Bob

Default Raite DVD Player Power supply failed

Raite AVPhile 715

I just got this unit for free. I was told it worked
"intermittently". I opened it up, and discovered what looks like
a computer DVD drive inside. Standard PC power connector, and
what looks like an IDE signal cable.

I checked the power supply voltages at the drive. 5V was right
on, 12 volt measured 17V. I'm guessing that would cause the
problem. Hopefully, it hasn't fried the electronics. I haven't
had a chance to try to figure out the power supply problem yet,
but because of the similarity to PC components, I wonder if this
drive might be tested in a PC. Is the signal cable really IDE
standard like it looks?

There is a zener in the power supply that had brown areas burned
into the PC board around it. Would the zener likely BE the
problem, or just an incidental effect of the problem?

Bob

Bob

I tried replacing the fried ZD3 15 V zener with 3 5.1V zeners in
series. Result - zener smoke. Noticed afterwards that the PC land
connecting one end of the zener to a choke was "open". I don't
know if it was open immediately after the zener was replaced, or
whether this would have caused the zener failure.

Anyone know how I could obtain a schematic for this power supply
(Raite AV715)?

Bob

Bob

"Bob" wrote in message
newssFnb.40811$9E1.160876@attbi_s52...
[...]

I replaced the final capacitor on the 5V output, which appeared
to be partially shorted. I still get a a reading of 17V on the
12V supply with all the boards powered. If I unplug the power to
the main board, the 12V supply drops to 11V. The 12V supply seems
to be derived from the circuitry producing the 5V supply, such
that loading the 5V drives the 12V up. Is this a power supply
problem or a mainboard 5V loading problem? I could sure use some
suggestions.

Bob

Bob

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Problem solved. Replaced ZD3 and a few caps. Contact me for
further info.

Bob