Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Too many gadgets

I have just spend nearly an hour trying to track down the source of an
occasional double beep every couple of minutes, from somewhere in the
house. Mobile phones - no, handline phones - no, weather station
warning - no, laptop -no, Pi - no, a clock somewhere -no, getting
warmer upstairs and found it. Linked mains fire alarm system back up
battery warning, on its way out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2018 13:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have just spend nearly an hour trying to track down the source of an
occasional double beep every couple of minutes, from somewhere in the
house. Mobile phones - no, handline phones - no, weather station warning
- no, laptop -no, Pi - no, a clock somewhere -no, getting warmer
upstairs and found it. Linked mains fire alarm system back up battery
warning, on its way out.

Pah! Wait until you take get the ladder, remove the mains, interlinked
heat alarm off the kitchen ceiling, and *then* find it's the CO alarm
that someone stuck at the back of the shelf of cookery books that's beeping.

I blame BT for starting it with those bloody Trimphones.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 July 2018 13:40:04 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have just spend nearly an hour trying to track down the source of an
occasional double beep every couple of minutes, from somewhere in the
house. Mobile phones - no, handline phones - no, weather station
warning - no, laptop -no, Pi - no, a clock somewhere -no, getting
warmer upstairs and found it. Linked mains fire alarm system back up
battery warning, on its way out.

I've heard some parrots and other birds can immitaite a fire alarm now that would be bloody annoying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Did you know them bloody trimphones had a radioactive gas in a glass tube
behind the dial?
It is apparently now illegal to do such things. I've never heard of anyone
being injured by a trimfone.

Soon unfortunately, some internet connected devices like home automation
devices, wahing machines fridges all bleep different bleeps if they loose
the wifi signal.
My current dumb waher bleeps for errors as well but luckily most of them
are door not closed, filter clogged in any case so there is little choice to
check!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Robin" wrote in message
On 23/07/2018 13:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have just spend nearly an hour trying to track down the source of an
occasional double beep every couple of minutes, from somewhere in the
house. Mobile phones - no, handline phones - no, weather station
warning - no, laptop -no, Pi - no, a clock somewhere -no, getting warmer
upstairs and found it. Linked mains fire alarm system back up battery
warning, on its way out.

Pah! Wait until you take get the ladder, remove the mains, interlinked
heat alarm off the kitchen ceiling, and *then* find it's the CO alarm that
someone stuck at the back of the shelf of cookery books that's beeping.

I blame BT for starting it with those bloody Trimphones.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 23/07/2018 15:34, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 23 July 2018 13:40:04 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have just spend nearly an hour trying to track down the source of an
occasional double beep every couple of minutes, from somewhere in the
house. Mobile phones - no, handline phones - no, weather station
warning - no, laptop -no, Pi - no, a clock somewhere -no, getting
warmer upstairs and found it. Linked mains fire alarm system back up
battery warning, on its way out.

I've heard some parrots and other birds can immitaite a fire alarm now that would be bloody annoying.

Could be worse, they could imitate the wife.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 23/07/2018 16:58, Brian Gaff wrote:
I have just spend nearly an hour trying to track down the source of an
occasional double beep every couple of minutes, from somewhere in the
house. Mobile phones - no, handline phones - no, weather station warning -
no, laptop -no, Pi - no, a clock somewhere -no, getting warmer upstairs and
found it. Linked mains fire alarm system back up battery warning, on its
way out.

Worst search & find I had was when son was staying over xmas, he is in
RAF and they they use white noise for their children to block out
aircraft noise taking off.
So I could hearwater running searched the house top to bottom (minus
childs room) checked the loft nothing. After 2 days I asked son if he
could help. He ****ed himself laughing when he explained it was a white
noise of water running to get his son to sleep.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Did you know them bloody trimphones had a radioactive gas in a glass tube
behind the dial?
It is apparently now illegal to do such things. I've never heard of anyone
being injured by a trimfone.

But if they had been, you wouldn’t normally get to hear about it
because it would have increased the cancer risk, not produced a
sudden death that could be explained by the phone breaking etc.

Soon unfortunately, some internet connected devices like home automation
devices, wahing machines fridges all bleep different bleeps if they loose
the wifi signal.

None of mine do. The only real source of unexpected
beeps is web sites that beep when the chat pops up
to see if you want to chat with their sales droid etc.

My current dumb waher

?

bleeps for errors as well but luckily most of them are door not closed,
filter clogged in any case so there is little choice to check!

I did have a hell of a problem with a very quiet very
occasional beep in my dad's flat after he moved into
a retirement village. It was obviously a smoke alarm
that had got packed into a box when he was moving
and had never been unpacked in the new place.

Beeped very infrequently so it could still beep with a
flat battery and the packing made it very hard to work
out which of his boxes of stuff it had been packed in.

"Robin" wrote in message
On 23/07/2018 13:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have just spend nearly an hour trying to track down the source of an
occasional double beep every couple of minutes, from somewhere in the
house. Mobile phones - no, handline phones - no, weather station
warning - no, laptop -no, Pi - no, a clock somewhere -no, getting warmer
upstairs and found it. Linked mains fire alarm system back up battery
warning, on its way out.

Pah! Wait until you take get the ladder, remove the mains, interlinked
heat alarm off the kitchen ceiling, and *then* find it's the CO alarm
that someone stuck at the back of the shelf of cookery books that's
beeping.

I blame BT for starting it with those bloody Trimphones.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
[...]

Surprised it didnt have the side effect of making him **** the bed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 04:59:42 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

None of mine do. The only real source of unexpected
beeps is web sites that beep

Your head does, ALL the time, senile oaf! Or where does your daftness come
from, senile oaf?

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rot Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 05:10:41 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

Surprised it didn¢t have the side effect of making him **** the bed.

You would know something about THAT, you incontinent senile geezer!

--
Cursitor Doom about Rot Speed:
"The man is a conspicuous and unashamed ignoramus."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 13:40:00 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have just spend nearly an hour trying to track down the source of an
occasional double beep every couple of minutes, from somewhere in the
house. Mobile phones - no, handline phones - no, weather station warning
- no, laptop -no, Pi - no, a clock somewhere -no, getting warmer
upstairs and found it. Linked mains fire alarm system back up battery
warning, on its way out.

We have quite a few Bosch appliances, and they all have the same beeper
module.

Freezer, oven, kettle, washing machine, tumble dryer...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2018 17:02, Brian Gaff wrote:
Did you know them bloody trimphones had a radioactive gas in a glass tube
behind the dial?
It is apparently now illegal to do such things. I've never heard of anyone
being injured by a trimfone.

The gas was probably tritium (radioactive isotope of hydrogen) and you
can still get glass tubes filled with it, for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigalight-...2380689&sr=8-1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2018 13:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have just spend nearly an hour trying to track down the source of an
occasional double beep every couple of minutes, from somewhere in the
house. Mobile phones - no, handline phones - no, weather station warning
- no, laptop -no, Pi - no, a clock somewhere -no, getting warmer
upstairs and found it. Linked mains fire alarm system back up battery
warning, on its way out.

We had an intermittent beep. If we were in the living room, it sounded
like it was in the kitchen and vice-versa. It took us days to track down
to the chip-reading cat flap in the back door!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2018 15:34, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 23 July 2018 13:40:04 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have just spend nearly an hour trying to track down the source of an
occasional double beep every couple of minutes, from somewhere in the
house. Mobile phones - no, handline phones - no, weather station
warning - no, laptop -no, Pi - no, a clock somewhere -no, getting
warmer upstairs and found it. Linked mains fire alarm system back up
battery warning, on its way out.

I've heard some parrots and other birds can immitaite a fire alarm now that would be bloody annoying.

There's a wild bird around here that does a pretty good impression of a
trimphone.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I noticed when recently changing the battery in one of those remote
mains switch radio things that it bleeped when I put a new battery in it,
however if it was meant to bleep when the battery went down, it failed
miserably as when I changed it you had to be within 6 inches of the switch
for it to work. and no it did not beep when you pressed its button either.
Mystified really by some of the tech.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news
On 23/07/2018 13:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have just spend nearly an hour trying to track down the source of an
occasional double beep every couple of minutes, from somewhere in the
house. Mobile phones - no, handline phones - no, weather station
warning - no, laptop -no, Pi - no, a clock somewhere -no, getting warmer
upstairs and found it. Linked mains fire alarm system back up battery
warning, on its way out.

We had an intermittent beep. If we were in the living room, it sounded
like it was in the kitchen and vice-versa. It took us days to track down
to the chip-reading cat flap in the back door!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 23/07/2018 23:05, Steve Walker wrote:
I've heard some parrots and other birds can immitaite a fire alarm now
that would be bloody annoying.

There's a wild bird around here that does a pretty good impression of a
trimphone.

My neighbours son (4 years old) done a good impression of postman pat
and phoned the fekcin fire brigade.
The funny part was his dad was a policeman and his best mate was a
fireman who happened to be on duty who phoned his mate on the way to the
`false alarm`to let him know his house was on fire (which it wasnt)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2018 22:23, Gareth wrote:
On 23/07/2018 17:02, Brian Gaff wrote:
Did you know them bloody trimphones had a radioactive gas in a
glass tube behind the dial? It is apparently now illegal to do such
things. I've never heard of anyone being injured by a trimfone.

The gas was probably tritium (radioactive isotope of hydrogen) and
you can still get glass tubes filled with it, for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigalight-...2380689&sr=8-1

Now you have scared harry letting him know you can get highly
radioactive stuff (short halflife) on the internet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 24 July 2018 14:58:21 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 23/07/2018 22:23, Gareth wrote:
On 23/07/2018 17:02, Brian Gaff wrote:
Did you know them bloody trimphones had a radioactive gas in a
glass tube behind the dial? It is apparently now illegal to do such
things. I've never heard of anyone being injured by a trimfone.

The gas was probably tritium (radioactive isotope of hydrogen) and
you can still get glass tubes filled with it, for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigalight-...2380689&sr=8-1

Now you have scared harry letting him know you can get highly
radioactive stuff (short halflife) on the internet.

Like socks you mean as I'm sure my socks must have a half life because I buy them in pairs and one disapears !. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2018 15:28, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 24 July 2018 14:58:21 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 23/07/2018 22:23, Gareth wrote:
On 23/07/2018 17:02, Brian Gaff wrote:
Did you know them bloody trimphones had a radioactive gas in a
glass tube behind the dial? It is apparently now illegal to do such
things. I've never heard of anyone being injured by a trimfone.

The gas was probably tritium (radioactive isotope of hydrogen) and
you can still get glass tubes filled with it, for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigalight-...2380689&sr=8-1

Now you have scared harry letting him know you can get highly
radioactive stuff (short halflife) on the internet.

Like socks you mean as I'm sure my socks must have a half life because I buy them in pairs and one disapears !. :-)

Well some socks will be radioactive, wool based ones probably are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2018 13:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have just spend nearly an hour trying to track down the source of an
occasional double beep every couple of minutes, from somewhere in the
house. Mobile phones - no, handline phones - no, weather station warning
- no, laptop -no, Pi - no, a clock somewhere -no, getting warmer
upstairs and found it. Linked mains fire alarm system back up battery
warning, on its way out.

It gets worse when the gadget has been put away for safe keeping in a
drawer or box "just in case it will come in useful one day in the
future" - and the beeps only occur once every 5 minutes during the night.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" Wrote in message:
On 23/07/2018 22:23, Gareth wrote:
On 23/07/2018 17:02, Brian Gaff wrote:
Did you know them bloody trimphones had a radioactive gas in a
glass tube behind the dial? It is apparently now illegal to do such
things. I've never heard of anyone being injured by a trimfone.

The gas was probably tritium (radioactive isotope of hydrogen) and
you can still get glass tubes filled with it, for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigalight-...2380689&sr=8-1

Now you have scared harry letting him know you can get highly
radioactive stuff (short halflife) on the internet.

Shurely with a short half-life the trimphone dial would have lost
its means of illumination rather pointlessly quickly?

Almost as quickly, in fact, as Harry forgets what he's been taught
about half-lives...
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2018 09:27, Jim K wrote:
"dennis@home" Wrote in message:
On 23/07/2018 22:23, Gareth wrote:
On 23/07/2018 17:02, Brian Gaff wrote:
Did you know them bloody trimphones had a radioactive gas in a
glass tube behind the dial? It is apparently now illegal to do such
things. I've never heard of anyone being injured by a trimfone.

The gas was probably tritium (radioactive isotope of hydrogen) and
you can still get glass tubes filled with it, for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigalight-...2380689&sr=8-1

Now you have scared harry letting him know you can get highly
radioactive stuff (short halflife) on the internet.

Shurely with a short half-life the trimphone dial would have lost
its means of illumination rather pointlessly quickly?

Almost as quickly, in fact, as Harry forgets what he's been taught
about half-lives...

Well harry thinks things with a half life in tens of thousands of years
are highly radioactive so its enough to scare him.

I think a trimephone (light) has a half life of just over 12 years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
There's a wild bird around here that does a pretty good impression of a
trimphone.

Must be a pretty old bird. ;-)

--
*Two many clicks spoil the browse *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
There's a wild bird around here that does a pretty good impression of a
trimphone.

Must be a pretty old bird. ;-)

Lots of old birds here, we are surrounded by bungalows!

As to the flying trimphone, until now I have assumed that it was a
purely natural call, but who knows?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

As to the flying trimphone, until now I have assumed that it was a
purely natural call, but who knows?

Perhaps Martyn Rowlands made the trimphone imitate his favourite bird call?