Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dumb electronics question - aerial extension for wireless

I have a wireless battery powered camera on the back of my caravan.

The signal is not 100% and as far as I can tell it relies on reflections
to get from the back of the caravan to the front of the car (just guessing
why it sometimes drops out, behaviour strongly influenced by the angle of
the aerial and direction).

The aerial appears to be the standard type you get on WiFi equipment - it
will unscrew.

One option is to move the aerial upwards and/or forwards to provide a
clearer and shorter signal path For this I would need an extension lead.

https://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1679

seems to provide various lengths of extension.

I would need some king of base to fix the aerial to at the other end, but
before I delve into that, how do I work out if using such an extension
cable will improve the signal?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
I have a wireless battery powered camera on the back of my caravan.

The signal is not 100% and as far as I can tell it relies on reflections
to get from the back of the caravan to the front of the car (just guessing
why it sometimes drops out, behaviour strongly influenced by the angle of
the aerial and direction).

What frequency does the camera use?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Unfortunately you have told us very little about the equipment you
have.

For example if the receiver is a separate box, that connects to a TV
set, rather than built into a dedicated monitor, then it might make
sense to locate the receiver box towards the rear of the van and
extend the video (and audio if appropriate) cables to the TV.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
I have a wireless battery powered camera on the back of my caravan.

The signal is not 100% and as far as I can tell it relies on reflections
to get from the back of the caravan to the front of the car (just guessing
why it sometimes drops out, behaviour strongly influenced by the angle of
the aerial and direction).

The aerial appears to be the standard type you get on WiFi equipment - it
will unscrew.

One option is to move the aerial upwards and/or forwards to provide a
clearer and shorter signal path For this I would need an extension lead.

https://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1679

seems to provide various lengths of extension.

I would need some king of base to fix the aerial to at the other end, but
before I delve into that, how do I work out if using such an extension
cable will improve the signal?

Is there not a wired (i.e. Cat5 cable into RJ-45 socket) option on the
camera? If there is then I'd use that in preference to WiFi any day.

If WiFi is the only option then an extension cable *may* help but
they often lose almost as much signal as the different position gains.

Where is the 'other end'?

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 May 2018 19:22:48 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

David wrote:
[...]

The camera on the back of the caravan is in a sealed waterproof (I hope)
casing. On/off switch, charging point for the battery, and aerial on top.

The screen mounts over the driver's mirror top centre of the windscreen.
It is powered from a 12v socket.

The two units come as a pair, allegedly they have to be paired to work
together and this takes place during assembly.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 6:57:42 AM UTC+10, Bill Wright wrote:
On 23/05/2018 18:22, Theo wrote:
David wrote:
I have a wireless battery powered camera on the back of my caravan.

The signal is not 100% and as far as I can tell it relies on reflections
to get from the back of the caravan to the front of the car (just guessing
why it sometimes drops out, behaviour strongly influenced by the angle of
the aerial and direction).

What frequency does the camera use?

2.4GHz.

Bill

It might be due to interference from hoardes of devices on this frequency ranging from babay monitors to security cameras to MicroW ovens etc.,
I f one desires reliable camera feed only way is to go "wired"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

And where is the receiving aerial, which will probably be both a transmit
and receive one as most wifi is two direction.

One might have thought they could in some way piggy back a signal onto its
power leads to the battery circuit.
Still I guess its more flexible if its wireless in this regard, given all
the non standard standards about at the moment.
I'd have thought if the caravan is not metal, then if you could get the
aerial in the car outside at the back then it would work better.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Theo" wrote in message
David wrote:
I have a wireless battery powered camera on the back of my caravan.

The signal is not 100% and as far as I can tell it relies on reflections
to get from the back of the caravan to the front of the car (just
guessing
why it sometimes drops out, behaviour strongly influenced by the angle of
the aerial and direction).

What frequency does the camera use?

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

All constrained by the design.

Rear camera is completely self contained, including rechargeable battery.
Therefore I can't see using the internal battery leads as an aerial would
be more effective than an external aerial.

Screen at the front is self contained and sits over the rear view mirror,
but powered by a lead to a 12v socket. Possible to use that lead as an
aerial (I have no idea if they do) but there is no obvious external
aerial. I assume that it is internal in the way that mobile phones have
internal WiFi aerials. Or my latest compact camera, for that matter.

So no option to get the aerial out the back of the car as there is no
external aerial connection to the screen. This would also probably involve
some hackery to the car.

I suspect that the smoked windows on the car may also resist signals a bit
(can't remember where I read this).

Which is why I am asking for potential ways to improve the signal path.

The caravan is not metal, but there is an awful lot of stuff inside
including a complete rear wash room across the back. This is why I was
keen for a wireless solution because I don't fancy anyone trying to get
through the back wall of the caravan and through the washroom to run the
cables.

Almost brand new caravan and I don't want more holes in it than absolutely
necessary.

Cheers

Dave R

On Thu, 24 May 2018 09:30:24 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

And where is the receiving aerial, which will probably be both a
transmit and receive one as most wifi is two direction.

One might have thought they could in some way piggy back a signal onto
its power leads to the battery circuit.
Still I guess its more flexible if its wireless in this regard, given
all
the non standard standards about at the moment.
I'd have thought if the caravan is not metal, then if you could get the
aerial in the car outside at the back then it would work better.
Brian

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking David wrote :
Screen at the front is self contained and sits over the rear view mirror,
but powered by a lead to a 12v socket. Possible to use that lead as an
aerial (I have no idea if they do) but there is no obvious external
aerial.

Communication will probably one way. Camera only transmits the picture,
screen only receives the signal...

You might try stripping the screen from some small coax, then a few
turns of few turns of the core wire around the screen, the coax to
maybe the outside via a window or a sunroof, then remove the screen of
the coax for a few inches to form an antenna.

Something similar at the camera end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking David wrote :
Screen at the front is self contained and sits over the rear view mirror,
but powered by a lead to a 12v socket. Possible to use that lead as an
aerial (I have no idea if they do) but there is no obvious external
aerial.

Communication will probably one way. Camera only transmits the picture,
screen only receives the signal...

Not so if it's a WiFi connection using TCP/IP. There has to be a
'conversation' between the ends to establish communication.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 May 2018 10:47:09 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking David wrote :
Screen at the front is self contained and sits over the rear view
mirror,
but powered by a lead to a 12v socket. Possible to use that lead as
an aerial (I have no idea if they do) but there is no obvious
external aerial.

Communication will probably one way. Camera only transmits the picture,
screen only receives the signal...

Not so if it's a WiFi connection using TCP/IP. There has to be a
'conversation' between the ends to establish communication.

I doubt that it is using WiFi but I will use my phone as a scanner to
check.

If it was WiFi then a repeater might help. However I am assuming that it
is just broadcasting, but with some kinds of encryption to prevent
trampling over other signals or picking up other signals.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking David wrote :
Screen at the front is self contained and sits over the rear view
mirror,
but powered by a lead to a 12v socket. Possible to use that lead as
an aerial (I have no idea if they do) but there is no obvious
external aerial.

Communication will probably one way. Camera only transmits the picture,
screen only receives the signal...

Not so if it's a WiFi connection using TCP/IP. There has to be a
'conversation' between the ends to establish communication.

I doubt that it is using WiFi but I will use my phone as a scanner to
check.

If it was WiFi then a repeater might help. However I am assuming that it
is just broadcasting, but with some kinds of encryption to prevent
trampling over other signals or picking up other signals.

But what's at the other end? I don't think you've explained this yet
really. Is it just a dedicated camera and display system or is it a
'web camera' and a simple server to display?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Battery powered (self contained) camera at the back of the caravan.

Cigar socket powered screen which fits over the central rear view mirror
in the car.

Both self contained units.

I think some posters have been a little enthusiastic in their snippery.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

.... and does anything say how they're supposed to talk to each other?

I think some posters have been a little enthusiastic in their snippery.

Yes, probably.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Wireless, probably (almost certainly) 2.4 GHz (see Bill Wright's early
reply).

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
Cigar socket powered screen which fits over the central rear view
mirror in the car.

Both self contained units.

... and does anything say how they're supposed to talk to each other?

I think some posters have been a little enthusiastic in their snippery.

Yes, probably.

Wireless, probably (almost certainly) 2.4 GHz (see Bill Wright's early
reply).

Er, yes, it could hardly be anything else could it! There still has
to be some sort of protocol that both ends undertstand for 'wireless'
to actually do anything.

It could be WiFi (11b/g/n etc.), it could be Bluetooth, or it could be
something else but there must be some sort of set of rules it works by.

I'd expect the 'user manual' (or sheet of paper) to say what sort of
protocol is being used.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
[...]

Ah, bless. :-)

The sweet innocence of youth.........

Unfortunately, no.

Still haven't snooped, but assuming some kind of proprietary broadcast
protocol using security by obscurity.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
[...]

Security? What for?

Though I agree the 'user manual' may not be all that forthcoming,
that's why it's in quotes.

'Youth', the nicest thing anyone has said for years! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
[...]

The security is to pair the transmitter and receiver up and ignore other
broadcast sources (and also not to trample over other receivers, hopefully)

There are many tales of wireless rear view cameras which suddenly start
displaying the output of the number recognition cameras at petrol stations.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
Ah, bless. :-)

The sweet innocence of youth.........

Unfortunately, no.

Still haven't snooped, but assuming some kind of proprietary broadcast
protocol using security by obscurity.

Security? What for?

Though I agree the 'user manual' may not be all that forthcoming,
that's why it's in quotes.

'Youth', the nicest thing anyone has said for years! :-)

The security is to pair the transmitter and receiver up and ignore other
broadcast sources (and also not to trample over other receivers, hopefully)

Yes, so that's also the protocol being used, or at least is associated
with it. I.e. if I shout something in Hungarian to a crowded room
only those who understand Hungarian are likely to respond. It's
hardly what I'd call 'security', it's the protocol by which the two
ends are communicating.

There are many tales of wireless rear view cameras which suddenly start
displaying the output of the number recognition cameras at petrol stations.

Are there?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2018 14:38, Chris Green wrote:

Yes, so that's also the protocol being used, or at least is associated
with it. I.e. if I shout something in Hungarian to a crowded room
only those who understand Hungarian are likely to respond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6D1YI-41ao

Bill