Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boots v Screwfix

How is it I can get about 20 assorted items from Screwfix in a few minutes
- yet a prescription in Boots at our Hospital - which involves reaching a
couple of items off a shelf takes at least 40 mins?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2018 16:02, DerbyBorn wrote:
How is it I can get about 20 assorted items from Screwfix in a few minutes
- yet a prescription in Boots at our Hospital - which involves reaching a
couple of items off a shelf takes at least 40 mins?

How many times have they given you the wrong item at screwfix?
Did it do you any harm when you got the wrong item?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That is because screws are not normally to be taken internally and they have
to be sure you are not going to die before you leave?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
How is it I can get about 20 assorted items from Screwfix in a few minutes
- yet a prescription in Boots at our Hospital - which involves reaching a
couple of items off a shelf takes at least 40 mins?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

How is it I can get about 20 assorted items from Screwfix in a few minutes
- yet a prescription in Boots at our Hospital - which involves reaching a
couple of items off a shelf takes at least 40 mins?

One is picked by someone fractionally above minimum wage, where if
something is wrong they will shrug and sort it out later.

The other picked and inspected by someone with a masters degree who is
legally responsible for ensuring the correct prescription is dispensed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 09/07/2018 16:23, Andy Burns wrote:
How is it I can get about 20 assorted items from Screwfix in a few minutes
- yet a prescription in Boots at our Hospital - which involves reaching a
couple of items off a shelf takes at least 40 mins?

One (screwfix) is getting money from the purchase, so good service.
The other (NHS) its costing them money so poor service.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2018 16:02, DerbyBorn wrote:
How is it I can get about 20 assorted items from Screwfix in a few minutes
- yet a prescription in Boots at our Hospital - which involves reaching a
couple of items off a shelf takes at least 40 mins?

My experience has been roughly the reverse. The last time I went to
Screwfix because they had the obscure diameter core drill I needed in
stock at a good price I recalled why I never buy stuff from them.

Like sending the apprentice to stores for "a long weight".

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2018 17:35, Martin Brown wrote:
On 09/07/2018 16:02, DerbyBorn wrote:
How is it I can get about 20 assorted items from Screwfix in a few
minutes
- yet a prescription in Boots at our Hospital - which involves reaching a
couple of items off a shelf takes at least 40 mins?

My experience has been roughly the reverse. The last time I went to
Screwfix because they had the obscure diameter core drill I needed in
stock at a good price I recalled why I never buy stuff from them.

Like sending the apprentice to stores for "a long weight".

I've found Screwfix to be slow if you order at the counter. Often a
large number of people operating at the tills and one person in the
warehouse trying to sort the orders for the dozen people who have just
been served. Your money is taken quickly so you don't walk out because
of the queues but then you are stuck waiting for the goods to be picked.
There seems to be a demarcation of roles. If on the tills you don't pick
from the warehouse during busy times.

I prefer the Toolsatan approach when ordering at the counter where the
person who takes your order also picks the item and you pay after seeing it.

If I purchase from Screwfix these days I tend to order and pay on line
and then wait for the text message to say my order has been picked
before the 5 minute car journey to collect the items.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote in
:

[...]

There must be a way of using barcoding and and semi automating some of the
process for 80% of the stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2018 16:16, Brian Gaff wrote:
That is because screws are not normally to be taken internally and they have
to be sure you are not going to die before you leave?
Brian

everythings is barcoded these days. Screws, pills are just another
cardboard box that the computer identifies.

The days when pharmacists actually made up preparations using
their knowledge of chemistry and pharma are longgggg gone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2018 19:37, alan_m wrote:
[...]

+1, the "order to collect" system seems to work very well. (But I am now
driving near a new branch several days a week)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Jul 2018 20:45:25 +0100, newshound wrote:

If I purchase from Screwfix these days I tend to order and pay on line
and then wait for the text message to say my order has been picked
before the 5 minute car journey to collect the items.

+1, the "order to collect" system seems to work very well. (But I am now
driving near a new branch several days a week)

+1 here too. Screwfix is 2 miles away, and I often go in that direction
anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 20:42:11 +0100, Andrew wrote:

The days when pharmacists actually made up preparations using
their knowledge of chemistry and pharma are longgggg gone.

They seem to have an important role in second guessing the doc's
prescriptions these days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 16:23:53 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

How is it I can get about 20 assorted items from Screwfix in a few

minutes - yet a prescription in Boots at our Hospital - which

involves
reaching a couple of items off a shelf takes at least 40 mins?

One is picked by someone fractionally above minimum wage, where if
something is wrong they will shrug and sort it out later.

The other picked and inspected by someone with a masters degree who is
legally responsible for ensuring the correct prescription is dispensed.

And the second is also double checked by another qualified
pharmacist.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 11:18:41 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 16:23:53 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

How is it I can get about 20 assorted items from Screwfix in a few

minutes - yet a prescription in Boots at our Hospital - which

involves
reaching a couple of items off a shelf takes at least 40 mins?

One is picked by someone fractionally above minimum wage, where if
something is wrong they will shrug and sort it out later.

The other picked and inspected by someone with a masters degree who is
legally responsible for ensuring the correct prescription is dispensed.

And the second is also double checked by another qualified
pharmacist.

There cannot be many pharmacies with two pharmacists.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So why can't a foolproof system be put in where cassettes of pill boxes -
tamperproof and direct from manufacturer - can be loaded into a machine and
issued in response to a machine readable prescription?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AFIn article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:

So why can't a foolproof system be put in where cassettes of pill boxes -
tamperproof and direct from manufacturer - can be loaded into a machine
and issued in response to a machine readable prescription?

one reason is that manufacturers boxed quantities don't fit with what your
doctor prescribes.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 10/07/2018 20:05, charles wrote:
AFIn article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:

So why can't a foolproof system be put in where cassettes of pill boxes -
tamperproof and direct from manufacturer - can be loaded into a machine
and issued in response to a machine readable prescription?

one reason is that manufacturers boxed quantities don't fit with what your
doctor prescribes.

I watch the pharmacists at work, and they check that the quantities in
each box are correct, because they sometimes take part-boxes to satisfy
a prescription.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 20:05:21 +0100, charles wrote:

AFIn article 6,

-
tamperproof and direct from manufacturer - can be loaded into a machine
and issued in response to a machine readable prescription?

one reason is that manufacturers boxed quantities don't fit with what
your doctor prescribes.

And another is that there have to be cross checks - not just for
prescription only medicatioon, but for anything else the patient may be
taking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote

So why can't a foolproof system be put in where cassettes of pill boxes -
tamperproof and direct from manufacturer - can be loaded into a
machine and issued in response to a machine readable prescription?

It can, but it makes more sense to do it the way its done now
given that some of the medication isnt usually dispensed there
and is supplied as required when someone shows up with a
prescription for that less commonly prescribed medication.

The other problem is that there are a variety of forms
of meds too. Lipitor comes in ****ing great pills in a
much bigger box than the metoprolol for example.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2018 20:23, GB wrote:
On 10/07/2018 20:05, charles wrote:
AFIn article 6,
Â*Â*Â* DerbyBorn wrote:

Â*

So why can't a foolproof system be put in where cassettes of pill
boxes -
tamperproof and direct from manufacturer - can be loaded into a machine
and issued in response to a machine readable prescription?

one reason is that manufacturers boxed quantities don't fit with what
your
doctor prescribes.

I watch the pharmacists at work, and they check that the quantities in
each box are correct, because they sometimes take part-boxes to satisfy
a prescription.

I was in a pharmacy today and they wouldn't dispense a drug as it was
twice the normal dose for a child.
They were going to phone the doctor to check first.

When did screwfix ever ring a builder if the nails were twice as long as
needed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

So why can't a foolproof system be put in where cassettes of pill
boxes -
tamperproof and direct from manufacturer - can be loaded into a machine
and issued in response to a machine readable prescription?

one reason is that manufacturers boxed quantities don't fit with what
your
doctor prescribes.

I watch the pharmacists at work, and they check that the quantities in
each box are correct, because they sometimes take part-boxes to satisfy a
prescription.

I was in a pharmacy today and they wouldn't dispense a drug as it was
twice the normal dose for a child.
They were going to phone the doctor to check first.

When did screwfix ever ring a builder if the nails were twice as long as
needed?

But the pharmacist clearly doesnt need to ring the doctor most of the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 06:58:25 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

It can, but it makes more sense to do it the way its done now
given that some of the medication isnt usually dispensed there
and is supplied as required when someone shows up with a
prescription for that less commonly prescribed medication.

The other problem is that there are a variety of forms
of meds too. Lipitor comes in ****ing great pills in a
much bigger box than the metoprolol for example.

Mr Know-it-all struck again! Is there ANYTHING that you do NOT "know", oh
senile one? LOL

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 14:28:04 +0100, Scott wrote:

The other picked and inspected by someone with a masters degree

who is
legally responsible for ensuring the correct prescription is
dispensed.

And the second is also double checked by another qualified
pharmacist.

There cannot be many pharmacies with two pharmacists.

Good point, there is only one phramacist in the chemist down in town,
or the phramacy in the cottage hospital. However I'm pretty sure any
prescription is double checked if only for drug, drug formulation,
dose, quantity etc by A.N.Other before it's released.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2018 09:06, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 14:28:04 +0100, Scott wrote:

The other picked and inspected by someone with a masters degree

who is
legally responsible for ensuring the correct prescription is
dispensed.

And the second is also double checked by another qualified
pharmacist.

There cannot be many pharmacies with two pharmacists.

Good point, there is only one phramacist in the chemist down in town,
or the phramacy in the cottage hospital. However I'm pretty sure any
prescription is double checked if only for drug, drug formulation,
dose, quantity etc by A.N.Other before it's released.

The check doesn't require 2 pharmacists. And in some it is done by the
same person who dispensed.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 July 2018 19:54:12 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

So why can't a foolproof system

There's the problem qwhat is this foolproof system ?
A box like a stations crips and chocloate dispenser being filled with all sorts of drugs somevery dangerous to others some very profitable for others.
And these despensing machines will never be broken into ?

be put in where cassettes of pill boxes -
tamperproof and direct from manufacturer - can be loaded into a machine and
issued in response to a machine readable prescription?

Why not supply knives in the same way ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Me Me is offline

On 7/9/2018 4:02 PM, DerbyBorn wrote:
How is it I can get about 20 assorted items from Screwfix in a few minutes
- yet a prescription in Boots at our Hospital - which involves reaching a
couple of items off a shelf takes at least 40 mins?

+1 Me too, same problem with Boots in BRI. Wife had to take her script
from the dental hospital to the BRI. Different building, different road.
Not allowed to take it to any branch of Boots or any other chemist.
The people "running" the NHS haven't a clue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote in
:

On Tuesday, 10 July 2018 19:54:12 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

So why can't a foolproof system

There's the problem qwhat is this foolproof system ?
A box like a stations crips and chocloate dispenser being filled with
all sorts of drugs somevery dangerous to others some very profitable
for others. And these despensing machines will never be broken into ?

be put in where cassettes of pill boxes -
tamperproof and direct from manufacturer - can be loaded into a
machine and issued in response to a machine readable prescription?

Why not supply knives in the same way ?

I was meaning the dispensing machine would be in the Pharmacy - but the
supply would not be tampered with and a Quality Assurance system would
ensure the right items were issued. POKA YOKE -- Make it foolproof -
uniques sized boxes for example. I am talking of the 80% common things.
Then the parmacists could devote time to the irregular stuff as the routine
stuff would be more automated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2018 09:06, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 14:28:04 +0100, Scott wrote:

The other picked and inspected by someone with a masters degree

who is
legally responsible for ensuring the correct prescription is
dispensed.

And the second is also double checked by another qualified
pharmacist.

There cannot be many pharmacies with two pharmacists.

Good point, there is only one phramacist in the chemist down in town,
or the phramacy in the cottage hospital. However I'm pretty sure any
prescription is double checked if only for drug, drug formulation,
dose, quantity etc by A.N.Other before it's released.

Small pharmacies may only have one on duty at a time but they need more
than one to cover six day opening unless you want a sleepy pharmacist
dispensing drugs.

Larger ones may have two or more on duty to cope with the checking required.

The actual drugs can be dispensed by a trained dispenser but have to be
checked by a pharmacist.

With the exception of some drugs that are kept in the safe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2018 22:54, mechanic wrote:
On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 20:42:11 +0100, Andrew wrote:

The days when pharmacists actually made up preparations using
their knowledge of chemistry and pharma are longgggg gone.

They seem to have an important role in second guessing the doc's
prescriptions these days.

My GP prints prescriptions on a laser printer in the
consulting room, so the days of unreadable handwriting
should be a thing of the past.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2018 22:25, dennis@home wrote:
When did screwfix ever ring a builder if the nails were twice as long as
needed?

Dumb comment. How would screwfix know what the nails are being used
for ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2018 14:25, Andrew wrote:
On 09/07/2018 22:54, mechanic wrote:
On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 20:42:11 +0100, Andrew wrote:

The days when pharmacists actually made up preparations using
their knowledge of chemistry and pharma are longgggg gone.

They seem to have an important role in second guessing the doc's
prescriptions these days.

My GP prints prescriptions on a laser printer in the
consulting room, so the days of unreadable handwriting
should be a thing of the past.

+1
I haven't seen a handwritten prescription in 15+ years _BUT_ I think
that the second guessing may be more to do with the combination of drugs
etc. on a prescription being questioned. These days my doctor(s) seem
to have on their computer screens a list of drugs they can prescribe for
the condition they have diagnosed, combinations that are OK and warnings
about other combinations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2018 21:58, Rod Speed wrote:

The other problem is that there are a variety of forms
of meds too. Lipitor comes in ****ing great pills in a
much bigger box than the metoprolol for example.

Yep, I have tablets that are so small that when you ping them out of the
package and they fly off you will never find them again and other
tablets so large that an elephant would have trouble swallowing them.

I have had through my letter box an advertisement for an (online?)
pharmacy who will handle my repeat prescriptions and send them to me by
post. One of their unique selling points was that they sort your daily
intake of tablets for you. Say for instance that you had to take 4
different tablets at the same time each day the pharmacy would package
the 4 different tablets in a single "bubble" package so you didn't need
to open 4 different boxes. However, from memory, I don't think this
option was free.

I also have in my latest batch of generic tablets one that when placed
in the mouth instantly starts dissolving leaving a horrendous bitter and
unpleasant taste. The previous tables of the same kind, from a different
manufacturer, didn't do this .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, that’s likely the metoprolol, quite bitter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 14 July 2018 09:27:45 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
My GP prints prescriptions on a laser printer in the
consulting room, so the days of unreadable handwriting
should be a thing of the past.

+1
I haven't seen a handwritten prescription in 15+ years

I have, but it was from a dentist. Presumably he doesn't have prescription issuing software as he writes so few.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2018 10:03, alan_m wrote:
[...]

Its free if you have trouble remembering which tablets you take. Its an
NHS service. There may be options to pay for it if the NHS doesn't think
you need it.

I also have in my latest batch of generic tablets one that when placed
in the mouth instantly starts dissolving leaving a horrendous bitter and
unpleasant taste. The previous tables of the same kind, from a different
manufacturer, didn't do this .

Talk to the pharmacist and they will sort it for you.
Or a decent one will, YMMV if you use some remote online service.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2018 21:34, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jul 2018 20:45:25 +0100, newshound wrote:

If I purchase from Screwfix these days I tend to order and pay on line
and then wait for the text message to say my order has been picked
before the 5 minute car journey to collect the items.

+1, the "order to collect" system seems to work very well. (But I am now
driving near a new branch several days a week)

+1 here too. Screwfix is 2 miles away, and I often go in that direction
anyway.

Quite amusing, really. Set up online as a way to defeat the tyranny of
the sheds, then sell out to Kingfisher, finally start opening more
stores. I guess there's a lot of clever stuff hidden in the background,
with managing stock control and distribution. And of course a slick web
site helps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , newshound
wrote:
On 09/07/2018 21:34, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jul 2018 20:45:25 +0100, newshound wrote:

If I purchase from Screwfix these days I tend to order and pay on
line and then wait for the text message to say my order has been
picked before the 5 minute car journey to collect the items.

+1, the "order to collect" system seems to work very well. (But I am
now driving near a new branch several days a week)

+1 here too. Screwfix is 2 miles away, and I often go in that direction
anyway.

Quite amusing, really. Set up online as a way to defeat the tyranny of
the sheds, then sell out to Kingfisher, finally start opening more
stores. I guess there's a lot of clever stuff hidden in the background,
with managing stock control and distribution. And of course a slick web
site helps.

I think Screwfix started before on-line selling came into being. They were
a mail order catalogue company.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2018 14:40, charles wrote:
In article , newshound
wrote:
[...]

Quite right, it turns out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screwfix

although I only came across them when they came online. I'd been using
Woodfit for mail order for quite some time prior to that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 14:19:07 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 09/07/2018 21:34, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jul 2018 20:45:25 +0100, newshound wrote:

If I purchase from Screwfix these days I tend to order and pay on
line and then wait for the text message to say my order has been
picked before the 5 minute car journey to collect the items.

+1, the "order to collect" system seems to work very well. (But I am
now driving near a new branch several days a week)

+1 here too. Screwfix is 2 miles away, and I often go in that direction
anyway.

Quite amusing, really. Set up online as a way to defeat the tyranny of
the sheds, then sell out to Kingfisher, finally start opening more
stores. I guess there's a lot of clever stuff hidden in the background,
with managing stock control and distribution. And of course a slick web
site helps.

It's almost next to B&Q. But it's much less likely (not impossible) for
one to end up with a previously opened package with bits missing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 6:04:32 PM UTC+1, Me wrote:
On 7/9/2018 4:02 PM, DerbyBorn wrote:
How is it I can get about 20 assorted items from Screwfix in a few minutes
- yet a prescription in Boots at our Hospital - which involves reaching a
couple of items off a shelf takes at least 40 mins?

+1 Me too, same problem with Boots in BRI. Wife had to take her script
from the dental hospital to the BRI. Different building, different road.
Not allowed to take it to any branch of Boots or any other chemist.
The people "running" the NHS haven't a clue.

There is a small chemist near me, walk in, hand over the script, 40 seconds later walk out. There is another chemists and if they get an electronic prescription from the doctor seldom have prepared it in advance meaning there is a song and dance while it is prepared.
There has to be checks, but there is inefficiency at the chemist end too.

UGG Ultra boots$B!$(BUgg Classic boots$B!$(BUGG Ultimate Cuff boots$B!$(BUgg Sundance Grab Bag$B!$(Bcosieboots [email protected] Woodworking 0 November 19th 08 03:03 AM
sealing A/C ducts & boots by registers Mike Home Repair 10 July 3rd 07 03:56 AM
Installing ceiling boots (basement hvac) Brian Home Repair 1 February 4th 06 01:22 PM
difficult boots Ams UK diy 7 November 27th 05 09:41 PM
Cheap safety boots at Aldi today Lobster UK diy 3 February 14th 05 09:24 PM