Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Loose refrigerator door handle

The refrigerator (GE) door handle is getting loose from constant pulling. I
don't see an obvious way to get at the fasteners to tighten them. Any ideas?

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/15181940_VjwbY

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote the following:
The refrigerator (GE) door handle is getting loose from constant pulling. I
don't see an obvious way to get at the fasteners to tighten them. Any ideas?

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/15181940_VjwbY

It will require removing the inside plastic shelf unit to get at the screws.
It's not something that I would attempt. You may need an authorized GE
repair service.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

What is the Model number of the refrigerator?

I think that you may be able to access the screws fro the inside under the
magnetic strip that holds the door closed.

But if you go to the GE website and do a search for the model number, of
just do a Google search for the model number, I'd bet that you'll see an
exploded view parts manual that shows how the door handles are connected.

bob wrote:
The refrigerator (GE) door handle is getting loose from constant
pulling. I don't see an obvious way to get at the fasteners to
tighten them. Any ideas?
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/15181940_VjwbY

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob" wrote in message
b.com...
The refrigerator (GE) door handle is getting loose from constant pulling.
I don't see an obvious way to get at the fasteners to tighten them. Any
ideas?

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/15181940_VjwbY

I just bought a new LG French door fridge. The plastic was all over, even
behind the door handles where they attach to the doors. I was wondering how
I was going to get it out, and my handyman just lifted up on the handles,
they came off in his hand, he took out the plastic, and put the handles back
on and pressed them down into place. Look for the obvious. It was in the
directions, too, but who looks there?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"RogerT" wrote in message
What is the Model number of the refrigerator?

It's a GE model 20-27. I found very little info on the web. I added photos
of the user manual cover.
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/15181940_VjwbY

I think that you may be able to access the screws fro the inside under the
magnetic strip that holds the door closed.

You may be right; the magnetic strip is inside the door opposite the door
handle. Now the question becomes, how do I remove the magnetic strip? It
looks glued on. If I pull it off, it may be torn. Plus, what glue would I
use to glue it back, and how can I glue it back so square and straight?

But if you go to the GE website and do a search for the model number, of
just do a Google search for the model number, I'd bet that you'll see an
exploded view parts manual that shows how the door handles are connected.

Searching for 20-27 on GE's website returned nothing relevant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you need a better model number other than Model 20-27.

Here are two links for where to find the model number:

http://www.geappliances.com/videos-m...tegoryid=13811

http://www.geappliances.com/finder/siderefrig.htm

"bob" wrote in message
eb.com...
"RogerT" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ge+side+by+side...+handles+loose

Also, here's one answer from the search:
Customer Question

My GE

side-by-side refrigerator door handle is loose. Is this easy to fix and if
so how do I fix it?

Submitted: 471 days and 8 hours ago.

Category: Appliance

Optional Information

Make: ge side - by -side
Model: tfs26pppdbs

Accepted Answer

with a small flat blade screw driver stick between the handle and the door
trim on top and push it up and on the bottom push it down and you can access
the screws in the handles and tighten / thanks Larry

"bob" wrote in message
eb.com...
"RogerT" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you may be able to just snap it firmly into place, no
adjustments, no screwdriver required. Just pull hard on it, not
sure whether up or down, but one firm pull.

On 12/25/2010 10:00 PM, RogerT wrote:
Try this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ge+side+by+side...+handles+loose

Also, here's one answer from the search:
Customer Question

My GE

side-by-side refrigerator door handle is loose. Is this easy to fix and
if so how do I fix it?

Submitted: 471 days and 8 hours ago.

Category: Appliance

Optional Information

Make: ge side - by -side
Model: tfs26pppdbs

Accepted Answer

with a small flat blade screw driver stick between the handle and the
door trim on top and push it up and on the bottom push it down and you
can access the screws in the handles and tighten / thanks Larry

"bob" wrote in message
eb.com...
"RogerT" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:
I think you need a better model number other than Model 20-27.

Printed on a bar code on the back of the refrigerator is this model
number: TFX-25VP

With this I was able to find parts and exploded view of the
refrigerator.
But I already figured out how to get at the screw. Pull the upper
handle cover away from the door did the trick. I added a photo of the
loose screw at the end of this album:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/15181940_VjwbY

The screw is very loose -- I could turn it with finger. Apparently,
each time the door handle is pulled, it is jostled and got even
looser. I tightened it. It is a sheet metal screw (no nut on the
other side, just some plastic), so I don't want to make it super
tight lest I strip the thread.
How do I prevent it from jostling loose again? If it was a machine
screw, I'd use loctite. Sheet metal screw, I have no idea how.

I'm glad you were able to find the right model number and access exploded
views online etc. The Internet still amazes me when it comes to finding
information like that while sitting at a computer.

I'm not sure what would help lock the screw in place. I would consider
trying a dab of some other type of glue -- maybe something like Duco Cement,
but I don't really know what would be good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2010 12:56 PM, RogerT wrote:
bob wrote:
[...]

Consider a thread locker like Loctite. It's available everywhere.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/threadlockers.shtml

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 24, 2010 at 10:46:50 AM UTC-8, bob wrote:
The refrigerator (GE) door handle is getting loose from constant pulling. I
don't see an obvious way to get at the fasteners to tighten them. Any ideas?

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/15181940_VjwbY

This is the only way to do it (easy, safe, non-destructive)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4VxcJOhkLs
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 11, 2015 at 9:15:03 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, December 24, 2010 at 10:46:50 AM UTC-8, bob wrote:
The refrigerator (GE) door handle is getting loose from constant pulling. I
don't see an obvious way to get at the fasteners to tighten them. Any ideas?

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/15181940_VjwbY

This is the only way to do it (easy, safe, non-destructive)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4VxcJOhkLs

Bob bought a new refrigerator 4 years ago. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fridge Monster