Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fisher & Paykel fridge parts/ repairs

Hi All,

My fridge has started tripping the RCD on the circuit. Disconnecting the defrost heater seems to fix the issue and the fridge continues to work. I am trying to source a replacement defrost heater element but no joy. Anyone know of somewhere to get one? Also, anyone know where in the fridge it is located and how to get to it?

thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks Andy. I went to their website and found the part but it was replaced by another . So I followed that one which similarly was replaced. Eventually got to the end and found one that was available but that was not for my fridge
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

My fridge has started tripping the RCD on the circuit. Disconnecting the
defrost heater seems to fix the issue and the fridge continues to work.
I am trying to source a replacement defrost heater element but no joy.
Anyone know of somewhere to get one?

Trivial here, but thats on the other side of the world to you.

Also, anyone know where in the fridge it is located

Where the ice builds up.

and how to get to it?

Normally by unscrewing the cover there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Thanks Andy. I went to their website and found the part but it was

replaced by another . So I followed that one which similarly was
replaced. Eventually got to the end and found one that was available but
that was not for my fridge

If it has replaced the right part it is possible it can be made to work,
unless it specifically says it can't be used in your fridge. It may
just be that the latest part wasn't intended for your fridge when the
description was first written.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Underneath usually, but as I said in the other thread, be sure its not just
water getting into a part of the wiring.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
Hi All,

My fridge has started tripping the RCD on the circuit. Disconnecting the
defrost heater seems to fix the issue and the fridge continues to work. I
am trying to source a replacement defrost heater element but no joy. Anyone
know of somewhere to get one? Also, anyone know where in the fridge it is
located and how to get to it?

thanks

Lee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 May 2018 17:39:23 UTC+1, wrote:
Thanks Andy. I went to their website and found the part but it was replaced by another . So I followed that one which similarly was replaced. Eventually got to the end and found one that was available but that was not for my fridge

Presumably F&P custard services told you which is suitable.
What do 3rd party sellers have?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The main wiring centres are dry and no sign of any issues. The wiring at the heater could well be the issue but need to get to it. I am still unable to find anything about my specific fridge but having seen a few videos of others I am hoping there is a removable panel behind the freezer drawer. Will check tonight.

In addition at the back of the fridge is a drip tray which catches the melted ice. This too seems to have an element looking thing in it. Not sure how to BV get at this one as the back is one big metal sheet with. Cut out at the bottom for the compressor and this tray.

Have emails FP customer service but no reply yet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi all,

So I stripped the fridge when I got home. Wasn't quite as difficult as I thought. Found the heater element and disconnected it from the supply. Putting a multimeter across the element I got 100ohms. I tried checking continuity between each of the 2 terminals and what looked like an earth connected to the cooling fins and nothing. So, suspecting it wasn't the heating element I powered the fridge on with the element disconnected and it worked as before. So.... Conclusion seems to be the heater element is duff but... I was expecting a full short on the element or a connection to earth.

Does my testing prove it is the heater element? Have I missed something?

Thanks again for your help

Lee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 May 2018 19:52:38 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi all,

So I stripped the fridge when I got home. Wasn't quite as difficult as I thought. Found the heater element and disconnected it from the supply. Putting a multimeter across the element I got 100ohms. I tried checking continuity between each of the 2 terminals and what looked like an earth connected to the cooling fins and nothing. So, suspecting it wasn't the heating element I powered the fridge on with the element disconnected and it worked as before. So.... Conclusion seems to be the heater element is duff but... I was expecting a full short on the element or a connection to earth.

Does my testing prove it is the heater element? Have I missed something?

Thanks again for your help

Lee.

Nothing is proven really. It could be that mains voltage is needed for the heater insulation to conduct, it could be that it's now dried out and no longer faulty, or there might be an intermittent fault elsewhere.

I'd look to test the heater at mains v or above. It might be fine - either way you should then know.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

So I stripped the fridge when I got home. Wasn't quite as difficult as I
thought.
Found the heater element and disconnected it from the supply. Putting a
multimeter across the element I got 100ohms. I tried checking continuity
between each of the 2 terminals and what looked like an earth connected
to the cooling fins and nothing. So, suspecting it wasn't the heating
element
I powered the fridge on with the element disconnected and it worked as
before.
So.... Conclusion seems to be the heater element is duff but... I was
expecting a
full short on the element

That wouldnt trip the RCD.

or a connection to earth.

Does my testing prove it is the heater element?

Not if its an intermittent fault with the heating
element or what you think is the earth isnt.

Have I missed something?

See above.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The fault is regular in that you switch the fridge on it starts and then trips the RCD. Almost like it starts powering the various elements and after a couple of seconds activates the heating element and then trips.