Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Replacing immersion heater

This looks a bit tight without removing the heating pump. What do the
team think? It's an 11 inch 3kw immersion heater.

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16s/2

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16x/2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

What do the team think?

Try slacking the pump and rotate it a little, if not you've got the gate
valves ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 18/07/2018 11:05, Andy Burns wrote:
GB wrote:

What do the team think?

Try slacking the pump and rotate it a little, if not you've got the gate
valves ...

I've checked that the valves at least turn. Whether they are watertight
is another matter. Whether I have the strength to undo the nuts is yet
another. Hence my question.

I'm trying to work out whether to buy a genuine branded Megaflo
immersion heater for silly money or some OEM said-to-be-equivalent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2018 12:02, Tim+ wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
This looks a bit tight without removing the heating pump. What do the
team think? It's an 11 inch 3kw immersion heater.

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16s/2

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16x/2

Are you sure it has to be drawn straight out? Could you angle it
once the threaded part has been undone?

Check it against the one that going back in as the replacement?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB submitted this idea :
This looks a bit tight without removing the heating pump. What do the team
think? It's an 11 inch 3kw immersion heater.

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16s/2

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16x/2

Easy - once the thread is released, it will tilt over to be well clear
of the pump. The element is much narrower that the boss.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2018 11:03, GB wrote:
This looks a bit tight without removing the heating pump. What do the
team think?Â* It's an 11 inch 3kw immersion heater.

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16s/2

That'll **** out of there.
Masses of room, it'll come out at a rather acute angle if needs be.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2018 11:03, GB wrote:
This looks a bit tight without removing the heating pump. What do the
team think?Â* It's an 11 inch 3kw immersion heater.

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16s/2

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16x/2

I would expect that once the immersion boss is unscrewed, you will be
able to draw the rest out at an angle.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 18/07/2018 13:47, John Rumm wrote:
On 18/07/2018 11:03, GB wrote:
This looks a bit tight without removing the heating pump. What do the
team think?Â* It's an 11 inch 3kw immersion heater.

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16s/2

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16x/2

I would expect that once the immersion boss is unscrewed, you will be
able to draw the rest out at an angle.

It's a folded immersion, so I think it will fill quite a large part of
the boss. I'll check when I get the replacement.

Thanks, all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

What do the team think?

Try slacking the pump and rotate it a little, if not you've got the
gate valves ...

I've checked that the valves at least turn. Whether they are watertight
is another matter. Whether I have the strength to undo the nuts is yet
another. Hence my question.

I'm trying to work out whether to buy a genuine branded Megaflo
immersion heater for silly money or some OEM said-to-be-equivalent.

There also seems to be a choice between those recommended for only soft
water areas and those soft or hard water areas.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p12829

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p49984

See the text descriptions for those above items. The latter often
labelled "long life"

https://www.thermcouk.com/immersion-heater-info/

The last time I changed a pump the valves turned, the side of the valve
that connected to the pipe came off easily but the join from the valve
to the pump was stuck fast, even when I removed the lot and had the pump
in a vice and hitting the valve with a lump hammer. The valves were
around 25 years old. If you don't have to move the pump don't try it

This was when I also found that the fixing on different pumps may have
standard distance between the two threads but my replacement valves were
a different length requiring the olive on the pipe to be removed in
order to cut off around 15mm of pipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2018 11:03, GB wrote:
This looks a bit tight without removing the heating pump. What do the
team think?Â* It's an 11 inch 3kw immersion heater.

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16s/2

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16x/2

I would expect that once the immersion boss is unscrewed, you will be
able to draw the rest out at an angle.

I once had a heater element that had completely corroded through and the
bit lower in the tank had sprung away from its original position and was
forming equivalent to a barb on a hook. Luckily with some difficult
maneuvering with a long flat blade screwdriver through the immersion
fitting hole I managed to capture the stray end and withdraw the old unit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 July 2018 11:03:14 UTC+1, GB wrote:
This looks a bit tight without removing the heating pump. What do the
team think? It's an 11 inch 3kw immersion heater.

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16s/2

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16x/2

There's no problem removing that with the correct spanner.
The thread is only about 3/4" long, once unscrewed,it will come out no problem.
You will need to saw out the gasket.
Hacksaw blade wrapped in a bit of tape for a handle is the thing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 18/07/2018 11:03, GB wrote:
This looks a bit tight without removing the heating pump. What do the
team think? It's an 11 inch 3kw immersion heater.

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16s/2

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16x/2

I would expect that once the immersion boss is unscrewed, you will be
able to draw the rest out at an angle.

Is the correct answer.

Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
-----------------------------------------------------------------|
John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 July 2018 11:03:14 UTC+1, GB wrote:
This looks a bit tight without removing the heating pump. What do the
team think? It's an 11 inch 3kw immersion heater.

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16s/2

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16x/2

no problem, unlikely you'd need to mess with the pump.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2018 15:47, harry wrote:

There's no problem removing that with the correct spanner.

Famous last words

And fitting is the reverse process

https://www.buckandhickman.com/Asset...4/124814_p.jpg

On a very tight installation I've managed to bend/distort or round off
two of the spanner examples shown in the above photo - the two that have
been made from pressed steel [1].

Where the lesser spanners have failed the cast one with the handle has
worked.

[1]
Different brands may use better quality metal that stands the abuse. I
will admit that my examples were possibly the cheapest I could find in
the sheds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/18 11:03, GB wrote:
This looks a bit tight without removing the heating pump. What do the
team think? It's an 11 inch 3kw immersion heater.

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16s/2

http://tinypic.com/m/k4h16x/2

It's the new replacement which might be the issue as to whether it goes
in or not with the pump in place. After all, once you've loosened the
old immersion why not pull it out a couple of inches and hacksaw off
the element or use bolt croppers if they fit? Then it won't matter if
the pump remains in place.

--

Jeff