Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Dumb electronics question - aerial extension for wireless

I have a wireless battery powered camera on the back of my caravan.

The signal is not 100% and as far as I can tell it relies on reflections
to get from the back of the caravan to the front of the car (just guessing
why it sometimes drops out, behaviour strongly influenced by the angle of
the aerial and direction).

The aerial appears to be the standard type you get on WiFi equipment - it
will unscrew.

One option is to move the aerial upwards and/or forwards to provide a
clearer and shorter signal path For this I would need an extension lead.

https://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1679

seems to provide various lengths of extension.

I would need some king of base to fix the aerial to at the other end, but
before I delve into that, how do I work out if using such an extension
cable will improve the signal?

Cheers

Dave R

---