Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Broken cold inlet pipe from hot water tank bottom ... Is it mendable? How ?

Broken cold inlet pipe from hot water tank bottom ...

Photo at: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

I did have two spanners when undoing the pipe but i must have done it wrong...

Is it mendable ? How ?

If the fitting is brass and the tank copper how are they joined?

Got visitors coming on Saturday...

george
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles wrote:

Photo at:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

FB says I can't look ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles wrote:
Broken cold inlet pipe from hot water tank bottom ...

Photo at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

I did have two spanners when undoing the pipe but i must have done it
wrong...

Is it mendable ? How ?

If the fitting is brass and the tank copper how are they joined?

Got visitors coming on Saturday...

george

Some people, believe it or not do not do Facebook. I know that this is
difficult for you to comprehend.
Try posting the pic using something else and you just might get help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2018 20:22, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
George Miles wrote:
Broken cold inlet pipe from hot water tank bottom ...

Photo at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

I did have two spanners when undoing the pipe but i must have done it
wrong...

Is it mendable ? How ?

If the fitting is brass and the tank copper how are they joined?

Got visitors coming on Saturday...

george

Some people, believe it or not do not do Facebook. I know that this is
difficult for you to comprehend.
Try posting the pic using something else and you just might get help.

I do facebook but I'm not allowed to see the picture. I expect that it's
only been posted to linked friends.

"The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be visible
to an audience that you aren't in."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2018 20:31, alan_m wrote:

"The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be visible
to an audience that you aren't in."

I got a message, "The link you followed may have expired, or it could be
that we just don't like the look of you."

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2018 20:47, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/05/2018 20:31, alan_m wrote:

"The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be
visible to an audience that you aren't in."

I got a message, "The link you followed may have expired, or it could be
that we just don't like the look of you."

Bill

Unless you have opted out Facebook automatically turns on your laptop
camera for face recognition purposes when visiting their web pages

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.dropbox.com/s/il06teao26...95540.jpg?dl=0
is a dropbox link to the photo if that works..

[george]

ps i thought my facebook was open to everyone...

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 8:04:41 PM UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
Broken cold inlet pipe from hot water tank bottom ...

Photo at: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

I did have two spanners when undoing the pipe but i must have done it wrong...

Is it mendable ? How ?

If the fitting is brass and the tank copper how are they joined?

Got visitors coming on Saturday...

george

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
George Miles wrote:

Photo at:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

FB says I can't look ...

Facebook used to have an option on a photo to "get a link"
(which worked outside Facebook), but I just noticed that's
not there anymore.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have found some old water pipe which just fits inside the broken pipe, what if I cut off 6 inches off it, smear it with araldite, and hammer it in?

Or PTFE tape? (its not threaded)

Or Fernox Jointing compound which I have a small tin of?

george

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 8:04:41 PM UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
Broken cold inlet pipe from hot water tank bottom ...

Photo at: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

I did have two spanners when undoing the pipe but i must have done it wrong...

Is it mendable ? How ?

If the fitting is brass and the tank copper how are they joined?

Got visitors coming on Saturday...

george

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles wrote:

I have found some old water pipe which just fits inside the broken
pipe, what if I cut off 6 inches off it, smear it with araldite, and
hammer it in?

dropbox worked.

that tank doesn't look like it owes anyone anything, if you bodge a
repair it's just going to be waiting to let go ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Andy Burns wrote :
dropbox worked.

that tank doesn't look like it owes anyone anything, if you bodge a repair
it's just going to be waiting to let go ...

I agree! None of those OP suggested fixes will work, the tank will be
under some pressure at that point.

The only fix with even a slim chance of success is to remove that boss
completely and solder in a replacement. That will involve removal of
the tank and undoing the other unions - that itself will involves the
risk of the other bosses failing. As Andy said, it owes you nothing,
get a new tank fitted.

It looks as if it was leaking from behind the boss anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2018 21:04, George Miles wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/il06teao26...95540.jpg?dl=0
is a dropbox link to the photo if that works..

My guess....

Do you still have two fittings left in the tank?
The tank comes with a threaded hole into which a fitting has been
screwed, This fitting has itself an internal screw tread into which a
fitting (a parallel pipe) with an outside screw thread has been inserted.
Originally this this second fitting would only have been screwed in half
way leaving a stub with an outside thread standing proud. The bit in
the floor will have screwed on to this. Has the fitting on the floor got
and inside thread? If so the second fitting has been screwed completely
into the first fitting either mainly during the first installation
and/or further during disassembly.

The fitting still in the tank should unscrew but may require the
application of a lot of heat to get it to budge. Also if the tank is
thin filling it again with water before applying a lot of force, such as
hitting the spanner with a lump hammer to shock it off, will help stop
it buckling and/or tearing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield writes:
After serious thinking Andy Burns wrote :
dropbox worked.

that tank doesn't look like it owes anyone anything, if you bodge a repair
it's just going to be waiting to let go ...

I agree! None of those OP suggested fixes will work, the tank will be
under some pressure at that point.

The only fix with even a slim chance of success is to remove that boss
completely and solder in a replacement. That will involve removal of
the tank and undoing the other unions - that itself will involves the
risk of the other bosses failing. As Andy said, it owes you nothing,
get a new tank fitted.

It looks as if it was leaking from behind the boss anyway.

It's an old tank (no insulation), so the copper is probably
quite thick. It will have a significant scrap value when
you replace it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles wrote

https://www.dropbox.com/s/il06teao26...95540.jpg?dl=0

Bloody hell. You must have put a hell of a lot of force on that to break
that off.

Only really viable approach is a new tank now IMO, particularly with the
visitors tomorrow.

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 8:04:41 PM UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
Broken cold inlet pipe from hot water tank bottom ...

Photo at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

I did have two spanners when undoing the pipe but i must have done it
wrong...

Is it mendable ? How ?

If the fitting is brass and the tank copper how are they joined?

Got visitors coming on Saturday...

george

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles wrote

I have found some old water pipe which just fits inside the broken pipe,
what if I cut off 6 inches off it, smear it with araldite, and hammer it
in?

Real risk of ****ing the tank when you hammer it in IMO.

Or PTFE tape? (its not threaded)

Unlikely to survive it being hammered in.

Or Fernox Jointing compound which I have a small tin of?

Unlikely to survive screwing the pipe back on to stub and
even if you can manage that, the next person who takes
the pipe off may well end up pulling it out again.

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 8:04:41 PM UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
Broken cold inlet pipe from hot water tank bottom ...

Photo at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

I did have two spanners when undoing the pipe but i must have done it
wrong...

Is it mendable ? How ?

If the fitting is brass and the tank copper how are they joined?

Got visitors coming on Saturday...

george

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 May 2018 21:26:44 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 8:04:41 PM UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
Broken cold inlet pipe from hot water tank bottom ...

Photo at: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

I did have two spanners when undoing the pipe but i must have done it wrong...

Is it mendable ? How ?

If the fitting is brass and the tank copper how are they joined?

Got visitors coming on Saturday...

george

I have found some old water pipe which just fits inside the broken pipe, what if I cut off 6 inches off it, smear it with araldite, and hammer it in?

Or PTFE tape? (its not threaded)

Or Fernox Jointing compound which I have a small tin of?

george

yes, but clean up the metal surfaces well first, and get a good amount of length in there, 3 or 4" if poss.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 May 2018 22:55:39 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
[...]

ooh, I overlooked 'hammer' - don't!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/il06teao26...95540.jpg?dl=0
is a dropbox link to the photo if that works..

[george]

ps i thought my facebook was open to everyone...

That looks like a right bloody mess. Wallet slimming time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 May 2018 21:02:27 +0100
alan_m wrote:

On 10/05/2018 20:47, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/05/2018 20:31, alan_m wrote:

"The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be
visible to an audience that you aren't in."

I got a message, "The link you followed may have expired, or it
could be that we just don't like the look of you."

Bill

Unless you have opted out Facebook automatically turns on your laptop
camera for face recognition purposes when visiting their web pages

That's why I have a dark circular sticker over my laptop's camera.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

On 10/05/2018 20:47, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/05/2018 20:31, alan_m wrote:

"The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be
visible to an audience that you aren't in."

I got a message, "The link you followed may have expired, or it
could be that we just don't like the look of you."

Bill

Unless you have opted out Facebook automatically turns on your laptop
camera for face recognition purposes when visiting their web pages

That's why I have a dark circular sticker over my laptop's camera.

Or you can just opt out...

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

On 10/05/2018 20:47, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/05/2018 20:31, alan_m wrote:

"The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only
be visible to an audience that you aren't in."

I got a message, "The link you followed may have expired, or it
could be that we just don't like the look of you."

Bill

Unless you have opted out Facebook automatically turns on your
laptop camera for face recognition purposes when visiting their
web pages

That's why I have a dark circular sticker over my laptop's camera.

Or you can just opt out...

Tim

I prefer something physical, that I can see is in place.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 May 2018 13:26:41 -0700 (PDT), George Miles
wrote:

I have found some old water pipe which just fits inside the broken pipe, what if I cut off 6 inches off it, smear it with araldite, and hammer it in?

Or PTFE tape? (its not threaded)

Or Fernox Jointing compound which I have a small tin of?

Anything you do is going to involve removing the tank. The chances of
a successful repair are low and the consequences of subsequent
catastrophic failure (tank rapidly emptying contents over floor) are
high. Given that the greatest effort is removing and refitting the
tank I'd go for a replacement rather than attempting a repair with a
poor chance of success.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

On 10/05/2018 20:47, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/05/2018 20:31, alan_m wrote:

"The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be
visible to an audience that you aren't in."

I got a message, "The link you followed may have expired, or it
could be that we just don't like the look of you."

Bill

Unless you have opted out Facebook automatically turns on your laptop
camera for face recognition purposes when visiting their web pages

That's why I have a dark circular sticker over my laptop's camera.

Or you can just opt out...

Tim

Mandy Rice-Davis.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Parry
scribeth thus
wrote:

I have found some old water pipe which just fits inside the broken pipe, what

if I cut off 6 inches off it, smear it with araldite, and hammer it in?

Or PTFE tape? (its not threaded)

Or Fernox Jointing compound which I have a small tin of?

Anything you do is going to involve removing the tank. The chances of
a successful repair are low and the consequences of subsequent
catastrophic failure (tank rapidly emptying contents over floor) are
high. Given that the greatest effort is removing and refitting the
tank I'd go for a replacement rather than attempting a repair with a
poor chance of success.

Just replace the damm thing if you haven't already, a few connections to
do it'll be better insulated and I expect the existing one is full of
calcium based crap in the bottom as they tend to do after many years of
use..

no brainier really!....

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nobody can. Bloody huge link and an explanation might have been good.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
George Miles wrote:

Photo
at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

FB says I can't look ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No they need to use Dropbox like most others do, but its unimportant for me
as I can't see pictures.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
George Miles wrote:

Photo
at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

FB says I can't look ...

Facebook used to have an option on a photo to "get a link"
(which worked outside Facebook), but I just noticed that's
not there anymore.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are you sure you want a flood?

From what I've heard so far, this tank is going to heat and cool. Not a good
idea I'd suggest. is the input from a tank in the loft or from mains. If its
low pressure you could keep an eye on it and replace the tank after the
visitation, but if you are unlucky I'd think it might be a bit of a mess.
Obviously I cannot see the picture myself, but if you are saying that the
screw in option mentioned earlier is not possible and its broken very close
then a new tank is surely the best plan. I had a leaky tank some while back
and although it could have had the seam soldered, it was not what was
advised so a new tank went in.

Brian

--
----- -
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Have you read the most recent terms and conditions.

I'm selective about what I post on there.

I'd not go near facebook at the moment if they were the last messaging
system in town.

More fool you. It is by far the best place to buy and sell
used stuff, leaves Craig's List and freecycle etc for dead.

"George Miles" wrote in message
https://www.dropbox.com/s/il06teao26...95540.jpg?dl=0
is a dropbox link to the photo if that works..

[george]

ps i thought my facebook was open to everyone...

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 8:04:41 PM UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
Broken cold inlet pipe from hot water tank bottom ...

Photo at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

I did have two spanners when undoing the pipe but i must have done it
wrong...

Is it mendable ? How ?

If the fitting is brass and the tank copper how are they joined?

Got visitors coming on Saturday...

george

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
George Miles wrote:
Broken cold inlet pipe from hot water tank bottom ...

Photo at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6809881&type=3

Sorry this link is not available right now.

Why don't you just post pic using imgur or something that works?