Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Acrylic mirror sheeting

Just wondering if anyone here has used (or heard tales of) acrylic mirror
sheeting. Can acrylic provide the same dead-flat mirror effect as glass?
Are there any particularly recommended makers and/or suppliers?

Many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here has used (or heard tales of) acrylic mirror
sheeting. Can acrylic provide the same dead-flat mirror effect as glass?
Are there any particularly recommended makers and/or suppliers?

Many thanks.

It needs to be fixed to a totally flat rigid background, If not, you get
the fairground distorting mirror effect.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2018 12:55, charles wrote:
In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here has used (or heard tales of) acrylic mirror
sheeting. Can acrylic provide the same dead-flat mirror effect as glass?
Are there any particularly recommended makers and/or suppliers?

Many thanks.

It needs to be fixed to a totally flat rigid background, If not, you get
the fairground distorting mirror effect.

I have some large acrylic mirrors and in some lighting conditions they
can have subtle milky appearance especially if viewed at an angle other
than 90 degrees to their surface. This effect is noticeable when the sun
is shining through my windows on to the mirrors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It may be worth using a long straight edge to test the flatness of the bedroom ceiling...
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here has used (or heard tales of) acrylic mirror
sheeting. Can acrylic provide the same dead-flat mirror effect as glass?
Are there any particularly recommended makers and/or suppliers?

Many thanks.

It needs to be fixed to a totally flat rigid background, If not, you get
the fairground distorting mirror effect.

I have some large acrylic mirrors and in some lighting conditions they
can have subtle milky appearance especially if viewed at an angle other
than 90 degrees to their surface. This effect is noticeable when the sun
is shining through my windows on to the mirrors.

I might be misremembering, but didn't the Medway Handyman have a job
to fix it to all the ceilings in a local house? Had to wait around
out of sight until clients had finished using some of the rooms...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 14:05:29 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Bert Coules wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here has used (or heard tales of) acrylic
mirror sheeting. Can acrylic provide the same dead-flat mirror
effect as glass?
Are there any particularly recommended makers and/or suppliers?

Many thanks.

It needs to be fixed to a totally flat rigid background, If not, you
get the fairground distorting mirror effect.

I have some large acrylic mirrors and in some lighting conditions they
can have subtle milky appearance especially if viewed at an angle other
than 90 degrees to their surface. This effect is noticeable when the
sun is shining through my windows on to the mirrors.

I might be misremembering, but didn't the Medway Handyman have a job to
fix it to all the ceilings in a local house? Had to wait around out of
sight until clients had finished using some of the rooms...

I remember he had something like that. But then it was Medway...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2018 12:31, Bert Coules wrote:

Just wondering if anyone here has used (or heard tales of) acrylic
mirror sheeting.Â* Can acrylic provide the same dead-flat mirror effect
as glass? Are there any particularly recommended makers and/or suppliers?

It can but the devil is in the details. To get it flat you have to
support it somehow and if you don't do it right the glue will rip the
mirror surface off the back. Especially true of the thinner stuff.

Also plastic expands and contracts a lot more than glass.

It is widely used by model makers.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote:

I have some large acrylic mirrors and in some lighting conditions they
can have subtle milky appearance especially if viewed at an angle other
than 90 degrees to their surface.

That's particularly relevant for my potential use; thanks.

And thanks to everyone else for the responses and tips.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 June 2018 15:05:31 UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I might be misremembering, but didn't the Medway Handyman have a job
to fix it to all the ceilings in a local house? Had to wait around
out of sight until clients had finished using some of the rooms...

Always handy to have a wipe-clean ceiling.

And they probably get a quantitty discount from the window cleaner.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks, Martin. The expansion thing is a good point. And I might be
looking at a sizeable sheet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes its slightly bendy.
I remember back in the late 60s, when colour tvs were first made, you had
to adjust the convergence of the three beams from behind the tv. The ladies
that did this, looked at the screen in a mirror made of a very tightly
stretched reflective polyester sheet, surface silvered. These were fun to
play with but they were used mainly cos they were cheap and did not have the
nasty prismatic effects of glass silvered on the back. You needed accurate
reflections of the colours to tell when the job was done.
Most women seemed far better at doing this than the blokes, much to many
peoples annoyance.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here has used (or heard tales of) acrylic mirror
sheeting. Can acrylic provide the same dead-flat mirror effect as glass?
Are there any particularly recommended makers and/or suppliers?

Many thanks.

It needs to be fixed to a totally flat rigid background, If not, you get
the fairground distorting mirror effect.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2018 19:00, Bert Coules wrote:
Thanks, Martin.Â* The expansion thing is a good point.Â* And I might be
looking at a sizeable sheet.

It's commonly used to provide large mirrors in horse riding arenas, it
may be worth adding this into your search terms if you havn't come
across these suppliers. I've also heard of people putting mirror
finished stainless steel sheet into horse stables (this is for the
benefit of the horses rather than the riders as in the other case). But
these are *very* expensive.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for that. My possible job certainly wouldn't justify the expense of
mirror-finish stainless steel, but the stables/riding arena line of
investigation is a good tip.