Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decent British or German solenoid valve manufacturer?

Does anyone know of a *decent* manufacturer of water solenoid valves,
preferably a source from which there could be some come-back in the
future, such that I can get an outdoor valve (240V, I don't care what
fittings it is, 3/4 BSP or whatever, as long as I can interface it to a
standard water Hep 25mm pipe by some means or other) which doesn't leak
exactly one year and two weeks after I buy it?

Yes, everything in this world is ****. I can spend £30 on Ebay from a UK
seller on a valve for the timing device for my pond top-up system, and
find that it lasts a year before I see drips coming out of the end of
the pipe...

The offending item was, I believe, a Klod valve, bought from a UK seller
(now vanished from Ebay) but I think made in Thailand?

Michael
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2018 12:09, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
water solenoid valves

Does it have to be electrically operated? Surestop have a valve
manually operated by differential water pressure.

The on/off switch on one model can be palced a couple of meters away
from the valve.

http://www.surestop.co.uk/owners/ss-15-rpl/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG0hs2UOzUY

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2018 12:28, alan_m wrote:
On 30/05/2018 12:09, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
water solenoid valves

Does it have to be electrically operated?Â* Surestop have a valve
manually operated by differential water pressure.

The on/off switch on one model can be palced a couple of meters away
from the valve.

http://www.surestop.co.uk/owners/ss-15-rpl/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG0hs2UOzUY

I'm looking for a 240V solenoid which can be operated by the timer
circuit I made which allows a 10-minute burst of water to top up a pond
without supervision.

Michael
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
Does anyone know of a *decent* manufacturer of water solenoid valves,
preferably a source from which there could be some come-back in the
future, such that I can get an outdoor valve (240V, I don't care what
fittings it is, 3/4 BSP or whatever, as long as I can interface it to a
standard water Hep 25mm pipe by some means or other) which doesn't leak
exactly one year and two weeks after I buy it?

Yes, everything in this world is ****. I can spend £30 on Ebay from a UK
seller on a valve for the timing device for my pond top-up system, and
find that it lasts a year before I see drips coming out of the end of
the pipe...

It that the fault of the solenoid valve or a problem caused by lack of
frost protection?

Im sure the solenoids in my washing machine as as cheap as they come but
they seem to be very reliable, indoors.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
[...]

I've used washing machine inlet valves, single and double, for timed
irrigation for years without problems - and they have been reclaimed from
scrap washing machines at that.

Ideally they should be indoors, but I have used them out of doors in a
sealed plastic box. For safety out of doors I've fed them via a 12 volt
transformer, and then a similar transformer at the other end in reverse.
This means that the cable is carrying 12VAC, and then this is converted back
to a balanced, isolated, nominal 240VAC at the valve end in the sealed box.

Charles F

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2018 12:09, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
Does anyone know of a *decent* manufacturer of water solenoid valves,
preferably a source from which there could be some come-back in the
future, such that I can get an outdoor valve (240V, I don't care what
fittings it is, 3/4 BSP or whatever, as long as I can interface it to a
standard water Hep 25mm pipe by some means or other) which doesn't leak
exactly one year and two weeks after I buy it?

I purchased a brass body one about 4 years ago from a company that's
local to myself. http://www.solenoidvalvesuk.com/
Couple of e-mails to them with what I wanted it to do and they suggested
the one I have.

I wanted it to replace the badly designed cleaning system on a new pond
filter so it cleaned from mains water rather than pumping pond water to
waste every cleaning cycle. It must have done 10's of thousands of
operations over the years without hitch.
I was advised to put a diode across the terminals to stop collapsing
coil voltage spike returning to control panel.

Video of my mod. showing valve before/after is he
https://youtu.be/CTNuvTWrfis

Last year I modified the design to perfection by changing the worm drive
gear to a higher ratio and up-grading the 12v supply by a few amps so it
now does a full rotation in around 10 seconds rather than 90 seconds
thereby saving vast amounts of water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2018 13:29, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2018 12:30:10 +0100, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:

On 30/05/2018 12:28, alan_m wrote:
On 30/05/2018 12:09, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
water solenoid valves

Does it have to be electrically operated?Â* Surestop have a valve
manually operated by differential water pressure.

The on/off switch on one model can be palced a couple of meters away
from the valve.

http://www.surestop.co.uk/owners/ss-15-rpl/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG0hs2UOzUY

I'm looking for a 240V solenoid which can be operated by the timer
circuit I made which allows a 10-minute burst of water to top up a pond
without supervision.

Michael

Could you not solve the problem with a water butt, a pump and a timer ?

Or a standard ball-cock, float arrangement, as used by farmers
for animal water troughs out in the field ??
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2018 14:14, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

I purchased a brass body one about 4 years ago from a company that's
local to myself. http://www.solenoidvalvesuk.com/
Couple of e-mails to them with what I wanted it to do and they suggested
the one I have.

snip

I should add that the actual price I was given/paid was 20% off list
price which made it a bit easier on the wallet. I also bought 2 x
plastic bodied ones just incase. One is still fitted the the T-off you
can see in the vid. Was going to hook it up to an I/R bird/cat squirter
but it's still there but has survived the last 4 winters without
breaking/splitting but I wanted the brass one for the main job for
highest reliability/cycle count.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.bes.co.uk/directly-activ...yABEgLwPPD_BwE
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 30 May 2018 14:24:45 +0100, Andrew wrote:

[...]

could be a go-er ?

I'm not *that* au fait with commercial agriculture,

Dont need to be, just look at your toilet cistern.

but it sounds a starting place ?

Yep, and much better than adding a timed slug
of water because the evaporation rate varys quite
a bit with the season and with rainfall in spades.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2018 12:09, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
Does anyone know of a *decent* manufacturer of water solenoid valves,
preferably a source from which there could be some come-back in the
future, such that I can get an outdoor valve (240V, I don't care what
fittings it is, 3/4 BSP or whatever, as long as I can interface it to a
standard water Hep 25mm pipe by some means or other) which doesn't leak
exactly one year and two weeks after I buy it?

Yes, everything in this world is ****. I can spend £30 on Ebay from a UK
seller on a valve for the timing device for my pond top-up system, and
find that it lasts a year before I see drips coming out of the end of
the pipe...

The offending item was, I believe, a Klod valve, bought from a UK seller
(now vanished from Ebay) but I think made in Thailand?

Michael

In industrial applications, I have used ASCO before. They are not cheap
and I don't know what their standard ones are like - only having had
need of ones rated for flammable atmospheres!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
Does anyone know of a *decent* manufacturer of water solenoid valves,
preferably a source from which there could be some come-back in the
future, such that I can get an outdoor valve (240V, I don't care what
fittings it is, 3/4 BSP or whatever, as long as I can interface it to a
standard water Hep 25mm pipe by some means or other) which doesn't leak
exactly one year and two weeks after I buy it?

Yes, everything in this world is ****. I can spend £30 on Ebay from a UK
seller on a valve for the timing device for my pond top-up system, and
find that it lasts a year before I see drips coming out of the end of
the pipe...

The offending item was, I believe, a Klod valve, bought from a UK seller
(now vanished from Ebay) but I think made in Thailand?

Michael

Is it essential that it is mains and a solenoid valve?
The various timers for greenhouse and flower bed irrigation vary from
suspiciously cheap to Hoselock prices.
Rather than a solenoid they are motorised by a geared motor so they can
work of an AA battery etc.
My middle of the range one has done 5 years much to my surprise though I do
bring inside in Winter.
If you want to stick with mains and your own timer then a motorised valve
as used on central heating systems may suit you rather than a solenoid type
though you may have to DIY a method of making it suitable for outside use.

GH