK
with dimmable LEDs seem to suffer unexpected failures in service.

I know someone who has had several fail inside the warrantee period
replaced with identical ones from a later batch that also failed.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have just had a touch dimmer fail.

I had used it to control a bar with 4 x 50 watt GU10s.

I replaced with LEDs and ov course it wouldn't work as it had a 40watt
minimum load requirement.

I put a Halogen back in and it worked - but after a while the dimmer
failed. Could this be due to it seeing a mixed load?

I have now replaced the dimmer with one that says 4 watt LED min.

Was it a dimmable LED? As far as I can see, some are and some are
not.

And some that say they are just flicker instead

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have just had a touch dimmer fail.

I had used it to control a bar with 4 x 50 watt GU10s.

I replaced with LEDs and ov course it wouldn't work as it had a 40watt
minimum load requirement.

I put a Halogen back in and it worked - but after a while the dimmer
failed. Could this be due to it seeing a mixed load?

I have now replaced the dimmer with one that says 4 watt LED min.

Was it a dimmable LED? As far as I can see, some are and some are
not.

And some that say they are just flicker instead

Like fluorescent lights, I've seen them flicker?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have just had a touch dimmer fail.

I had used it to control a bar with 4 x 50 watt GU10s.

I replaced with LEDs and ov course it wouldn't work as it had a 40watt
minimum load requirement.

I put a Halogen back in and it worked - but after a while the dimmer
failed. Could this be due to it seeing a mixed load?

I have now replaced the dimmer with one that says 4 watt LED min.

Was it a dimmable LED? As far as I can see, some are and some are
not.

And some that say they are just flicker instead

Like fluorescent lights, I've seen them flicker?

I find if you look out the the peripheral area of the eye the flicker
is more conspicuous.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have just had a touch dimmer fail.

I had used it to control a bar with 4 x 50 watt GU10s.

I replaced with LEDs and ov course it wouldn't work as it had a 40watt
minimum load requirement.

I put a Halogen back in and it worked - but after a while the dimmer
failed. Could this be due to it seeing a mixed load?

I have now replaced the dimmer with one that says 4 watt LED min.

Was it a dimmable LED? As far as I can see, some are and some are
not.

And some that say they are just flicker instead

Like fluorescent lights, I've seen them flicker?

I find if you look out the the peripheral area of the eye the flicker
is more conspicuous.

Yes it's something to do with our ancestors which needed to motice movement more than colours.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The LEDs were marked as dimmable.

The touch dimmer was getting erratic at turning on and eventually failed
completely. (Doyle & Tratt brand)

regarding LED and dimmer switches ss UK diy 2 September 1st 15 11:43 AM
LED dimmer Steve B[_13_] Metalworking 26 August 19th 12 08:50 PM
Dimmer and not dimmer Invisible Man[_2_] UK diy 6 December 2nd 09 05:44 PM
selling led lighting such as led christmas light,led decorative light,led house lamp led lighting UK diy 0 February 6th 07 06:45 AM
LED,LED Lamp,LED Lights,LED Display,Automotive Lamp,LED Chip,LED Module [email protected] Electronics 0 December 4th 05 11:08 AM