Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tap handle loose

It' a mixer, left for hot, right for cold, lift for on, down for off,
with a rotating spout to direct the flow. The handle is becoming a
little loose, there is a bit of free up and down motion befoe it acts,
but I cannot see any obvious fixing mechanism for the handle to the
rest of the tap - other than the blob of plastic coloured red and blue.
The 'blob' is on the handle part, directly under the handle. Before I
struggle to get the 'blob' out, is the handle fixing behind that
please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2018 17:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It' a mixer, left for hot, right for cold, lift for on, down for off,
with a rotating spout to direct the flow. The handle is becoming a
little loose, there is a bit of free up and down motion befoe it acts,
but I cannot see any obvious fixing mechanism for the handle to the rest
of the tap - other than the blob of plastic coloured red and blue.
The 'blob' is on the handle part, directly under the handle. Before I
struggle to get the 'blob' out, is the handle fixing behind that please?

Often yes, hex/allen key often needed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2018 19:07, alan_m wrote:

Often yes, hex/allen key often needed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dNL...youtu.be&t=323

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m expressed precisely :
Often yes, hex/allen key often needed

Thanks, I didn't want to try riving something out, which wasn't
intended to be popped out. Its the caravan's kitchen sink tap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It' a mixer, left for hot, right for cold, lift for on, down for off,
with a rotating spout to direct the flow. The handle is becoming a
little loose, there is a bit of free up and down motion befoe it acts,
but I cannot see any obvious fixing mechanism for the handle to the
rest of the tap - other than the blob of plastic coloured red and
blue. The 'blob' is on the handle part, directly under the handle.
Before I struggle to get the 'blob' out, is the handle fixing behind
that please?

Grub screw somewhere. They are not easy to see.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m was thinking very hard :
On 09/06/2018 19:07, alan_m wrote:

Often yes, hex/allen key often needed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dNL...youtu.be&t=323

it is the same tap as that one. Thanks..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 09/06/2018 19:17, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It' a mixer, left for hot, right for cold, lift for on, down for off,
with a rotating spout to direct the flow. The handle is becoming a
little loose, there is a bit of free up and down motion befoe it acts,
but I cannot see any obvious fixing mechanism for the handle to the
rest of the tap - other than the blob of plastic coloured red and
blue. The 'blob' is on the handle part, directly under the handle.
Before I struggle to get the 'blob' out, is the handle fixing behind
that please?

Grub screw somewhere. They are not easy to see.

Indeed. Somewhere.

Is there likely to be any adjustment once the handle is off?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It' a mixer, left for hot, right for cold, lift for on, down for
off, with a rotating spout to direct the flow. The handle is
becoming a little loose, there is a bit of free up and down motion
befoe it acts, but I cannot see any obvious fixing mechanism for
the handle to the rest of the tap - other than the blob of plastic
coloured red and blue. The 'blob' is on the handle part, directly
under the handle. Before I struggle to get the 'blob' out, is the
handle fixing behind that please?

Grub screw somewhere. They are not easy to see.

Indeed. Somewhere.

They are always at the back of the tap.

Is there likely to be any adjustment once the handle is off?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It' a mixer, left for hot, right for cold, lift for on, down for
off, with a rotating spout to direct the flow. The handle is
becoming a little loose, there is a bit of free up and down motion
befoe it acts, but I cannot see any obvious fixing mechanism for
the handle to the rest of the tap - other than the blob of plastic
coloured red and blue. The 'blob' is on the handle part, directly
under the handle. Before I struggle to get the 'blob' out, is the
handle fixing behind that please?

Grub screw somewhere. They are not easy to see.

Indeed. Somewhere.

They are always at the back of the tap.

This particular one, you lever off the hot/cold indicator button on the
front of the tap, and the grub screw is under there.

I'm more interested in what you do when you've dismantled the tap?
There's nothing to tighten up. Maybe, put a new cartridge in, but that's
going to be most of the cost of a new tap?

Is there likely to be any adjustment once the handle is off?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that GB formulated :
This particular one, you lever off the hot/cold indicator button on the front
of the tap, and the grub screw is under there.

I'm more interested in what you do when you've dismantled the tap? There's
nothing to tighten up. Maybe, put a new cartridge in, but that's going to be
most of the cost of a new tap?

To be fair...

I have just noticed I fitted the very same mixer tap to our bathroom
wash basin (shows how little attention I pay), this was some ten years
ago and it is still working absolutely fine - no drips at all.