Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BBC iPlayer HD problem

I distinctly recall that BBC iPlayer used to allow live "watch in HD" as
an option for BBC1 in the recent past but it seems to have vanished with
this new "improved" login with your ID crap. Where has it gone?

What settings must I change to enable full live HD streaming again?

Or it is that the rubbish programmes on at 0820 don't support HD?

Was hoping to watch the match on a big screen this afternoon via
projector streaming it from the net. No good at all if not full HD.

I was hoping to test that the system was working now and it isn't

Poldark of the BBC1 page seems to offer me HD playback by default but I
don't fancy being lynched this afternoon if I can only get an SD feed
for the live match on BBC1 iPlayer!

Thanks for any enlightenment...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2018 08:30, Martin Brown wrote:
I distinctly recall that BBC iPlayer used to allow live "watch in HD" as
an option for BBC1 in the recent past but it seems to have vanished with
this new "improved" login with your ID crap. Where has it gone?

What settings must I change to enable full live HD streaming again?

Or it is that the rubbish programmes on at 0820 don't support HD?

Was hoping to watch the match on a big screen this afternoon via
projector streaming it from the net. No good at all if not full HD.

I was hoping to test that the system was working now and it isn't

Poldark of the BBC1 page seems to offer me HD playback by default but I
don't fancy being lynched this afternoon if I can only get an SD feed
for the live match on BBC1 iPlayer!

Thanks for any enlightenment...

Do you mean ordinary HD or the experimental UHD that they have been trying?
There isn't much point in using the UHD feed on most projectors as they
struggle with HD.
Does your projector support UHD, if not then please leave the UHD to
someone that can use it as they have limited the number of slots available.
The UHD is only available on the world cup AFAIK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2018 08:30, Martin Brown wrote:
I distinctly recall that BBC iPlayer used to allow live "watch in HD" as
an option for BBC1 in the recent past but it seems to have vanished with
this new "improved" login with your ID crap. Where has it gone?

What settings must I change to enable full live HD streaming again?

Or it is that the rubbish programmes on at 0820 don't support HD?

Was hoping to watch the match on a big screen this afternoon via
projector streaming it from the net. No good at all if not full HD.

I was hoping to test that the system was working now and it isn't

Poldark of the BBC1 page seems to offer me HD playback by default but I
don't fancy being lynched this afternoon if I can only get an SD feed
for the live match on BBC1 iPlayer!

Thanks for any enlightenment...

BTW the England match isn't on BBC IIRC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/07/2018 10:28, dennis@home wrote:
On 07/07/2018 08:30, Martin Brown wrote:
I distinctly recall that BBC iPlayer used to allow live "watch in HD"
as an option for BBC1 in the recent past but it seems to have vanished
with this new "improved" login with your ID crap. Where has it gone?

What settings must I change to enable full live HD streaming again?

Or it is that the rubbish programmes on at 0820 don't support HD?

Was hoping to watch the match on a big screen this afternoon via
projector streaming it from the net. No good at all if not full HD.

I was hoping to test that the system was working now and it isn't

Poldark of the BBC1 page seems to offer me HD playback by default but
I don't fancy being lynched this afternoon if I can only get an SD
feed for the live match on BBC1 iPlayer!

Thanks for any enlightenment...

BTW the England match isn't on BBC IIRC.

FFS.

Can you get anything correct?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2018 10:43, ARW wrote:
[...]

Obviously not with football. But I don't watch it.
The wife does and its bloody annoying having her talk about it all the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/07/2018 11:27, dennis@home wrote:
On 07/07/2018 10:43, ARW wrote:
[...]

Should have asked her what channel it was on.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

You really are the resident clueless ****wit aren't you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/schedules/bbcone/20180707

And no I mean the standard HD live feed which used to be offered on the
iPlayer streaming channel (and looks like it is again from 1905 today).

It used to be the case that selecting a channel available in HD offered
you the option to view in HD if the intenet speed was OK. I do still get
that option on watch again for Poldark as an example but I do not get
anything other than poxy SD when I choose BBC1 or BBC2 live stream.

Now all I get when I follow their FAQ link for HD is a 404 error:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/faqs/bbchd_channels

Or no results at all. Does dim Dennis work for the BBC I wonder?

I can still watch Poldark in full HD on demand without problems so this
isn't my hardware or the internet link that is causing the problem.

Snag is we want to watch it on an HD projector if possible.
Bigger screen is no earthly good if it is an SD picture.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2018 08:30, Martin Brown wrote:
I distinctly recall that BBC iPlayer used to allow live "watch in HD" as
an option for BBC1 in the recent past but it seems to have vanished with
this new "improved" login with your ID crap. Where has it gone?

What settings must I change to enable full live HD streaming again?

Or it is that the rubbish programmes on at 0820 don't support HD?

Was hoping to watch the match on a big screen this afternoon via
projector streaming it from the net. No good at all if not full HD.

I was hoping to test that the system was working now and it isn't

Poldark of the BBC1 page seems to offer me HD playback by default but I
don't fancy being lynched this afternoon if I can only get an SD feed
for the live match on BBC1 iPlayer!

Thanks for any enlightenment...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/hd_general

On my web browser (Firefox on a Mac), some programmes have a 'switch'
shown beneath the picture if it's available. Similar on the Samsung and
LG TV apps.

UHD on the TV is pretty good. I'm not sure if my TV is big enough to
appreciate the extra resolution (UHD 43" TV - up close there's maybe
more detail over HD, I'm not sure), but the colours through the iPlayer
at least look far richer when watching live.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2018 12:30, ARW wrote:
Should have asked her what channel it was on.

Number 5 ? (Chanel)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/07/2018 13:11, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

How does the village cope when he is on holiday?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

I distinctly recall that BBC iPlayer used to allow live "watch in HD" as
an option for BBC1 in the recent past but it seems to have vanished

Make sure you're trying to watch a national version of BBC1, rather than
a regional one ... then you should get 1280x720 rather than 960x540

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2018 13:16, RJH wrote:
[...]

It seems to be that they have deliberately degraded the BBC1 live
streaming internet feed to 1M7 as opposed to ~3M on BBC2, News and watch
on demand Poldark. It makes any kind of fast sports action look rubbish.
Native image resolution 960x540 interpolated up doesn't help either.

The BBC1 feed identifies as "1700kbps | dash (II_dash_live_https)"
whereas those for BBC channels at decent bandwidth identify as
"2908kbps | dash (akmai_dash_live_https)". It takes about 10s to move
the the higher speed when first selected. BBC1 never speeds up

UHD on the TV is pretty good. I'm not sure if my TV is big enough to
appreciate the extra resolution (UHD 43" TV - up close there's maybe
more detail over HD, I'm not sure), but the colours through the iPlayer
at least look far richer when watching live.

At this rate we will give up and watch it in true HD on my 47" at home
but it is a tremendous disappointment to find that BBC1 HD streaming no
longer works reliably when it was once perfectly good. Fine time for
them to cock it up. What is the point of a non-native HD resolution?

What sort of moron puts sports action onto a low bandwidth stream?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 07/07/2018 08:30, Martin Brown wrote:
I distinctly recall that BBC iPlayer used to allow live "watch in HD" as
an option for BBC1 in the recent past but it seems to have vanished with
this new "improved" login with your ID crap. Where has it gone?

What settings must I change to enable full live HD streaming again?

Or it is that the rubbish programmes on at 0820 don't support HD?

Was hoping to watch the match on a big screen this afternoon via
projector streaming it from the net. No good at all if not full HD.

I was hoping to test that the system was working now and it isn't

Poldark of the BBC1 page seems to offer me HD playback by default but I
don't fancy being lynched this afternoon if I can only get an SD feed
for the live match on BBC1 iPlayer!

Thanks for any enlightenment...

The BBC have changed the encoding method for "efficiency" so effectively
you cannot choose any more, it will deliver what it sees is appropriate
according to your connection speed.

Now using "Dash" encoding:
https://www.w3.org/2011/09/webtv/sli...C-Workshop.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 07/07/2018 14:18, Martin Brown wrote:

The BBC1 feed identifies as "1700kbps | dash (II_dash_live_https)"
whereas those for BBC channels at decent bandwidth identify as
"2908kbps | dash (akmai_dash_live_https)". It takes about 10s to move
the the higher speed when first selected. BBC1 never speeds up

Yes, does seem arbitrary, Wimbledon is currently at 5166kbps here for
instance.

At this rate we will give up and watch it in true HD on my 47" at home
but it is a tremendous disappointment to find that BBC1 HD streaming no
longer works reliably when it was once perfectly good. Fine time for
them to cock it up. What is the point of a non-native HD resolution?

What sort of moron puts sports action onto a low bandwidth stream?

At a guess, cost saving?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2018 14:04, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

I distinctly recall that BBC iPlayer used to allow live "watch in HD"
as an option for BBC1 in the recent past but it seems to have vanished

Make sure you're trying to watch a national version of BBC1, rather than
a regional one ... then you should get 1280x720 rather than 960x540

How do you force iPlayer to access the national channel?
The BBC HD FAQ is f*cking useless and fails 404.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/18 13:11, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

I am watching it now in what claims to be HD

bbc1_hd|960x450

???

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/18 14:18, Martin Brown wrote:
It seems to be that they have deliberately degraded the BBC1 live
streaming internet feed to 1M7 as opposed to ~3M on BBC2, News and watch
on demand Poldark. It makes any kind of fast sports action look rubbish.
Native image resolution 960x540 interpolated up doesn't help either.

My feed claimns 2907kbps on BBC1 england v sweden

**** me some **** in a red shirt just scored a goal-thing.

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 07/07/18 14:18, Martin Brown wrote:
It seems to be that they have deliberately degraded the BBC1 live
streaming internet feed to 1M7 as opposed to ~3M on BBC2, News and
watch on demand Poldark. It makes any kind of fast sports action look
rubbish. Native image resolution 960x540 interpolated up doesn't help
either.

My feed claimns 2907kbps on BBC1 england v sweden

**** me some **** in a red shirt just scored a goal-thing.

Inconsistencies abound it seems, play it from the BBC homepage and it
does 960x540@2907kbps, straight from iPlayer and it ups it to
1280x720@5166kbps.

Different streams?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/18 15:48, Lee wrote:
On 07/07/18 14:18, Martin Brown wrote:
It seems to be that they have deliberately degraded the BBC1 live
streaming internet feed to 1M7 as opposed to ~3M on BBC2, News and
watch on demand Poldark. It makes any kind of fast sports action look
rubbish. Native image resolution 960x540 interpolated up doesn't help
either.

My feed claimns 2907kbps on BBC1 england v sweden

**** me some **** in a red shirt just scored a goal-thing.

Inconsistencies abound it seems, play it from the BBC homepage and it
does 960x540@2907kbps,Â* straight from iPlayer and it ups it to
1280x720@5166kbps.

Different streams?

I think that the truth is it probably auto adjusts to the highest speed
it can.

My link these days is only about 4Mbps

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/18 15:48, Lee wrote:
On 07/07/18 14:18, Martin Brown wrote:
It seems to be that they have deliberately degraded the BBC1 live
streaming internet feed to 1M7 as opposed to ~3M on BBC2, News and
watch on demand Poldark. It makes any kind of fast sports action
look rubbish. Native image resolution 960x540 interpolated up
doesn't help either.

My feed claimns 2907kbps on BBC1 england v sweden

**** me some **** in a red shirt just scored a goal-thing.

Looks like we are in the semi finals. I will try and rig a spare
satellite feed and appropriate interconnects in time for that.

Inconsistencies abound it seems, play it from the BBC homepage and it
does 960x540@2907kbps,Â* straight from iPlayer and it ups it to
1280x720@5166kbps.

Different streams?

I think that the truth is it probably auto adjusts to the highest speed
it can.

My link these days is only about 4Mbps

That doesn't quite square with me getting BBC2 in the 3-5Mbps range and
BBC1 resolutely stuck in the 1.7Mbps range no matter what I tried

The new "Improved" iPlayer is utter crap

And the FAQs on BBC HD fail 404 not found - how professional NOT!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
UHD on the TV is pretty good. I'm not sure if my TV is big enough to
appreciate the extra resolution (UHD 43" TV - up close there's maybe
more detail over HD, I'm not sure), but the colours through the iPlayer
at least look far richer when watching live.

The sounds is usually louder too. Not sure that makes either correct. ;-)

--
*I was once a millionaire but my mom gave away my baseball cards

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

So it isn't just me that is having problems getting real HD out of the
BBC iPlayer site. I think Feedback's is due a rocket over this...

I wouldn't have minded so much if it could manage a 3Mbps stream but
1.7M looks like cartoon Mickey Mouse animation. The tennis on BBC2 was
just about acceptable at between 3M & 5M depending on the content.

Their stream for BBC1 was utter crap. I watched it on the sofa in proper
satellite HD after going to a fair amount of trouble to setup a full HD
capable internet projector off a PC which looked pathetic by comparison.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 07/07/2018 10:43, ARW wrote:
[...]

Time to trade her in on a new bimbo who hates football.

Can be expensive tho and you are unlikely to be able
to find another actually stupid enough to have you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

How do you force iPlayer to access the national channel?

"change location" close to the bottom of the page
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2018 10:12, dennis@home wrote:
[...]

World Cup and Wimbledon. And it's superb!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2018 10:43, ARW wrote:
[...]

She doesn't know I have to go looking for it about five minutes before
kickoff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I'm not the clueless one that can't get HD on iPlayer though.
I would tell you but I am not using a PC to access it.
My TV does iPlayer in UHD and its easy to find.

Maybe I'm not as dim as you are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Someone else that doesn't know how to get HD on iPlayer then.
I wonder if MB will accuse him of being dim?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2018 17:30, Martin Brown wrote:
On 07/07/18 15:48, Lee wrote:
[...]

Since you are too dim to get to the faq here is a bit from it for you....

What channels can I watch live in HD?
Some live regional programming on BBC One and BBC Two is not yet
available in HD. You might be able to watch some live TV in HD on BBC
iPlayer based on the current location you have set.
To get BBC One in HD: set your location to England, Scotland, Northern
Ireland or Wales
To get BBC Two in HD: set your location to England or any of the English
Regions
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/07/2018 10:43, ARW wrote:
[...]

Would you not be better off getting that info before posting to the
newsgroup and making yourself look like a **** (again)?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2018 12:27, ARW wrote:

8
Would you not be better off getting that info before posting to the
newsgroup and making yourself look like a **** (again)?

Only a **** would think someone not knowing which channel a TV program
is on is a ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/07/2018 14:23, dennis@home wrote:
On 08/07/2018 12:27, ARW wrote:

8
Would you not be better off getting that info before posting to the
newsgroup and making yourself look like a **** (again)?

Â*Only a **** would think someone not knowing which channel a TV program
is on is a ****.

There is a difference between not knowing what channel a football match
is on and making a post with the incorrect info about what channel the
match is on.

You really are a thick ****.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Jul 2018 14:32:00 +0100, ARW wrote:

There is a difference between not knowing what channel a football match
is on and making a post with the incorrect info about what channel the
match is on.

You really are a thick ****.

Well, when it comes to thick ****s, Dennis is the very chap! :-D

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2018 11:32, dennis@home wrote:
On 07/07/2018 13:11, Martin Brown wrote:

Snag is we want to watch it on an HD projector if possible.
Bigger screen is no earthly good if it is an SD picture.

I'm not the clueless one that can't get HD on iPlayer though.
I would tell you but I am not using a PC to access it.
My TV does iPlayer in UHD and its easy to find.

Maybe I'm not as dim as you are.

More likely that your TV is way smarter than you are.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2018 17:50, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

It would appear that provided you are in London and the Home Counties it
will very probably all work by default but for everywhere else in the UK
if you have set a locality then you get a regional degraded HD service
at 960x450. (which is equally wrong for both 720p and 1080p displays)

I wouldn't have minded so much if it could manage a 3Mbps stream but
1.7M looks like cartoon Mickey Mouse animation. The tennis on BBC2 was
just about acceptable at between 3M & 5M depending on the content.

You have to find a line thin black line right at the bottom of the page
just above "Elsewhere on the BBC" to tweak settings and change your
locality to "England" - it isn't on the user settings page at all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone#changeloc

Setting location to "England" will force it to provide a true 3-5Mbps HD
feed at full native resolution. Shame that their FAQs are complete
dross. Failing to provide any useful info about the config settings.

Their stream for BBC1 was utter crap. I watched it on the sofa in proper
satellite HD after going to a fair amount of trouble to setup a full HD
capable internet projector off a PC which looked pathetic by comparison.

It only seems to be a problem outside of London...surprise surprise.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/18 17:10, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Makes absolutely no difference

Setting location to "England" will force it to provide a true 3-5Mbps HD
feed at full native resolution. Shame that their FAQs are complete
dross. Failing to provide any useful info about the config settings.

Their stream for BBC1 was utter crap. I watched it on the sofa in
proper satellite HD after going to a fair amount of trouble to setup a
full HD capable internet projector off a PC which looked pathetic by
comparison.

It only seems to be a problem outside of London...surprise surprise.

Nope, its a problem IN london as well.

As a 34 year old black nurse working in Hampstead,(well thats what I
told the BBC) the feed is exactly the same as what it was when I told
them I lived in Milton Keynes and set teh location to EAST

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Works for me (even though my link speed is only 6Mbps tops).
It identifies itself as 2908kbps | HDS (limelight_hds_https bbc_one_hd)

Quality is way better than the poxy regional feed at 1700kbps.

The FAQs are not correctly indexed and meaningless.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/18 20:54, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

I get 2908kbps 950 x 450 IIRC but not HD. regional or not.

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/18 20:54, Martin Brown wrote:
On 09/07/18 17:10, Martin Brown wrote:

You have to find a line thin black line right at the bottom of the
page just above "Elsewhere on the BBC" to tweak settings and change
your locality to "England" - it isn't on the user settings page at all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone#changeloc

Makes absolutely no difference

Works for me (even though my link speed is only 6Mbps tops).
It identifies itself as 2908kbps | HDS (limelight_hds_https bbc_one_hd)

Quality is way better than the poxy regional feed at 1700kbps.

The FAQs are not correctly indexed and meaningless.

I get 2908kbps 950 x 450 IIRC but not HD. regional or not.

I can't get the codec to tell me the true pixel resolution of the HD
stream that I get for "England" but it claims to be BBC_HD and so long
as I go there in full screen mode default I get either a 5M stream or a
3M stream depending on which way the wind is blowing. Starting from the
partial view on the screen seems less reliable often ending at 1.7M.

But I noticed that if an email comes in whilst it is on at 3M then the
stream backs off to 1.7M and never comes back to full quality again

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/18 08:17, Martin Brown wrote:
But I noticed that if an email comes in whilst it is on at 3M then the
stream backs off to 1.7M and never comes back to full quality again

Thtat is more consistent with my suspicion that yer beeb is actually
interperting response delay into probable line speed and adjusting the
rate to get a stutter free delivery, even if its lower res.

Mark Twain

Jodrell Bank thing on iPlayer Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] UK diy 4 July 21st 16 08:24 AM
BBC iPlayer Rick Hughes[_5_] UK diy 1 January 26th 14 08:13 PM
OT - Kenny Everett at the BBC Halmyre UK diy 21 March 22nd 13 07:13 PM
O/T: BBC "Disaster masters" s--p--o--n--i--x UK diy 18 July 29th 05 02:57 PM