Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default T5 kitchen lighting balast compatibilty

Hi all,

I have a run of 3x20W fluorescent under-cabinet slimline strip lights;
only the middle one of which is still working. I was about to replace the
outer two when I read this warning at the bottom of the installation
sheet:

"These T5 luminaires must not be wired on the same circuit as standard
fluorescent fittings which use conventional low-loss magnetic ballasts."

How can I tell if the one remaining working one is of this type and is it
really important? It's been there since before I bought the place so at
least 7 years old.

ta!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 June 2018 13:49:19 UTC+1, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

I have a run of 3x20W fluorescent under-cabinet slimline strip lights;
only the middle one of which is still working. I was about to replace the
outer two when I read this warning at the bottom of the installation
sheet:

"These T5 luminaires must not be wired on the same circuit as standard
fluorescent fittings which use conventional low-loss magnetic ballasts."

How can I tell if the one remaining working one is of this type and is it
really important? It's been there since before I bought the place so at
least 7 years old.

ta!

the only reason to avoid that I can think of is inductive kickback. It's easy to tell magnetic from electronic ballasts, perhaps googling will demonstrate.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/06/2018 13:49, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

I have a run of 3x20W fluorescent under-cabinet slimline strip lights;
only the middle one of which is still working. I was about to replace the
outer two when I read this warning at the bottom of the installation
sheet:

"These T5 luminaires must not be wired on the same circuit as standard
fluorescent fittings which use conventional low-loss magnetic ballasts."

How can I tell if the one remaining working one is of this type and is it
really important? It's been there since before I bought the place so at
least 7 years old.

ta!

Want a serious answer?

Just replace all 3 tubes with identical tubes.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 20:37:59 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

T5 HE and T5 HO tubes only run on electronic control gear. However,
since I don't know what your non-standard T5 tube is, I can't be sure
the same applies to that. The older T5 halophophate range could run on
magnetic ballasts, but they are rated 4,6,8,13W.

The 'new' one I want to fit was made in 2014 and is rated at 14W. The old
ones were all 20W rating.
The 'new' one runs straight off 240V so needs no fancy supply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One ticks and the other sort of comes on slowly!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
news
In article ,
writes:
On Tuesday, 19 June 2018 13:49:19 UTC+1, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

I have a run of 3x20W fluorescent under-cabinet slimline strip lights;
only the middle one of which is still working. I was about to replace
the
outer two when I read this warning at the bottom of the installation
sheet:

"These T5 luminaires must not be wired on the same circuit as standard
fluorescent fittings which use conventional low-loss magnetic ballasts."

How can I tell if the one remaining working one is of this type and is
it
really important? It's been there since before I bought the place so at
least 7 years old.

20W is not a standard T5 tube rating.