Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default EPDM pond liner as roof covering

Local garden centre sell EPDM pond liner in a variety of widths
and they just cut off as much as you need from a big roll. It seems
to be 1.2 mm thick, same as the roofing stuff.

Is this the same stuff that is sold for roofing purposes ?, because
it is easier to fetch it from there, but they don't sell adhesives.

If so, what sort of adhesives are used ?.

Looking online it seems that there is a one-part adhesive used
to stick down the central part of the covering, possibly water-based,
leaving a band about a foot wide round the edge which is then stuck
down with contact adhesive.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2018 14:32, Andrew wrote:
Local garden centre sell EPDM pond liner in a variety of widths
and they just cut off as much as you need from a big roll. It seems
to be 1.2 mm thick, same as the roofing stuff.

Is this the same stuff that is sold for roofing purposes ?, because
it is easier to fetch it from there, but they don't sell adhesives.

I don't think it is quite as UV stable as the roofing grade.

If so, what sort of adhesives are used ?.

I used old evil solvent Bostik contact adhesive to stick an offcut on
the top of my coal bunker when the old roofing felt started leaking. It
tolerates the flexure of the lid much better than the stiff rigid felt
ever did and is still going strong after more than a decade.

Looking online it seems that there is a one-part adhesive used
to stick down the central part of the covering, possibly water-based,
leaving a band about a foot wide round the edge which is then stuck
down with contact adhesive.

I suspect it may not last as well as the right stuff. Top of a roof is a
tough hot UV exposed location whereas the bulk of a pond liner can
reasonably be expected to be under water and so relatively cool as a
result. Pond liner tends to fail eventually in the zone between the high
water line and the bank edge on the south facing side.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A coat of UV reflective paint perhaps?
I know it exists, but have no idea where you might get it, we had cans of
the stuff when I worked in the defence industry.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
Local garden centre sell EPDM pond liner in a variety of widths
and they just cut off as much as you need from a big roll. It seems
to be 1.2 mm thick, same as the roofing stuff.

Is this the same stuff that is sold for roofing purposes ?, because
it is easier to fetch it from there, but they don't sell adhesives.

If so, what sort of adhesives are used ?.

Looking online it seems that there is a one-part adhesive used
to stick down the central part of the covering, possibly water-based,
leaving a band about a foot wide round the edge which is then stuck
down with contact adhesive.

Andrew

Like others I wonder about the UV resistance. You can buy it more or
less cut to size on ebay. I bought a small piece recently worked out
about £9 per sqm delivered.
I used http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/rubberroofingdirect but no doubt
there are others.
Water based latex contact adhesive for the main part and full lead
solvent based contact adhesive for the edges and any flashing pieces.

Beware foam rollers for the solvent based adhesive spreading as mine
dissolved within a few minutes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2018 15:42, Bob Minchin wrote:
Water based latex contact adhesive for the main part and full lead
solvent based contact adhesive for the edges and any flashing pieces.

Made and supplied by whom ?. Can you post brand names for each
type ?.

There is a firestone-branded contact adhesive but I don't know
if it is special epdm adhesive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 14:32:46 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Local garden centre sell EPDM pond liner in a variety of widths
and they just cut off as much as you need from a big roll. It seems
to be 1.2 mm thick, same as the roofing stuff.

Is this the same stuff that is sold for roofing purposes ?, because
it is easier to fetch it from there, but they don't sell adhesives.

If so, what sort of adhesives are used ?.

Looking online it seems that there is a one-part adhesive used
to stick down the central part of the covering, possibly water-based,
leaving a band about a foot wide round the edge which is then stuck
down with contact adhesive.

Andrew

I don't know if this site has any pertinent information - it was bookmarked
in case it came in handy one day:
https://www.permaroofstore.co.uk/
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 17/07/2018 15:42, Bob Minchin wrote:
Water based latex contact adhesive for the main part and full lead
solvent based contact adhesive for the edges and any flashing pieces.

Made and supplied by whom ?. Can you post brand names for each
type ?.

There is a firestone-branded contact adhesive but I don't know
if it is special epdm adhesive.

My containers are as follows

Waterbased latex Firestone RubberCover

Solvent based adhesive "ClassicBond" www.classicbond.co.uk

ClassicBond also do a water based adhesive and the rubber itself.

The ebay shop I linked to do all that you will need.