Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default shower mixer

what would the effects be if a shower mixer had the hot and cold were
connected up the wrong way around ? ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 14/07/2018 16:00, Trailer trash ... wrote:
what would the effects be if a shower mixer had the hot and cold were
connected up the wrong way around ? ...

If it's non-thermostatic, no problem, except potentially scalding for
the user.

A thermostatic valve won't work. I stand to be corrected on that, as
some may have an adjustment that can be made, but all the ones I have
seen specify hot on the left. If it's a bar valve, externally mounted,
you may be able to bodge it by installing it upside down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
news
On 14/07/2018 16:00, Trailer trash ... wrote:
what would the effects be if a shower mixer had the hot and cold were
connected up the wrong way around ? ...

If it's non-thermostatic, no problem, except potentially scalding for the
user.

A thermostatic valve won't work. I stand to be corrected on that, as some
may have an adjustment that can be made, but all the ones I have seen
specify hot on the left. If it's a bar valve, externally mounted, you may
be able to bodge it by installing it upside down.

thanks I bought this static caravan and it had just been connected up after
being drained for the winter........we only get very hot water when it is
turned right down if we turn it up all we get is cold....just as well there
is a bath as well .......have to try swopping the hot and cold ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

A thermostatic valve won't work. I stand to be corrected on that, as
some may have an adjustment that can be made, but all the ones I have
seen specify hot on the left.

Indeed some Mira thermostatic valves can have the internals re-jigged to
reverse the H/C vs L/R inlet arrangement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
GB wrote:

A thermostatic valve won't work. I stand to be corrected on that, as
some may have an adjustment that can be made, but all the ones I have
seen specify hot on the left.

Indeed some Mira thermostatic valves can have the internals re-jigged to
reverse the H/C vs L/R inlet arrangement.

Indeed, most by rotating the thermostatic cartridge 180 degrees.
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2018 16:00, Trailer trash ... wrote:

what would the effects be if a shower mixer had the hot and cold were
connected up the wrong way around ? ...

On a non thermostatic mixer, it will work, but the temperature control
will be reversed. A thermostatic one won't work, however some allow the
cartridge to be reversed to fix the problem.

Some however can't be reversed.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Trailer trash ..." Wrote in message:

"GB" wrote in message
news
On 14/07/2018 16:00, Trailer trash ... wrote:
what would the effects be if a shower mixer had the hot and cold were
connected up the wrong way around ? ...

If it's non-thermostatic, no problem, except potentially scalding for the
user.

A thermostatic valve won't work. I stand to be corrected on that, as some
may have an adjustment that can be made, but all the ones I have seen
specify hot on the left. If it's a bar valve, externally mounted, you may
be able to bodge it by installing it upside down.

thanks I bought this static caravan and it had just been connected up after
being drained for the winter........we only get very hot water when it is
turned right down if we turn it up all we get is cold....just as well there
is a bath as well .......have to try swopping the hot and cold ......

Could be a boiler problem. I'm guessing you have some sort of
combi or "instant" gas water heater. More likely than someone
swapping pipes on your mixer valve.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 14/07/2018 17:48, Trailer trash ... wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
news
On 14/07/2018 16:00, Trailer trash ... wrote:
what would the effects be if a shower mixer had the hot and cold were
connected up the wrong way around ? ...

If it's non-thermostatic, no problem, except potentially scalding for the
user.

A thermostatic valve won't work. I stand to be corrected on that, as some
may have an adjustment that can be made, but all the ones I have seen
specify hot on the left. If it's a bar valve, externally mounted, you may
be able to bodge it by installing it upside down.

thanks I bought this static caravan and it had just been connected up after
being drained for the winter........we only get very hot water when it is
turned right down if we turn it up all we get is cold....just as well there
is a bath as well .......have to try swopping the hot and cold ......

Any idea which valve it is?

Can you touch the inlet pipes? If so, which one gets hot?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 17:48:24 +0100, "Trailer trash ..."
wrote:

thanks I bought this static caravan and it had just been connected up after
being drained for the winter........we only get very hot water when it is
turned right down if we turn it up all we get is cold....just as well there
is a bath as well .......have to try swopping the hot and cold ......

Is it an electrically heated shower?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd have thought that was hardly a question that needed answering and indeed
might be seen as a troll post.

Brian

--
----- --