Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl drill/chisel/scissor sharpener

I've just bought one of these and I'll be darned if I can follow the
supplied instructions for setting the drill bits up in the holder. If I
push it in to the setting guide far enough to touch the metal pin, it
seems to then be too close to the wheel when inserted for grinding - so
would take far too much off.

I have managed to sharpen a few bits, but by trial and error setting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I've just bought one of these and I'll be darned if I can follow the
supplied instructions for setting the drill bits up in the holder. If I
push it in to the setting guide far enough to touch the metal pin, it
seems to then be too close to the wheel when inserted for grinding - so
would take far too much off.

I have managed to sharpen a few bits, but by trial and error setting.

A drill sharpener that worked well for idiots would be one of my first
purchases. ;-)

I've got several here, and non work well on smaller drills. But then large
drills aren't too tricky to sharpen on a plain grind stone.

--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield has brought this to us :
I've just bought one of these and I'll be darned if I can follow the supplied
instructions for setting the drill bits up in the holder. If I push it in to
the setting guide far enough to touch the metal pin, it seems to then be too
close to the wheel when inserted for grinding - so would take far too much
off.

I have managed to sharpen a few bits, but by trial and error setting.

Its this one..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToN4LDtESp4
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) formulated on Monday :
A drill sharpener that worked well for idiots would be one of my first
purchases. ;-)

It seems to be almost idiot proof, apart from the setting up in the
clamp/ holder. It gets the basic angle about right, except sometimes it
seems to not get the angle right for the none cutting edge/ the
clearance angle.

I used to be able to make a pretty good job of grinding them by eye.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) formulated on Monday :
A drill sharpener that worked well for idiots would be one of my first
purchases. ;-)

It seems to be almost idiot proof, apart from the setting up in the
clamp/ holder. It gets the basic angle about right, except sometimes it
seems to not get the angle right for the none cutting edge/ the
clearance angle.

That sort of describes all of mine. ;-)

I used to be able to make a pretty good job of grinding them by eye.

Respect. Never been able to do small ones. I know they are cheap - but no
help when you've run out of sharp ones.

--
*I get enough exercise just pushing my luck.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 28 May 2018 16:27:56 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) formulated on Monday :
A drill sharpener that worked well for idiots would be one of my first
purchases. ;-)

It seems to be almost idiot proof, apart from the setting up in the
clamp/ holder. It gets the basic angle about right, except sometimes it
seems to not get the angle right for the none cutting edge/ the
clearance angle.

That sort of describes all of mine. ;-)

I used to be able to make a pretty good job of grinding them by eye.

Respect. Never been able to do small ones. I know they are cheap - but no
help when you've run out of sharp ones.

I don't see much point in those machines. They seem to be for people that have never taken 10 minutes to sit & stare intently at a drill bit & thereby understand how it's ground & why.

For bits you don't plan to use on steel, regrinding with different geometry gives way better performance. Your machine can't do that.

For very small bits that are too fiddly to grind right, the quick easy way is to put a spear point on them. In all but steel that works great in small sizes & is dead easy to do.

NT