Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Fitting shower valve in 3" stud wall

Or a lot of araldite and hope you never need to get at it!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"GB" wrote in message
news
On 20/05/2018 08:30,
wrote:
Hi all

Challenge of the day. I went to fit one of this in wall shower
thermostats. Turns out the wall is only 3" stud and the valve is just
under 3" deep. The valve body has 2 fixing holes to attach it with.

I tried bolting 2 "L" shaped brackets to the back and the screwed these
onto the studs. It works but the valve body is not secure. It wobbles
back and forth and left and right. I stuck some timber to the
plasterboard behind the valve which stabilised it a bit but still it is
not very stable.

I guess if I can cut the Hardie backker board with a tight fit around the
valve (bit challenging) and mastic the front face to the wall it would be
more stable but.... All seems a lot of "Ifs and buts" and would much
rather get it stable now.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lee.