Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q Community re-use

I am undertaking a garage/workshop clearout... everything must go -
mostly to the local tip.

However, I've got a whole bunch of new bits, open packets with parts
taken out, stuff that could be re-used. All sorts of everything. And
I've been thinking about an alternative to either dumping it all (the
waste hurts), or donating them to some charity, but all the local
charity shops are mostly interested in bric-a-brac or clothes.

An internet search came up with this:

https://www.diy.com/corporate/community/waste-donation/

I have no affiliation.

Has anybody used this? What was your experience like?

Any alternatives?

Thanks
Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

WeeBob wrote:

An internet search came up with this:
https://www.diy.com/corporate/community/waste-donation/

Surely that's a mechanism for them to get shot of their tat, not you to
get rid of yours?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Realised after posting that the page didn't say they accepted donations
from joe public.

Phoned up local branch... weren't interested.

Any other ideas for organisations that may get some value from all the
opened, unused stuff?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

WeeBob wrote:

Realised after posting that the page didn't say they accepted donations
from joe public.

I just reduces their land-fill charges ...

On 2018-08-01 09:53, WeeBob wrote:
I am undertaking a garage/workshop clearout... everything must go -
mostly to the local tip.

However, I've got a whole bunch of new bits, open packets with parts
taken out, stuff that could be re-used. All sorts of everything. And
I've been thinking about an alternative to either dumping it all (the
waste hurts), or donating them to some charity, but all the local
charity shops are mostly interested in bric-a-brac or clothes.

An internet search came up with this:

https://www.diy.com/corporate/community/waste-donation/

I have no affiliation.

Has anybody used this? What was your experience like?

Any alternatives?

Thanks
Â*Â*Bob

Is there a MakerSpace or HackSpace near you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

WeeBob wrote:

Realised after posting that the page didn't say they accepted donations
from joe public.

I just reduces their land-fill charges ...

Our local B&Q has a bin of wood offcuts at the exit, marked "Free
waste wood". (and nobody, AFAICS, checking for waste carriers
licences(!))

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 09:53:33 +0100, WeeBob wrote:

I am undertaking a garage/workshop clearout... everything must go -
mostly to the local tip.

However, I've got a whole bunch of new bits, open packets with parts
taken out, stuff that could be re-used. All sorts of everything. And
I've been thinking about an alternative to either dumping it all (the
waste hurts), or donating them to some charity, but all the local
charity shops are mostly interested in bric-a-brac or clothes.

An internet search came up with this:

https://www.diy.com/corporate/community/waste-donation/

I have no affiliation.

Has anybody used this? What was your experience like?

Any alternatives?

Thanks
Bob

Do you have a local Freegle or Freecycle group (Google for them). All
sorts of stuff gets listed there and I've used it to get rid of all
sorts of stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 August 2018 10:01:40 UTC+1, WeeBob wrote:
Any other ideas for organisations that may get some value from all the
opened, unused stuff?

In my experience charity shops will sell almost anything, although the boutique-y ones have pretensions. Avoid anywhere that uses tie-on luggage lables.

I used to volunteer in one, and we sold a used toilet (bought to use for a planter).

Men's Shed?
https://menssheds.org.uk/

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 August 2018 09:53:36 UTC+1, WeeBob wrote:
I am undertaking a garage/workshop clearout... everything must go -
mostly to the local tip.

However, I've got a whole bunch of new bits, open packets with parts
taken out, stuff that could be re-used. All sorts of everything. And
I've been thinking about an alternative to either dumping it all (the
waste hurts), or donating them to some charity, but all the local
charity shops are mostly interested in bric-a-brac or clothes.

An internet search came up with this:

https://www.diy.com/corporate/community/waste-donation/

I have no affiliation.

Has anybody used this? What was your experience like?

Any alternatives?

Thanks
Bob

smaller local charities often take anything saleable. Any form of damage is no-go though. Invite them over to help themselves.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2018 11:03, Graham. wrote:
WeeBob wrote:

Realised after posting that the page didn't say they accepted donations
from joe public.

I just reduces their land-fill charges ...

Our local B&Q has a bin of wood offcuts at the exit, marked "Free
waste wood". (and nobody, AFAICS, checking for waste carriers
licences(!))

Presumably, if you are taking it, you have a use for it and so it is no
longer waste.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

Our local B&Q has a bin of wood offcuts at the exit, marked "Free
waste wood". (and nobody, AFAICS, checking for waste carriers
licences(!))

Make sure you throw out your crisp wrappers before driving away

https://www.metro.news/lunch-trash-in-van-lands-roofer-a-fine/1168715/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

WeeBob wrote:

Realised after posting that the page didn't say they accepted donations
from joe public.

I just reduces their land-fill charges ...

Our local B&Q has a bin of wood offcuts at the exit, marked "Free
waste wood". (and nobody, AFAICS, checking for waste carriers
licences(!))

Presumably, if you are taking it, you have a use for it and so it is no
longer waste.

SteveW

If only the legislators were as pragmatic as you.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%