Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default failed connecto wi-fi

Ausus Eee PC notebook, winxp
I only use for going on hols and turned on today to update but it wont
connect to house wi-fi (virgin) previous to this it was ok.

Message "windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the
network virgin media."

It appears to be stuck at validating identity.

Apart from charging the battery every 4 weeks it has not been properly
used since May. I have rebooted the device several times.

Any ides to resolve would be helpful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

"windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network
virgin media."

Normally a home network would use a pre-shared key rather than a
certificate like an enterprise network, try forgetting and manually
re-creating the wifi connection?

https://kb.netgear.com/7334/Validation-and-Certificate-errors-in-Win-XP-and-Vista
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

"windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network
virgin media."

Normally a home network would use a pre-shared key rather than a
certificate like an enterprise network, try forgetting and manually
re-creating the wifi connection?

Or maybe easier to just disable 802.1x

https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/windows-was-unable-to-find-a-certificate-to-log-you-on-to-the-network/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 14:46:28 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

"windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network
virgin media."

Normally a home network would use a pre-shared key rather than a
certificate like an enterprise network, try forgetting and manually
re-creating the wifi connection?

Or maybe easier to just disable 802.1x

https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/windows-was-unable-to-find-a-certificate-to-log-you-on-to-the-network/

Could it be that the clock is out?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

disable 802.1x

Could it be that the clock is out?

Possible, but I normally associate that with kerberos problems logging
on to windows domains ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 18/07/2018 17:00, Andy Burns wrote:
T i m wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

disable 802.1x

Could it be that the clock is out?

Possible, but I normally associate that with kerberos problems logging
on to windows domains ...

The clock is ok and I have disabled 802.1x and still no connection.Its
still trying to validate idenity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 14:40:16 +0100, ss wrote:

Ausus Eee PC notebook, winxp
I only use for going on hols and turned on today to update but it wont
connect to house wi-fi (virgin) previous to this it was ok.

So this Netbook has previously connected to the same router with no
changes since the last time?

Do you have another AP / Hotspot (phone) you could try connecting to?

Do you have a Live Linux USB you could try on there (my eeePC is
running Mint).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 18/07/2018 17:47, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 14:40:16 +0100, ss wrote:

Ausus Eee PC notebook, winxp
I only use for going on hols and turned on today to update but it wont
connect to house wi-fi (virgin) previous to this it was ok.

So this Netbook has previously connected to the same router with no
changes since the last time?

Do you have another AP / Hotspot (phone) you could try connecting to?

Do you have a Live Linux USB you could try on there (my eeePC is
running Mint).

Cheers, T i m

Checked my wifes laptop and that was working, Tried an old laptop that
wouldnt work, so phoned Virgin.
They reset the modem but still wouldnt work, the guy eventually gave up
and said I could go through to technical but would cost £30....no thanks!
So I came off the phone and reentered the password and ....hey presto it
was working, now tried the old laptop re entered the password and thats
also working.
All back to normal now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 21:41:52 +0100, ss wrote:

snip

Checked my wifes laptop and that was working, Tried an old laptop that
wouldnt work, so phoned Virgin.
They reset the modem but still wouldnt work, the guy eventually gave up
and said I could go through to technical but would cost £30....no thanks!

;-(

So I came off the phone and reentered the password and ....hey presto it
was working, now tried the old laptop re entered the password and thats
also working.

Bizarre. I have sometimes found resetting the router (I'm with VM but
set their router into modem mode and use my own) cures the most
obscure of faults.

All back to normal now.

Sweet.

Enjoy yer hols. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 06:05:02 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 22:56:49 +0100, T i m wrote:

(I'm with VM but set their router into modem mode and use my own)

Best to. They have modified the base router code to crap.

I sorta have to as my router (FritzBox! FON WAN) carries two VOIP
lines.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maybe you forgot you changed the password. I've seen this happen.

Most times deleting the connection and making a new manual one fixed this
sort of silliness. Can you actually see a list of connections, could it be
trying to get on the wrong one?
If its been used elsewhere often it gets its knickers in a twist over which
preferred connection is which.
Brian

--
----- --