Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The bathrooms have escaped

If you work on the principle that big DIY jobs are never truly finished,
they just reach a point where all the stuff that is left to do just gets
added to a list ;-)

A long rambling tale for them that like that kind of stuff:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._refurbishment

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

If you work on the principle that big DIY jobs are never truly finished,
they just reach a point where all the stuff that is left to do just gets
added to a list ;-)

A long rambling tale for them that like that kind of stuff:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._refurbishment

An interesting story, and a good looking job.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 June 2018 14:29:51 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
If you work on the principle that big DIY jobs are never truly finished,

I don't think *any* of mine ever get even approximately finished.

I need to get some skirting for the bathroom; the previous incompetent used dado rail as skirting. (And some of my tiles have fallen off.)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes

A long rambling tale for them that like that kind of stuff:

****. John takes less time to completely refit two bathrooms than I
take to rip out a shower, bog and basin, and fit one end cap :-)

Great job.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/18 18:17, Graeme wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes

A long rambling tale for them that like that kind of stuff:

****.Â* John takes less time to completely refit two bathrooms than I
take to rip out a shower, bog and basin, and fit one end cap :-)

Great job.

Yeah - John's annoying like that :-

I've had the pleasure of meeting him personally and he's a damn fine
bloke. Adam too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-06-28, Graeme wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes

A long rambling tale for them that like that kind of stuff:

****. John takes less time to completely refit two bathrooms than I
take to rip out a shower, bog and basin, and fit one end cap :-)

Actually, I was quite relieved to get to the end and find that he'd
taken 4 months, which was about what last big bathroom refurb took. I
expected him to have done it in about 4 weekends!

That would have been nice... but not going to happen for so many reasons
alas!

I had about two weeks full time to kick it off, but then it was just a
couple of hours a day here and there, and a few evenings and weekends...

It probably took as much elapsed time as doing all the structural bits
on the left conversion I did at the last place, but then I had help with
some of that, not to mention being 14 years younger ;-)

Great job.

Agreed.

Yeah, well I only pick the camera angles to show you the nice bits...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2018 17:20, pamela wrote:
On 14:29 28 Jun 2018, John Rumm wrote:

If you work on the principle that big DIY jobs are never truly
finished, they just reach a point where all the stuff that is left
to do just gets added to a list ;-)

A long rambling tale for them that like that kind of stuff:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...of_a_bathroom_
refurbishment

The original pictures of the old bathroom didn't look too bad

Yup I thought that when I looked at them - but keep in mind those were
taken 10 years ago (they were the only "before" photos I had, since I
forgot to take some before I started working). They were also taken with
fairly sympathetic angles and lighting!

Most of the issues with the main bathroom were practical rather than
aesthetic. The bath was not a good shape (too shallow, and short), there
was no shower, the floor was actually quite dangerous when wet. The
glaze on the loo knackered etc.

Then our en-suite was due to be done anyway since I wanted a shower in
there. The bath seemed like a nice addition, and while the WC etc worked
well enough, I was not a fan of the dark pink!

(there is a fair chance all the fittings were 15 years old when we moved in)

but the new one is even better. It's a good result. Well done.

Thanks. Not going to be to everyone's taste I am sure, but it seems to
fit the bill for us.

It must add another 5% to the total effort to document, photograph and
write it up so clearly!

Alas I did not take many photo's of this, since I thought at the outset
there would not be much "new" in the process to write up. Its only by
the time the end of it approached I realised that there was an awful lot
of "detail" stuff that potentially might have been interesting.

(there is also the point that having the page handy serves as a handy
record of what I did and when - either for my own reference, or just to
show off some pictures if people ask what I have been up to!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2018 15:31, Chris J Dixon wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

If you work on the principle that big DIY jobs are never truly finished,
they just reach a point where all the stuff that is left to do just gets
added to a list ;-)

A long rambling tale for them that like that kind of stuff:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._refurbishment

An interesting story,

I have just rewritten the text to make it a bit more consistent in
style, and added a few diagrams.

and a good looking job.

Ta...

I have one bit of extra tarting I might yet do... ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.