Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tap access puzzle

Tried to get to a 1/4 turn tap cartridge today to measure up for a
replacement valve. It's a monobloc style chrome basin tap,
nothing expensive.

I expected that after removing the cap in the middle of the
handle I would see a cross head screw. Undoing that would release
the handle from the top of the valve, the chrome shroud would
come off, revealing the valve, to unscrew & measure....

Mmm.
Removing the cap revealed no screw head? There was what could have
been the very end of a small bolt showing in the centre of the
newly revealed chrome handle body, but no obvious way to proceed?
I even unscrewed 2 of the 4 cross bars on the handle but no grub
screws or anything likely were revealed. The other two bars were
rather reluctant to move so that was that for then.

Anyone seen this type of thing before?
Any pointers welcome!
TIA
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/2018 21:07, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Any chance of a picture?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m Wrote in message:
On 03/05/2018 21:07, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Of what?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Wrote in message:
On 03/05/18 22:47, Jim K wrote:
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 03/05/2018 21:07, Jim K wrote:
[...]

How about a smartarse?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
Richard Wrote in message:
On 03/05/18 22:47, Jim K wrote:
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 03/05/2018 21:07, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Um, youre the one with the weird tap with no head screw. How about a
picture of what IS under the centre cap?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2018 07:59, Tim+ wrote:

Um, youre the one with the weird tap with no head screw. How about a
picture of what IS under the centre cap?

Or even a picture of the whole assembly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2018 07:59, Tim+ wrote:

Um, you?re the one with the weird tap with no head screw. How about a
picture of what IS under the centre cap?

Or even a picture of the whole assembly

Mmm multiple answers - good job I clarified ;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/18 07:28, Jim K wrote:
Richard Wrote in message:
On 03/05/18 22:47, Jim K wrote:
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 03/05/2018 21:07, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Feel free to post selfies if you wish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Wrote in message:
On 04/05/18 07:28, Jim K wrote:
Richard Wrote in message:
On 03/05/18 22:47, Jim K wrote:
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 03/05/2018 21:07, Jim K wrote:
[...]

I feel sure you've got plenty of mirrors to look in.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 04/05/2018 21:30, Jim K wrote:
Richard Wrote in message:
On 04/05/18 07:28, Jim K wrote:
Richard Wrote in message:
On 03/05/18 22:47, Jim K wrote:
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 03/05/2018 21:07, Jim K wrote:
[...]

This badinage is very droll, but I'm interested to know whether you have
solved your tap problem?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2018 21:30, Jim K wrote:
Richard Wrote in message:
On 04/05/18 07:28, Jim K wrote:
Richard Wrote in message:
On 03/05/18 22:47, Jim K wrote:
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 03/05/2018 21:07, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Not yet. I was hoping someone would recognise the scenario and
share their success/failure pathways...
Simply put - where you'd normally find a screw that secures the
handle to the top of a ceramic 1/4 turn tap cartridge, there is
no screw, just an odd small central different brassy coloured bit
of metal, possibly the end of a bolt but too small to
tell.

Ring any bells with anyone?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 4 May 2018 22:21:00 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2018 21:30, Jim K wrote:
Richard Wrote in message:
On 04/05/18 07:28, Jim K wrote:
Richard Wrote in message:
On 03/05/18 22:47, Jim K wrote:
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 03/05/2018 21:07, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Seen that many times on other goods. Sounds like a hot rivet. The head is bashed down into a predetermined, usually slightly domed, shape by a ?something while hot. If that's what's going on with your tap you won't get that undone.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2018 21:30, Jim K wrote:
Richard Wrote in message:
On 04/05/18 07:28, Jim K wrote:
Richard Wrote in message:
On 03/05/18 22:47, Jim K wrote:
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 03/05/2018 21:07, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Drill? If it was a rivet....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:

This badinage is very droll, but I'm interested to know whether you have
solved your tap problem?

Not yet. I was hoping someone would recognise the scenario and
share their success/failure pathways...
Simply put - where you'd normally find a screw that secures the
handle to the top of a ceramic 1/4 turn tap cartridge, there is
no screw, just an odd small central different brassy coloured bit
of metal, possibly the end of a bolt but too small to
tell.

Ring any bells with anyone?

Seen that many times on other goods. Sounds like a hot rivet. The head is bashed down into a predetermined, usually slightly domed, shape by a ?something while hot. If that's what's going on with your tap you won't get that undone.

NT

Drill? If it was a rivet....

Of course, but going through the same hot rivetting process again afterwards isn't too practical. Just replace it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2018 07:59, Tim+ wrote:

Um, you?re the one with the weird tap with no head screw. How about a
picture of what IS under the centre cap?

Or even a picture of the whole assembly

Similar to this

https://www.wolseley.co.uk/product/n...dual-control-m
onobloc-basin-mixer-chrome-plated/

The valve shroud sections on mine are a bit longer but essentially
looks same.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2018 18:50, Jim K wrote:
Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2018 07:59, Tim+ wrote:

Um, you?re the one with the weird tap with no head screw. How about a
picture of what IS under the centre cap?

Or even a picture of the whole assembly

Similar to this

https://www.wolseley.co.uk/product/n...dual-control-m
onobloc-basin-mixer-chrome-plated/

The valve shroud sections on mine are a bit longer but essentially
looks same.

What happens if you unscrew the shroud - does the handle move up with
it? [Could there be something inside the shroud which is holding the
handle on?]

Either way, does the shroud slide up the handle stem far enough to allow
you to get a spanner of the valve, and unscrew it from the tap body?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills Wrote in message:
On 05/05/2018 18:50, Jim K wrote:
Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2018 07:59, Tim+ wrote:

Um, you?re the one with the weird tap with no head screw. How about a
picture of what IS under the centre cap?

Or even a picture of the whole assembly

Similar to this

https://www.wolseley.co.uk/product/n...dual-control-m
onobloc-basin-mixer-chrome-plated/

The valve shroud sections on mine are a bit longer but essentially
looks same.

What happens if you unscrew the shroud - does the handle move up with
it? [Could there be something inside the shroud which is holding the
handle on?]

Not sure if shroud screws on or not, the target valve's shroud is
loose/rattly but no further clues!

Either way, does the shroud slide up the handle stem far enough to allow
you to get a spanner of the valve, and unscrew it from the tap body?

Nope. The other valve's shroud does not have any slack whatsoever.
It appears to be held on by the tap handle assembly so cannot
slide anywhere that I can see.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2018 07:59, Tim+ wrote:

Um, you?re the one with the weird tap with no head screw. How about a
picture of what IS under the centre cap?

Or even a picture of the whole assembly

Similar to this

https://www.wolseley.co.uk/product/n...dual-control-m
onobloc-basin-mixer-chrome-plated/

The valve shroud sections on mine are a bit longer but essentially
looks same.

Well your reluctance to actually post an image of *your* tap isnt helping
but it looks a bit like a security hex head screw securing the tap handle.
https://goo.gl/images/88oLZ7

Then again, maybe you dont really want any help and are just trolling. I
really cant be bothered speculating further until you post a photo.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
Jim K wrote:
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2018 07:59, Tim+ wrote:

Um, you?re the one with the weird tap with no head screw. How about a
picture of what IS under the centre cap?

Or even a picture of the whole assembly

Similar to this

https://www.wolseley.co.uk/product/n...dual-control-m
onobloc-basin-mixer-chrome-plated/

The valve shroud sections on mine are a bit longer but essentially
looks same.

Well your reluctance to actually post an image of *your* tap isn?t helping
but it looks a bit like a security hex head screw securing the tap handle.
https://goo.gl/images/88oLZ7

Esp?

Then again, maybe you don?t really want any help and are just trolling. I
really can?t be bothered speculating further until you post a photo.

As you clearly have no experience of what I am dealing with that's
absolutely ok with me.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
Tim+ Wrote in message:
Jim K wrote:
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2018 07:59, Tim+ wrote:

Um, you?re the one with the weird tap with no head screw. How about a
picture of what IS under the centre cap?

Or even a picture of the whole assembly

Similar to this

https://www.wolseley.co.uk/product/n...dual-control-m
onobloc-basin-mixer-chrome-plated/

The valve shroud sections on mine are a bit longer but essentially
looks same.

Well your reluctance to actually post an image of *your* tap isn?t helping
but it looks a bit like a security hex head screw securing the tap handle.
https://goo.gl/images/88oLZ7

Esp?

Then again, maybe you don?t really want any help and are just trolling. I
really can?t be bothered speculating further until you post a photo.

As you clearly have no experience of what I am dealing with that's
absolutely ok with me.

Well its a bit difficult without a photo and a vague description, still,
your call.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 3 May 2018 21:07:17 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jim K
wrote:

[...]

What was revealed when you unscrewed the crossbars? Did the crossbars
end in a screw that came from a screw hole in the handle, or did they
have a screw hole in the end that came from a screw sticking out of
the handle? If the former, perhaps you have to unscrew all four to
release the tap.

Other makes of tap have a grub screw low down on the side of the
handle. As the tap is only quarter turn maybe the screw never comes
into your view.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
Jim K wrote:
Tim+ Wrote in message:
Jim K wrote:
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2018 07:59, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

Vague? I think you fancy yourself as a troll sometimes...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes, as per op I unscrewed 2 of the 4 bars (which ended in a
threaded section), but the remaining pair did not want to
move.

Other makes of tap have a grub screw low down on the side of the
handle. As the tap is only quarter turn maybe the screw never comes
into your view.

Another possibility, thanks.

--
Jim K