Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cracked ceramic floor

My daughter is moving to a flat that has a cracked ceramic kitchen floor.
She hopes to continue her new 'business' of making and hopefully selling
iced biscuits.

To do that she has to have local authority vetting. She believes without
some kind if treatment the floor would lose her current status of 5 on
Scores on Doors.

Is there any kind of treatment that might solve this problem?

--
Mageia 6 for x86_64, Kernel:4.14.30-desktop-3.mga6
KDE Plasma version 5.8.7 on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 14/05/2018 06:58, pinnerite wrote:
My daughter is moving to a flat that has a cracked ceramic kitchen floor.
She hopes to continue her new 'business' of making and hopefully selling
iced biscuits.

To do that she has to have local authority vetting. She believes without
some kind if treatment the floor would lose her current status of 5 on
Scores on Doors.

Is there any kind of treatment that might solve this problem?

Lay sheet vinyl on top. It won't look great, but it should be hygienic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 May 2018 06:58:44 UTC+1, pinnerite wrote:
My daughter is moving to a flat that has a cracked ceramic kitchen floor.
She hopes to continue her new 'business' of making and hopefully selling
iced biscuits.

To do that she has to have local authority vetting. She believes without
some kind if treatment the floor would lose her current status of 5 on
Scores on Doors.

Is there any kind of treatment that might solve this problem?

Tile cracks can be solved by any of:
cut the tile out & fit a new one. If you can't find a match use some sort of feature tile
epoxy in the crack
angle grind the crack & grout.

Which the authority accepts I've no clue.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 May 2018 11:26:28 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 14/05/2018 11:06, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 14 May 2018 06:58:44 UTC+1, pinnerite wrote:

My daughter is moving to a flat that has a cracked ceramic kitchen floor.
She hopes to continue her new 'business' of making and hopefully selling
iced biscuits.

To do that she has to have local authority vetting. She believes without
some kind if treatment the floor would lose her current status of 5 on
Scores on Doors.

Is there any kind of treatment that might solve this problem?

Tile cracks can be solved by any of:
cut the tile out & fit a new one. If you can't find a match use some sort of feature tile
epoxy in the crack
angle grind the crack & grout.

Which the authority accepts I've no clue.

NT

If it is easy to clean and there is no detectable ledge at the crack to
collect dirt I can't see why the LA would object. After all, they accept
grouting.

Of course. Now try applying that to BR, MOT or indeed any other such test and you'll realise what the problem is.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 May 2018 14:39:40 UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr writes:
On Monday, 14 May 2018 06:58:44 UTC+1, pinnerite wrote:

My daughter is moving to a flat that has a cracked ceramic kitchen floor.
She hopes to continue her new 'business' of making and hopefully selling
iced biscuits.

To do that she has to have local authority vetting. She believes without
some kind if treatment the floor would lose her current status of 5 on
Scores on Doors.

Is there any kind of treatment that might solve this problem?

Tile cracks can be solved by any of:
cut the tile out & fit a new one. If you can't find a match use some sort of feature tile
epoxy in the crack
angle grind the crack & grout.

Which the authority accepts I've no clue.

Is this one tile, or lots of them?
Against my better judgement, dad believed a tiler who said tiles
can be laid on floor boards with some special adhesive. They're
all cracked now. They don't move and are still stuck down, but
floor boards were not adequate support.

I prepared a floor for tiling for a friend more recently. I pulled
up the floorboards and laid an 18mm plywood floor in whole sheets.
I didn't do the tiling, but no tiles have cracked on that floor.

they will.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2018 06:58, pinnerite wrote:
My daughter is moving to a flat that has a cracked ceramic kitchen floor.
She hopes to continue her new 'business' of making and hopefully selling
iced biscuits.

To do that she has to have local authority vetting. She believes without
some kind if treatment the floor would lose her current status of 5 on
Scores on Doors.

Is there any kind of treatment that might solve this problem?

Before buying, I would want to know why the tiles had cracked. If
nothing else, it might be possible to negotiate a reduction in the price.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/05/2018 20:10, Michael Chare wrote:
On 14/05/2018 06:58, pinnerite wrote:
My daughter is moving to a flat that has a cracked ceramic kitchen floor.
She hopes to continue her new 'business' of making and hopefully selling
iced biscuits.

To do that she has to have local authority vetting. She believes without
some kind if treatment the floor would lose her current status of 5 on
Scores on Doors.

Is there any kind of treatment that might solve this problem?

Before buying, I would want to know why the tiles had cracked. If
nothing else, it might be possible to negotiate a reduction in the price.

I did not see any mention of the word buying in the OPs post.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 May 2018 20:26:02 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 14/05/2018 20:10, Michael Chare wrote:
On 14/05/2018 06:58, pinnerite wrote:
My daughter is moving to a flat that has a cracked ceramic kitchen
floor.
She hopes to continue her new 'business' of making and hopefully
selling iced biscuits.

To do that she has to have local authority vetting. She believes
without some kind if treatment the floor would lose her current status
of 5 on Scores on Doors.

Is there any kind of treatment that might solve this problem?

Before buying, I would want to know why the tiles had cracked. If
nothing else, it might be possible to negotiate a reduction in the
price.

I did not see any mention of the word buying in the OPs post.

The floor was laid in the 1980's.
The tiles not smooth faced.
The cracks appear to be in places where the former occupants dropped
heavy objects.
Replacement cost is too much.
If I could find something to seal the cracks after thorough scrubbing, it
would be a practical solution.

--
Mageia 6 for x86_64, Kernel:4.14.30-desktop-3.mga6
KDE Plasma version 5.8.7 on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/18 21:48, pinnerite wrote:
[...]

superglue?

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 May 2018 19:54:27 UTC+1, wrote:

I prepared a floor for tiling for a friend more recently. I pulled
up the floorboards and laid an 18mm plywood floor in whole sheets.
I didn't do the tiling, but no tiles have cracked on that floor.

they will.

I don't think it is as simple as that. I depends on the spacing of the joists under the floorboards and the length of the floorboards - i.e. how much deflection is there. Put a glass of water on the floor and jump up and down.. How much does the water (or glass) move?

I agree though that 18mm would be absolute minimum. If the additional height could be tolerated I'd be using 25mm ply (which I have done in a bathroom refit). Either way ideally overboard the ply with cement board (6mm) and then tile onto that ensuring full coverage of adhesive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/18 08:24, Kevin H wrote:
On Monday, 14 May 2018 19:54:27 UTC+1, wrote:

I prepared a floor for tiling for a friend more recently. I
pulled up the floorboards and laid an 18mm plywood floor in whole
sheets. I didn't do the tiling, but no tiles have cracked on that
floor.

they will.

They may not.

I had tiles over 18mm chip that cracked on a 3mm bed of quick set, I
replaced them with tiles on a 6mm bed of flexible. They haven't cracked

I don't think it is as simple as that. I depends on the spacing of
the joists under the floorboards and the length of the floorboards -
i.e. how much deflection is there. Put a glass of water on the floor
and jump up and down. How much does the water (or glass) move?

Yup.
On the other bathroom with a greater span I went to significant lengths
when building shower and bath enclosures to tie the floor to the wall to
lower flexu That also worked on a bigger depth of cement (the floor
was not level).

I agree though that 18mm would be absolute minimum.

The depth of the floor is less imporatant than what it rests on. 6x3
herringboned at 400 centers is pretty rigid.

If the additional
height could be tolerated I'd be using 25mm ply (which I have done in
a bathroom refit). Either way ideally overboard the ply with cement
board (6mm) and then tile onto that ensuring full coverage of
adhesive.

As I said, you are not thinking this through logically. What matters is
not te skin, but the structure on which it rests

Far better to double up joists and herringbone if the floor is bouncy
than use a one inch ply over

--
Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 15/05/18 08:24, Kevin H wrote:
[...]

+1
That doesn't happen often :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater Wrote in message:
In article , Andrew Gabriel
wrote:

In article ,
writes:
[...]

We just had our kitchen floor redone, floorboards taken up and extra
joists added or replaced where dodgy. Then 22mm T&G chipboard screwed
down, with the T&G bits glued. Amtico on top of that, job done, and its
flat and doesn't move.

Amtico is bits of flexible vinyl stuck down with glue... Not known
for cracking...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater Wrote in message:
In article , Jim K
wrote:

Tim Streater Wrote in message:
In article , Andrew Gabriel
wrote:

In article ,
writes:
[...]

With tiles it wouldn't have moved either. Thass the point.

Presumption.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 08:24:25 UTC+1, Kevin H wrote:
On Monday, 14 May 2018 19:54:27 UTC+1, wrote:

I prepared a floor for tiling for a friend more recently. I pulled
up the floorboards and laid an 18mm plywood floor in whole sheets.
I didn't do the tiling, but no tiles have cracked on that floor.

they will.

I don't think it is as simple as that. I depends on the spacing of the joists under the floorboards and the length of the floorboards - i.e. how much deflection is there. Put a glass of water on the floor and jump up and down. How much does the water (or glass) move?

I agree though that 18mm would be absolute minimum. If the additional height could be tolerated I'd be using 25mm ply (which I have done in a bathroom refit). Either way ideally overboard the ply with cement board (6mm) and then tile onto that ensuring full coverage of adhesive.

I can only say my experience so far. I've seen many jobs where the substrate wasn't hard as rock, and they all have failed sooner or later. Tiles simply have no tolerance for movement, no flexibility. On a cement floor they can last well over a century.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 May 2018 20:48:39 -0000 (UTC)
pinnerite wrote:

If I could find something to seal the cracks after thorough
scrubbing, it would be a practical solution.

Open the cracks out with a grinder and fill with grout?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pinnerite Wrote in message:
My daughter is moving to a flat that has a cracked ceramic kitchen floor.
She hopes to continue her new 'business' of making and hopefully selling
iced biscuits.

To do that she has to have local authority vetting. She believes without
some kind if treatment the floor would lose her current status of 5 on
Scores on Doors.

Ring up & ask?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No they won't.
I did similar 10 years ago. 2 layers of 12mm ply staggered, glued and screwed. Tiled and still good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 May 2018 20:48:39 +0000, pinnerite wrote:

[...]

It might help if you gave some idea of the budget available, and the
quotes that you have received. Also if the costs are for a complete floor
replacement or just individual tiles.

Another pertinent point raise is the ownership of the flat. If it is
rented then the landlord should be keeping it in good order (although
should also agree to a business being run from the premises). Modifying,
repairing, replacing flooring would also need the landlords agreement.

As GB has already suggested, why not just lay vinyl over the top? You
haven't said how big the kitchen is. You also haven't said how many tiles
over what area are cracked. You have also assumed that the damage is due
to things being dropped, not flexing of the substrate.

Nobody has mentioned floor paint yet; if this will adhere to tiles
(possibly with assistance) then this could be an option.

Finally, if the cracks are hair line and full of dirt, then they will have
to be opened out to remove the dirt before anything can be used to seal
them up again.

Cheers

Dave R

---