Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV oddity

OK, its a now old Samsung analogue / digi plasma TV, but recently it
has developed an oddity...

Press Info and it shows the information for the previous program,
rather than the current one. It is always one behind. In the info panel
it shows the correct time.

So instead, I have to press Guide, which list all the channels with the
current channel and the current program properly highlighted, then
click Info - which comes up with the current program information. This
problem may have begun with the switch to BST.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 May 2018 22:20:50 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

OK, its a now old Samsung analogue / digi plasma TV, but recently it has
developed an oddity...

Got the same problem here. Switched on the telly at around 9.30 this
evening and saw two blokes snogging. Urgh!! It was on the BBC (obvs.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
OK, its a now old Samsung analogue / digi plasma TV, but recently it has developed an
oddity...

Press Info and it shows the information for the previous program, rather than the
current one. It is always one behind. In the info panel it shows the correct time.

So instead, I have to press Guide, which list all the channels with the current channel
and the current program properly highlighted, then click Info - which comes up with the
current program information. This problem may have begun with the switch to BST.

Count yourself lucky; more especially as its old.

It seems some people with smart Samsung TV's can't get any EPG
at all

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/TV-Home...te/td-p/905435

I've got a non-smart flat screen Samsung. And the only EPG
problem I sometimes get is if viewing one channel
at say 12.00, other channels on the EPG for 12.00
may show " No Information Available". The only solution
is to actually change to one of those channels and then
all the information for those channels will appear.

According to other posts on that thread the providers
of EPG information are independent of the manufacturers
and if they go out of business, owners of those sets
are stuck without any EPG information. Although I can't
believe there can be any truth in this - ie that those
manufacturers don't provide an alternative, unless the
EPG provision in question was limited to specific models.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 21/05/2018, michael adams supposed :
[...]

Thanks!

I don't think it would be what is called a smart TV, but as above, it
does often have weird characters showing in place of text in the EPG.

Two second and third, smaller digi only and less used Samsungs seem not
to suffer the delayed EPG issue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 May 2018 22:20:50 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

So instead, I have to press Guide, which list all the channels with the
current channel and the current program properly highlighted, then
click Info - which comes up with the current program information. This
problem may have begun with the switch to BST.

Tried a complete power down (unplug) and waiting a few minutes before
powering back up?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice has brought this to us :
Tried a complete power down (unplug) and waiting a few minutes before
powering back up?

No, but I will try that now...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield used his keyboard to write :
No, but I will try that now...

That appears to have worked, thanks for the suggestion..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/18 10:24, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Harry Bloomfield used his keyboard to write :
No, but I will try that now...

That appears to have worked, thanks for the suggestion..

Whata lot of peole do not know is that computer systems are built of
analogue electronics, and as chip sizes get smaller, so too do the
number of electrons needed to effect a bit change on RAM.

A short burst of cosmic rays will almost certainly flip a bit or too in
modern DRAM... as will a spark nearby (EMP).

From a study done...on ECC DRAM in supercompouters

"our data covers at least tens of millions of errors
over a combined period of nearly 300 Terabyte years. In addition to
correctable errors (CEs), we also observe a non-negligible rate of
€śnon-trivial€ť errors, which required more than simple SEC-DED
strategies for correction: 1.34% of the nodes in the BG/P system
saw at least one error that required chipkill to correct it."

https://www.cs.toronto.edu/~bianca/p...ASPLOS2012.pdf

I.e. it doesnt need a SOFTWARE bug, or indeed failing HARDWARE to make a
computer go weird.

Other issues that can do it are a certain data pattern on the bus at a
certain point in code execution. If the hardware is for whatever reason
(age, temperature, just made that way) 'edge of spec' that pattern can
push things over the edge.

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/18 10:24, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Harry Bloomfield used his keyboard to write :
No, but I will try that now...

That appears to have worked, thanks for the suggestion..

Firher to my last post, of course wiki does it much better than I can,
and gives a name to it

Soft errors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_error

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 May 2018 10:24:26 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

No, but I will try that now...

That appears to have worked, thanks for the suggestion..

Dear me, I'd have thought you'd have been around long enough to know
that a full power down reboot cures a significantly high number of
"wierdness" issues with almost any bit of kit.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice has brought this to us :
Dear me, I'd have thought you'd have been around long enough to know
that a full power down reboot cures a significantly high number of
"wierdness" issues with almost any bit of kit.

Yes, true, but I anticipated it being some other issue. I was thinking
too deeply :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2018 22:56, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 20 May 2018 22:20:50 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

OK, its a now old Samsung analogue / digi plasma TV, but recently it has
developed an oddity...

Got the same problem here. Switched on the telly at around 9.30 this
evening and saw two blokes snogging. Urgh!! It was on the BBC (obvs.)

Sounds like the Jeremy Thorpe programme (Hugh Grant and Ben Whishaw).
Apart from those bits, I thought it was pretty good, actually.

---

GU10 oddity Iain UK diy 21 February 22nd 13 12:41 PM
Internet oddity ... Jethro_uk[_2_] UK diy 12 November 19th 12 08:06 PM
Doorbell Oddity Charles Bishop[_2_] Home Repair 5 October 9th 08 06:36 AM
Antec Smartpower PSU mains wiring oddity Les Matthew Electronics Repair 7 March 10th 08 08:16 AM
switch wiring oddity Witchy UK diy 5 September 13th 04 11:12 PM