Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lighting wiring centres

I could do with having a tidy up of the lighting circuit in the garage,
which includes several internal and external lights and corresponding
switches, drivers and PIRs.

I thought about those pre-wired units, SF and TS seem to sell 'Surewire'
but they don't seem very generic, only covering specific scenarios e.g.
mains in, mains out, a single switch and several downlighters

I'd like something more general that can handle mains in + out, five
lights with six switches (some two-way)

Does anyone make such a beast, or should I just re-purpose a central
heating wiring centre?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2018 13:57, Andy Burns wrote:
I could do with having a tidy up of the lighting circuit in the garage,
which includes several internal and external lights and corresponding
switches, drivers and PIRs.

I thought about those pre-wired units, SF and TS seem to sell 'Surewire'
but they don't seem very generic, only covering specific scenarios e.g.
mains in, mains out, a single switch and several downlighters

I'd like something more general that can handle mains in + out, five
lights with six switches (some two-way)

Does anyone make such a beast, or should I just re-purpose a central
heating wiring centre?

Grid switches in a suitable box?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Does anyone make such a beast, or should I just re-purpose a central
heating wiring centre?

Grid switches in a suitable box?

The switches aren't all in one place, this is just the "centre of mass"
of the wiring. At the moment its 9 cables stuffed into three wagoboxes
with 3x5way, 4x3way and 3x2way wagos, I could try the DIN carriers for
the wagos in a suitable box I suppose, I could also mount the three LED
drivers in there too, but at that size the boxes seem to get industrial
and expensive ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/18 13:57, Andy Burns wrote:
I could do with having a tidy up of the lighting circuit in the garage,
which includes several internal and external lights and corresponding
switches, drivers and PIRs.

I thought about those pre-wired units, SF and TS seem to sell 'Surewire'
but they don't seem very generic, only covering specific scenarios e.g.
mains in, mains out, a single switch and several downlighters

I'd like something more general that can handle mains in + out, five
lights with six switches (some two-way)

Does anyone make such a beast, or should I just re-purpose a central
heating wiring centre?

DIN rail box and WAGO DIN terminals - I did this for both lighting at
heating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

DIN rail box and WAGO DIN terminals - I did this for both lighting at
heating.

Do they maker terminals which are n-way commoning blocks, or do you have
to make lots of 'U links' like you would with chocblocks?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2018 15:32, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

DIN rail box and WAGO DIN terminals - I did this for both lighting at
heating.

Do they maker terminals which are n-way commoning blocks, or do you have
to make lots of 'U links' like you would with chocblocks?

You can buy connecting comb to interconnect multiple terminals. I don't
know what Wago have, but Klippon (Weidmuller) used to do a comb that you
could break individual teeth off, so you could connect, say, every third
terminal.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2018 15:32, Andy Burns wrote:

Do they maker terminals which are n-way commoning blocks, or do you have
to make lots of 'U links' like you would with chocblocks?

All the contacts an a Wago connector are commoned, So for you can join n
conductors together in a n way Wago connector.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:

All the contacts an a Wago connector are commoned, So for you can join n
conductors together in a n way Wago connector.

I know that 'standalone' wagos like the 222- series are commoned, but I
Tim was talking about a different series for DIN mounting (2001- Topjob
perhaps?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/18 15:32, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

DIN rail box and WAGO DIN terminals - I did this for both lighting at
heating.

Do they maker terminals which are n-way commoning blocks, or do you have
to make lots of 'U links' like you would with chocblocks?

Wago do commoning bars (6 way max IIRC but can be cut down of bought in
smaller ways).

Those do not consume any cable ways so common for "free".

You can break off odd pins so you can common every 2nd or 3rd block.

The earth blocks common via the rail.

IME if you stick your neutrals together and common, earths via rail,
nothing else needs commoning and the 3 way blocks can manage most
configurations.

My advice is to go up a level to the 2002 series as the smaller ones
feel (to me) rather flimsy. 2002 are pretty solid and as they will take
upto 2.5mm2 cable are a good range to standardise on.

Couple of end blocks hold the assembly solid too.

IIRC I used these:

https://www.connexbox.com/shop/wagob...enclosure.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/18 20:50, Andy Burns wrote:
Mike Clarke wrote:

All the contacts an a Wago connector are commoned, So for you can join n
conductors together in a n way Wago connector.

I know that 'standalone' wagos like the 222- series are commoned, but I
Tim was talking about a different series for DIN mounting (2001- Topjob
perhaps?)

Yes - another way is to use a random enclosure (even a double backbox
and blacking plate) and a bunch of free terminals. Quite common and
suits some applications.

I like DIN if it's a big and complicated wiring centre, just as it
allows a clean and more easily documented layout - but if it's a few
conductors, lever Wagos in regular box or Wiska box works well too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Yes - another way is to use a random enclosure (even a double backbox
and blacking plate) and a bunch of free terminals. Quite common and
suits some applications.

Yes, I've got a rats nest of wagos in an adaptable box in the shed, but
would like something neater in the garage ... and maybe the shed too ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

IIRC I used these:

https://www.connexbox.com/shop/wagob...enclosure.html

Yes, I found this earlier

https://www.connexbox.com/shop/wagobox-and-din-rail-enclosures/heating-controllwiring-centre.html

8xL, 8xN, 8xE, plus ten 4 way strips of which I'd probably only need
six, looks like it might be ok, wondering if it can handle 9 T&E cables
though ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

https://www.connexbox.com/shop/wagob...enclosure.html

That looks more like it, plenty of knockouts for cables and probably
room to mount the LED drivers inside too ... thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Mike Clarke wrote:

All the contacts an a Wago connector are commoned, So for you can join n
conductors together in a n way Wago connector.

I know that 'standalone' wagos like the 222- series are commoned, but I
Tim was talking about a different series for DIN mounting (2001- Topjob
perhaps?)

You can get DIN mounts for the 222 series.

--
Chris Green
·

Dulux Decorator Centres - 25% off Fri 15th /Sat 16th DavidM UK diy 0 April 14th 11 06:21 PM
Wiring centres/junction boxes Peter B UK diy 11 December 21st 10 05:32 PM
Stax Trade Centres Slider UK diy 1 March 31st 09 04:05 PM
Ceiling Fixed At Wrong Centres . Stuart UK diy 9 March 6th 06 10:13 PM
New Ceiling Joists - 400 or 600mm centres? Pecanfan UK diy 8 May 19th 05 03:41 AM