Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Strange connection on sink bottle trap

We have a small washbasin in the downstairs loo which has a bottle rather
than U or P trap. It has strange connection on the downstream side of the
trap: https://s9.postimg.cc/i655dw0kv/bottle-trap.jpg - it's got a
half-round connection into the outlet pipe of the trap, with a threaded
connection (smaller than standard 1.25") which is covered with a blanking
plate.

I'm intrigued what it is intended for. My first thought was that it was for
an overflow to be connected if the basin did not have its own internal
overflow connection that joins the normal output just below the plughole.
But since the connection is on the downstream (smelly) side of the trap, any
sewer gases would vent through an overflow (or anything else) connected to
it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 6 May 2018 00:12:48 UTC+1, NY wrote:
We have a small washbasin in the downstairs loo which has a bottle rather
than U or P trap. It has strange connection on the downstream side of the
trap: https://s9.postimg.cc/i655dw0kv/bottle-trap.jpg - it's got a
half-round connection into the outlet pipe of the trap, with a threaded
connection (smaller than standard 1.25") which is covered with a blanking
plate.

It's not a connection. It's an anti-syphon trap. Underneath is a small one-way air inlet valve. The cap on the top is simply for cleaning it out if necessary.

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/sites/d...yphon-main.png

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/traps/b...on-bottle-trap

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

wrote in message
On Sunday, 6 May 2018 00:12:48 UTC+1, NY wrote:
We have a small washbasin in the downstairs loo which has a bottle rather
than U or P trap. It has strange connection on the downstream side of the
trap: https://s9.postimg.cc/i655dw0kv/bottle-trap.jpg - it's got a
half-round connection into the outlet pipe of the trap, with a threaded
connection (smaller than standard 1.25") which is covered with a blanking
plate.

It's not a connection. It's an anti-syphon trap. Underneath is a small
one-way air inlet valve. The cap on the top is simply for cleaning it out
if necessary.

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/sites/d...yphon-main.png

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/traps/b...on-bottle-trap

Thank you. I looked up bottle traps on Wikipedia and various plumbing sites,
and didn't see any reference to that sort of anti-syphon valve.

I know about the problem of syphoning and also of a build-up of *positive*
pressure downstream: the bathroom washbasin and bath (which have been in
this configuration for about 20 years) started interacting recently, so
letting water out of (for example) washbasin would blow the water out of the
bath U trap and also start to fill the bath since its plughole was lower.
Both would begin to drain quickly then after a minute or so the flow would
reduce to almost zero. We'd assumed that it was a blockage downstream of the
bathroom, but it turned out to be air pressure building up in the pipe,
which was solved by inserting an upward vent to the atmosphere (like a
smaller version of the vent pipe on a toilet soil pipe).

The plumber wanted to drain the bath into the soil pipe rather than the
communal rainwater soakaway for the village, until I asked whether it was a
good idea to drain *large* amounts of water into a septic tank, and that
maybe this was why the bathwater (and kitchen sink) drain into the soakaway.
Having improved the flow of bath water through the pipe, it now eventually
builds up in the underground soakaway pipe (probably a wide earthenware
pipe) but it only trickles out of the hopper and can drain through gravel
into the earth by the house - it's not so bad that it flows onto the paving
stones, so it probably can't *quite* cope with the peak flow,

I presume a *good* soakaway (which ours evidently isn't!) is normal practice
for bath/kitchen "grey water" if a house has a septic tank, to limit the
septic tank to just toilet waste.