Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY madness, or are exposed RSJ's the fashion ?

Here is a house for sale with an interesting 'feature'

https://www.cubittandwest.co.uk/for-...ough/21404963/

You'd think that the local authority would be interested but the
female who answered the phone only wanted to know what the
address of the property was. I told her the estate agents listing
only shows the road name, and she could see the offending work
by simply looking at Cubitt & Wests website, but no, without an
exact address she wasn't going to pay any interest.

Her "is it dangerous ?"

Me "It's an exposed RSJ right near the chip pan fire"

Her "Oh well if we had the address I could check to see if the
work has been signed off"

Me "I doubt if you have any record of this work at all"

Typical useless council employees.

Odd that the owner didn't paint it with coloured Hammerite or
metallic paint or summat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

https://www.cubittandwest.co.uk/for-...ough/21404963/

503

Me "It's an exposed RSJ right near the chip pan fire"

Double layer of PB or one layer of pink (fire-rated) PB?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 17:02:44 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Me "It's an exposed RSJ right near the chip pan fire"

I doubt if a chip pan fire would hurt it, but if you flew a plane into
it...

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2018 17:02, Andrew wrote:

Here is a house for sale with an interesting 'feature'

https://www.cubittandwest.co.uk/for-...ough/21404963/

You'd think that the local authority would be interested but the
female who answered the phone only wanted to know what the
address of the property was. I told her the estate agents listing

Why were you contacting the local authority in the first place? If you
want to buy the place, then that is the kind of stuff to resolve during
conveyancing.

only shows the road name, and she could see the offending work
by simply looking at Cubitt & Wests website, but no, without an
exact address she wasn't going to pay any interest.

Her "is it dangerous ?"

Me "It's an exposed RSJ right near the chip pan fire"

You seem to be are assuming it is actually structural and not just a
decorative feature. If it is structural, you are assuming its not
protected by an intumescent coating or perhaps backed up by an
additional RSJ above the ceiling which you can't see.

Her "Oh well if we had the address I could check to see if the
work has been signed off"

Me "I doubt if you have any record of this work at all"

Typical useless council employees.

Probably been trained how to spot "difficult" customer's and send them
on their way in a non aggressive way ;-)

Odd that the owner didn't paint it with coloured Hammerite or
metallic paint or summat.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Andrew wrote:

https://www.cubittandwest.co.uk/for-...in-pulborough/
21404963/

503

Me "It's an exposed RSJ right near the chip pan fire"

Double layer of PB or one layer of pink (fire-rated) PB?

You could clad it in timber but I don't know what thickness gives 30
mins. fire resistance.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/18 17:09, Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew wrote:

https://www.cubittandwest.co.uk/for-...ough/21404963/

503

Me "It's an exposed RSJ right near the chip pan fire"

Double layer of PB or one layer of pink (fire-rated) PB?

If the damn house is on fire, who's going to stay in it long enough for
the RSJ to collapse? This is not 9/11 - 1000 gallons of aviation fuel
are not going to hit that. Relative to the time PB takes to burn through.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

If the damn house is on fire, who's going to stay in it long enough for
the RSJ to collapse?

But it might make the difference between a few weeks to re-fit and
redecorate a couple of rooms vs a few months to rebuild half the house?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/18 19:22, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

If the damn house is on fire, who's going to stay in it long enough
for the RSJ to collapse?

But it might make the difference between a few weeks to re-fit and
redecorate a couple of rooms vs a few months to rebuild half the house?

If you warp an RSJ, it's not going to be a few weeks...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

If you warp an RSJ

If protected by 1/2" of plasterboard, I'd hope the fire service arrived
in time to prevent that happening ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 13/07/2018 19:19, Tim Watts wrote:

If the damn house is on fire, who's going to stay in it long enough for
the RSJ to collapse?

I can answer that: the firemen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

[...]

Well it's number 9.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/07/2018 19:56, ARW wrote:
[...]

No PP that I can see

https://public-access.horsham.gov.uk... 01LJ3IJLI000

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Well it's number 9.

No PP that I can see

https://public-access.horsham.gov.uk... 01LJ3IJLI000

PP wouldn't be necessary, but no BR approval that I can see

https://data.horsham.gov.uk/View/building-control/building-control-register
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Surely, when a prospective buyer shows interest, then somebody will ask the
right questions and know the address. I'm sure many councils have quite
enough on their plate without looking for trouble.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andrew" wrote in message
news
Here is a house for sale with an interesting 'feature'

https://www.cubittandwest.co.uk/for-...ough/21404963/

You'd think that the local authority would be interested but the
female who answered the phone only wanted to know what the
address of the property was. I told her the estate agents listing
only shows the road name, and she could see the offending work
by simply looking at Cubitt & Wests website, but no, without an
exact address she wasn't going to pay any interest.

Her "is it dangerous ?"

Me "It's an exposed RSJ right near the chip pan fire"

Her "Oh well if we had the address I could check to see if the
work has been signed off"

Me "I doubt if you have any record of this work at all"

Typical useless council employees.

Odd that the owner didn't paint it with coloured Hammerite or
metallic paint or summat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote

Here is a house for sale with an interesting 'feature'

https://www.cubittandwest.co.uk/for-...ough/21404963/

You'd think that the local authority would be interested but the
female who answered the phone only wanted to know what the
address of the property was. I told her the estate agents listing
only shows the road name, and she could see the offending work
by simply looking at Cubitt & Wests website, but no, without an
exact address she wasn't going to pay any interest.

Her "is it dangerous ?"

Me "It's an exposed RSJ right near the chip pan fire"

No its not right near the chip pan fire.

Her "Oh well if we had the address I could check to see if the work has
been signed off"

Me "I doubt if you have any record of this work at all"

Typical useless council employees.

Hardly surprising that they arent interested
in getting someone to go and have a look
in person with you ringing up about it.

Odd that the owner didn't paint it with coloured Hammerite or metallic
paint or summat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

If the damn house is on fire, who's going to stay in it long enough for
the RSJ to collapse?

But it might make the difference between a few weeks to re-fit and
redecorate a couple of rooms vs a few months to rebuild half the house?

If you warp an RSJ, it's not going to be a few weeks...

Takes less than a day to replace a warped one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Here is a house for sale with an interesting 'feature'

https://www.cubittandwest.co.uk/for-...ough/21404963/

You'd think that the local authority would be interested but the
female who answered the phone only wanted to know what the
address of the property was. I told her the estate agents listing
only shows the road name, and she could see the offending work
by simply looking at Cubitt & Wests website, but no, without an
exact address she wasn't going to pay any interest.

Her "is it dangerous ?"

Me "It's an exposed RSJ right near the chip pan fire"

Her "Oh well if we had the address I could check to see if the
work has been signed off"

Me "I doubt if you have any record of this work at all"

Typical useless council employees.

Odd that the owner didn't paint it with coloured Hammerite or
metallic paint or summat.

What about the erotic driftwood sculptures in the bedroom?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2018 17:02, Andrew wrote:
Here is a house for sale with an interesting 'feature'

On a house that size I suspect feature.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. Wrote in message:
[...]

More familiar "diy" for some on here? ;-)
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 13 July 2018 17:02:51 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
Here is a house for sale with an interesting 'feature'

https://www.cubittandwest.co.uk/for-...ough/21404963/

You'd think that the local authority would be interested but the
female who answered the phone only wanted to know what the
address of the property was. I told her the estate agents listing
only shows the road name, and she could see the offending work
by simply looking at Cubitt & Wests website, but no, without an
exact address she wasn't going to pay any interest.

Her "is it dangerous ?"

Me "It's an exposed RSJ right near the chip pan fire"

Her "Oh well if we had the address I could check to see if the
work has been signed off"

Me "I doubt if you have any record of this work at all"

Typical useless council employees.

Odd that the owner didn't paint it with coloured Hammerite or
metallic paint or summat.

Imagine you have her job.
"Hello someone's broken a rule but I don't know where" is wasting her time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2018 20:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
Surely, when a prospective buyer shows interest, then somebody will ask the
right questions and know the address. I'm sure many councils have quite
enough on their plate without looking for trouble.

Only if the buyer gets a full survey by someone with a clue and not one
of those buyer surveys which is no better than a drive by to ensure that
the property is worth the purchase price. On the legal side, searches
will find no evidence of planning or approval and this will be OK
because no-one has asked them anything about searching for RSJ related
matters.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/18 19:32, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

If you warp an RSJ

If protected by 1/2" of plasterboard, I'd hope the fire service arrived
in time to prevent that happening ...

Would a kitchen fire dealt with in 30 mins would do much to an RSJ???

Serious question - whenever I've worked with lumps of metal and fire,
it's taken quite some time with a gas forge to get a bit of inch+half
bar red hot. And a kitchen fire in the start is not a gas forge.

All I'm saying - is whilst not to regs, is there really much to worry
about as this is not a high rise all steel structure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

If you warp an RSJ

If protected by 1/2" of plasterboard, I'd hope the fire service arrived
in time to prevent that happening ...

Would a kitchen fire dealt with in 30 mins would do much to an RSJ???

Nothing in fact.

Serious question - whenever I've worked with lumps of metal and fire, it's
taken quite some time with a gas forge to get a bit of inch+half bar red
hot. And a kitchen fire in the start is not a gas forge.

All I'm saying - is whilst not to regs, is there really much to worry
about as this is not a high rise all steel structure.

No there isnt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
news
Here is a house for sale with an interesting 'feature'

https://www.cubittandwest.co.uk/for-...ough/21404963/

In the admittedly unlikely even of a house fire where the floor had indeed
collapsed, that maybe isn't the kind of picture you'd want your insurer
to come across, however many years later.

But there again estate agents are having a really hard time of it now,
so what exactly do people expect for their £3,000 ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

What about the erotic driftwood sculptures in the bedroom?

And does /every/ house on rightmove need to have a sign on the walls
commanding people to "have fun, smile and be nice to each other"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

If you warp an RSJ

If protected by 1/2" of plasterboard, I'd hope the fire service
arrived in time to prevent that happening ...

Would a kitchen fire dealt with in 30 mins would do much to an RSJ???

Serious question - whenever I've worked with lumps of metal and fire,
it's taken quite some time with a gas forge to get a bit of inch+half
bar red hot. And a kitchen fire in the start is not a gas forge.

All I'm saying - is whilst not to regs, is there really much to worry
about as this is not a high rise all steel structure.

It took just over an hour to bring down one of the trade centre towers.
Its not clear how much of the fire protection was stripped from the
steel but it was probably a lot as it was flimsy stuff.

The fire was probably more intense than most kitchen fires but the
steels were thicker too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2018 11:16, Andy Burns wrote:
Graham. wrote:

What about the erotic driftwood sculptures in the bedroom?

And does /every/ house on rightmove need to have a sign on the walls
commanding people to "have fun, smile and be nice to each other"?

That's like asking whether every post by a brexiteer has to have insults
in it rather than them posting a good news story about brexit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

https://www.cubittandwest.co.uk/for-...ough/21404963/

503

Me "It's an exposed RSJ right near the chip pan fire"

Double layer of PB or one layer of pink (fire-rated) PB?

If the damn house is on fire, who's going to stay in it long enough for
the RSJ to collapse? This is not 9/11 - 1000 gallons of aviation fuel
are not going to hit that. Relative to the time PB takes to burn through.

Exactly my thought. I imagine it would happily withstand 30 minutes of
chip-pan fire. Different story of course for multi-story industrial or
office premises.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 14 July 2018 12:32:41 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 14/07/2018 09:45, Tim Watts wrote:
On 13/07/18 19:32, Andy Burns wrote:

out as this is not a high rise all steel structure.

It took just over an hour to bring down one of the trade centre towers.
Its not clear how much of the fire protection was stripped from the
steel but it was probably a lot as it was flimsy stuff.

Was it the fire that brought the towers down or the impact of the planes. On 9/11 I was listening to a structural engineer on Radio 4, who said he reckoned they had less than an hour before they collapsed. My memory is that it was due to the impact.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 14/07/2018 15:38, Jonathan wrote:
On Saturday, 14 July 2018 12:32:41 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 14/07/2018 09:45, Tim Watts wrote:
On 13/07/18 19:32, Andy Burns wrote:

out as this is not a high rise all steel structure.

It took just over an hour to bring down one of the trade centre towers.
Its not clear how much of the fire protection was stripped from the
steel but it was probably a lot as it was flimsy stuff.

Was it the fire that brought the towers down or the impact of the planes. On 9/11 I was listening to a structural engineer on Radio 4, who said he reckoned they had less than an hour before they collapsed. My memory is that it was due to the impact.

If it were due to the impact, surely they'd have collapsed immediately?

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/18 17:02, Andrew wrote:
Here is a house for sale with an interesting 'feature'

https://www.cubittandwest.co.uk/for-...ough/21404963/

You'd think that the local authority would be interested but the
female who answered the phone only wanted to know what the
address of the property was. I told her the estate agents listing
only shows the road name, and she could see the offending work
by simply looking at Cubitt & Wests website, but no, without an
exact address she wasn't going to pay any interest.

Her "is it dangerous ?"

Me "It's an exposed RSJ right near the chip pan fire"

Her "Oh well if we had the address I could check to see if the
work has been signed off"

Me "I doubt if you have any record of this work at all"

Typical useless council employees.

Odd that the owner didn't paint it with coloured Hammerite or
metallic paint or summat.

Apart from fire rating etc, the RSJ looks an abortion of a job on the
top of the pillar wall where the clock is.
Why it couldn't be made to look better is beyond me
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

If you warp an RSJ
If protected by 1/2" of plasterboard, I'd hope the fire service arrived
in time to prevent that happening ...

Would a kitchen fire dealt with in 30 mins would do much to an RSJ???

Serious question - whenever I've worked with lumps of metal and fire,
it's taken quite some time with a gas forge to get a bit of inch+half bar
red hot. And a kitchen fire in the start is not a gas forge.

All I'm saying - is whilst not to regs, is there really much to worry
about as this is not a high rise all steel structure.

It took just over an hour to bring down one of the trade centre towers.
Its not clear how much of the fire protection was stripped from the steel
but it was probably a lot as it was flimsy stuff.

The fire was probably more intense than most kitchen fires

No probably about it, of course it was with
a ****ing great plane full of fuel fuelling it.

but the steels were thicker too.

Wrong, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2018 15:38, Jonathan wrote:
On Saturday, 14 July 2018 12:32:41 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 14/07/2018 09:45, Tim Watts wrote:
On 13/07/18 19:32, Andy Burns wrote:

out as this is not a high rise all steel structure.

It took just over an hour to bring down one of the trade centre
towers. Its not clear how much of the fire protection was stripped
from the steel but it was probably a lot as it was flimsy stuff.

Was it the fire that brought the towers down or the impact of the
planes. On 9/11 I was listening to a structural engineer on Radio 4,
who said he reckoned they had less than an hour before they
collapsed. My memory is that it was due to the impact.

Jonathan

He was wrong.
I said they would come down even though several structural engineers
said they were designed to withstand such an event.
It was fairly obvious to me that they were not designed for such an event.

They collapsed because the steel holding the floors softened and the
floors fell onto the one below causing a cascade failure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 14 July 2018 12:32:41 UTC+1, dennis@homeÂ* wrote:
On 14/07/2018 09:45, Tim Watts wrote:
On 13/07/18 19:32, Andy Burns wrote:

out as this is not a high rise all steel structure.

It took just over an hour to bring down one of the trade centre
towers. Its not clear how much of the fire protection was stripped
from the steel but it was probably a lot as it was flimsy stuff.

Was it the fire that brought the towers down or the impact of the
planes. On 9/11 I was listening to a structural engineer on Radio 4,
who said he reckoned they had less than an hour before they
collapsed. My memory is that it was due to the impact.

Jonathan

Â*He was wrong.
I said they would come down even though several structural engineers
said they were designed to withstand such an event.
It was fairly obvious to me that they were not designed for such an event.

They collapsed because the steel holding the floors softened and the
floors fell onto the one below causing a cascade failure.

I don't think having thousands of gallons of jet fuel poured into the
central structure of the buildings helped much either.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

From what I've seen on TV and read elsewhere, they were designed to
withstand impact by an aircraft, but it was only considered likely that
smaller, private aircraft would be off-course enough to hit them. It was
never considered that a large passenger jet, carrying so much fuel would
hit them or that the impact of a large and fast jet would shatter much
of the fire-resistant coating off the steelwork.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote
dennis@home wrote
Tim Watts wrote
Andy Burns wrote

out as this is not a high rise all steel structure.

It took just over an hour to bring down one of the trade centre
towers. Its not clear how much of the fire protection was stripped
from the steel but it was probably a lot as it was flimsy stuff.

Was it the fire that brought the towers down or the impact of the planes.

The fire that caused the metal beams to bend far enough so they
pulled out of the ends so the entire floor collapsed onto the one
below and then on down thru the entire building like a pack of cards.

If it had been the impact of the plane, it wouldnt have taken
an hour between the plane hitting the tower and it imploding.

On 9/11 I was listening to a structural engineer on Radio 4,
who said he reckoned they had less than an hour before
they collapsed. My memory is that it was due to the impact.

Nope, it would have imploded immediately if that has been the case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

If the damn house is on fire, who's going to stay in it long enough
for the RSJ to collapse?

But it might make the difference between a few weeks to re-fit and
redecorate a couple of rooms vs a few months to rebuild half the house?

If you warp an RSJ, it's not going to be a few weeks...

And would the insurance co pay up ?. Somehow I doubt it.
Could be an expensive mistake.

RSJ exposed - slightly rusty sm_jamieson UK diy 0 September 3rd 07 10:07 AM
Exposed RSJ? [email protected] UK diy 4 May 22nd 07 09:25 AM
Loft Conversion: RSJ, Joist Hangers, attaching rsj to Gable IanMcD UK diy 3 July 12th 05 09:16 AM