Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What glue for mower seat cover to frame?

I need to re-glue the cover of our ride-on mower's seat to its metal
frame. The cover is fairly standard cloth backed PVC (or similar) and
it has to be pulled tight over the cushion to even reach the
frame.

What sort of glue would work? Some sort of contact adhesive suggests
itself at first but will that cope with the continuous sideways pull
on the joint? What else might be better?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A new cover made from some new pvc, this will be bigger and some way to pull
it tight while its glued will then be available. Alternatively, secure some
wooden battens under the seat and those to trap the new material. I have
seen the issue on some of the councils mowers, and most seem to now merely
have a kind of thick bag over the padded seat secured below it. I suspect
its a common problem!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Chris Green" wrote in message
I need to re-glue the cover of our ride-on mower's seat to its metal
frame. The cover is fairly standard cloth backed PVC (or similar) and
it has to be pulled tight over the cushion to even reach the
frame.

What sort of glue would work? Some sort of contact adhesive suggests
itself at first but will that cope with the continuous sideways pull
on the joint? What else might be better?

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
A new cover made from some new pvc, this will be bigger and some way to pull
it tight while its glued will then be available. Alternatively, secure some

Not really possible as the cover is concave if you see what I mean. I
guess there's something holding the middle down somehow or maybe the
whole thing is sort of moulded to aboout the right shape.

wooden battens under the seat and those to trap the new material. I have
seen the issue on some of the councils mowers, and most seem to now merely
have a kind of thick bag over the padded seat secured below it. I suspect
its a common problem!

It is an old mower, though being a Kubota is still mowing away quite
happily. It's actually still OK to sit on, it just offends my
sensibilities! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Green
writes
Brian Gaff wrote:
A new cover made from some new pvc, this will be bigger and some way to pull
it tight while its glued will then be available. Alternatively, secure some

Not really possible as the cover is concave if you see what I mean. I
guess there's something holding the middle down somehow or maybe the
whole thing is sort of moulded to aboout the right shape.

wooden battens under the seat and those to trap the new material. I have
seen the issue on some of the councils mowers, and most seem to now merely
have a kind of thick bag over the padded seat secured below it. I suspect
its a common problem!

It is an old mower, though being a Kubota is still mowing away quite
happily. It's actually still OK to sit on, it just offends my
sensibilities! :-)

I have seen replacement agricultural tractor seats offered through the
trade press. Not hugely expensive for popular models. There may be
something out there for mowers:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2018 12:31, Chris Green wrote:
I need to re-glue the cover of our ride-on mower's seat to its metal
frame. The cover is fairly standard cloth backed PVC (or similar) and
it has to be pulled tight over the cushion to even reach the
frame.

What sort of glue would work? Some sort of contact adhesive suggests
itself at first but will that cope with the continuous sideways pull
on the joint? What else might be better?

Shoe Goo, but it may also need some help from mechanical crimps or similar

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 6 May 2018 16:03:04 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

A new cover made from some new pvc, this will be bigger and some way to pull
it tight while its glued will then be available. Alternatively, secure some

Not really possible as the cover is concave if you see what I mean. I
guess there's something holding the middle down somehow or maybe the
whole thing is sort of moulded to aboout the right shape.

wooden battens under the seat and those to trap the new material. I have
seen the issue on some of the councils mowers, and most seem to now merely
have a kind of thick bag over the padded seat secured below it. I suspect
its a common problem!

It is an old mower, though being a Kubota is still mowing away quite
happily. It's actually still OK to sit on, it just offends my
sensibilities! :-)

You might have to just stop being sensible.
I expect you could sew a new cover that slots on & extends under the seat for easy retention.

NT