Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting shower valve in 3" stud wall

Hi all

Challenge of the day. I went to fit one of this in wall shower thermostats. Turns out the wall is only 3" stud and the valve is just under 3" deep. The valve body has 2 fixing holes to attach it with.

I tried bolting 2 "L" shaped brackets to the back and the screwed these onto the studs. It works but the valve body is not secure. It wobbles back and forth and left and right. I stuck some timber to the plasterboard behind the valve which stabilised it a bit but still it is not very stable.

I guess if I can cut the Hardie backker board with a tight fit around the valve (bit challenging) and mastic the front face to the wall it would be more stable but.... All seems a lot of "Ifs and buts" and would much rather get it stable now.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks Andy. How did you attach it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks Andy. The plastic shoe you mention, did that come with the valve?

Mine is similar to this but with one 2 holes either side of the body to attach it to

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2018 08:30, wrote:
Hi all

Challenge of the day. I went to fit one of this in wall shower
thermostats. Turns out the wall is only 3" stud and the valve is just
under 3" deep. The valve body has 2 fixing holes to attach it with.

I tried bolting 2 "L" shaped brackets to the back and the screwed
these onto the studs. It works but the valve body is not secure. It
wobbles back and forth and left and right. I stuck some timber to the
plasterboard behind the valve which stabilised it a bit but still it
is not very stable.

Normally I find that some ply "plates" of the appropriate thickness
(i.e. may need combinations / layers of different plys), stuck to the
inside of the plaster board at the back of the wall, then gives a solid
surface you can screw the valve to.

Plumbing it up in copper also helps make it more rigid.

I guess if I can cut the Hardie backker board with a tight fit around
the valve (bit challenging) and mastic the front face to the wall it
would be more stable but.... All seems a lot of "Ifs and buts" and
would much rather get it stable now.

Any ideas?

I did one recently with the ply backer, and found that was more than
solid enough without needing to worry about supporting it from the
front. (there was a chrome plate on mine that then sat over the tiles,
and which would be siliconed in place. Hence you get some extra support
from that if needed.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Whats on the other side of the stud wall? Can you put anything on the other side of the wall to Screw the valve into? I fitted a Grohe rapio T valve into a standard stud wall cavity but using 18mm ply on the other side of the plasterboard (which was conveniently in a built in wardrobe). Some photos here (but they dont show the other side of the shower mixer) https://photos.app.goo.gl/sA2NiuJJcfZZXbLq8

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unfortunately it is my daughter's bedroom and that bit of the wall is in full view ie not behind a wardrobe or anything