Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Protecting outdoor bolts

Hi All

I am restoring a bench where all the metal fixings had rusted. Some joints have large barrel nuts and bolts and others bolts and inset nuts.

I was thinking of putting something on them before refitting to try and protect them. I had a few thoughts...
- use something like vasaline but guess the oil would ingress into the wood.
- paint them before they go in.
- given they are all M8 the rust is probably superficial anyway so only need to deal with the thread to tighten if necessary at some other point.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prolong the life of this?

Thanks in advance

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yeah exactly. I couldn't find any stainless steel ones. These will all be internal hence the question. Externally I have done nuts which are stainless steel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

I am restoring a bench where all the metal fixings had rusted. Some
joints have large barrel nuts and bolts and others bolts and inset nuts.

I was thinking of putting something on them before
refitting to try and protect them. I had a few thoughts...
- use something like vasaline but guess the oil would ingress into the
wood.

and wouldnt last that long.

- paint them before they go in.

Likely the paint will get damaged installing them.

- given they are all M8 the rust is probably superficial anyway so only
need
to deal with the thread to tighten if necessary at some other point.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prolong the life of this?

Why not use stainless steel bolts ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 25 April 2018 19:54:49 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi All

I am restoring a bench where all the metal fixings had rusted. Some joints have large barrel nuts and bolts and others bolts and inset nuts.

I was thinking of putting something on them before refitting to try and protect them. I had a few thoughts...
- use something like vasaline but guess the oil would ingress into the wood.
- paint them before they go in.
- given they are all M8 the rust is probably superficial anyway so only need to deal with the thread to tighten if necessary at some other point.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prolong the life of this?

Thanks in advance

Lee.

For the threads use engine oil. For the external metal, paint. (Oil also works somewhat if you don't mind a rustic look & greasy finish.)

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

get galvanised hardware.
Use Stainless hardware
Lastly if you paint them it will come off when the nuts tighten and
eventually rust. I am thinking about what we use to fit tv aerials, badly
plated hardware corrodes very fast and eventually falls to bits as
effectively there is no thread, just the rust holding stuff together.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
Hi All

I am restoring a bench where all the metal fixings had rusted. Some joints
have large barrel nuts and bolts and others bolts and inset nuts.

I was thinking of putting something on them before refitting to try and
protect them. I had a few thoughts...
- use something like vasaline but guess the oil would ingress into the
wood.
- paint them before they go in.
- given they are all M8 the rust is probably superficial anyway so only
need to deal with the thread to tighten if necessary at some other point.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prolong the life of this?

Thanks in advance

Lee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Hi All

I am restoring a bench where all the metal fixings had rusted. Some
joints have large barrel nuts and bolts and others bolts and inset nuts.

I was thinking of putting something on them before refitting to try and
protect them. I had a few thoughts... - use something like vasaline but
guess the oil would ingress into the wood. - paint them before they go
in. - given they are all M8 the rust is probably superficial anyway so
only need to deal with the thread to tighten if necessary at some other
point.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prolong the life of this?

Thanks in advance

About the only thing that will keep rust at bay for a long time on steel
is galvanising. You can buy kits to DIY this - but you could have problems
with threads etc.

I'd replace all you can with stainless and get the rest in ordinary and
paint it.

--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
I've got a cheap "stainless steel" Ebay gate stay that has quite a lot
of surface rust after a year outside. It actually looked like SS when
new. No metallurgical tests performed, maybe it is some kind of SS?

You can get surface rust on low grade SS - but it should take a long time
to get really bad, unlike MS.

--
*Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

On 26/04/2018 12:07, Roger Hayter wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

wrote:
Hi All

I am restoring a bench where all the metal fixings had rusted. Some
joints have large barrel nuts and bolts and others bolts and inset
nuts.

I was thinking of putting something on them before refitting to try
and
protect them. I had a few thoughts...
- use something like vasaline but guess the oil would ingress into the
wood. - paint them before they go in. - given they are all M8 the rust
is probably superficial anyway so only need to deal with the thread to
tighten if necessary at some other point.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prolong the life of this?

Get some stainless steel nuts and bolts! :-)

They are surprisingly cheap now if you shop around (e.g. suppliers on
eBay)

I've got a cheap "stainless steel" Ebay gate stay that has quite a lot
of surface rust after a year outside. It actually looked like SS when
new. No metallurgical tests performed, maybe it is some kind of SS?

It happens if the alloy levels are too low; although unsightly, it
should still last much longer than mild steel. Abrade periodically with
steel wool and a bit of 3 in 1. (Or wet and dry plus oil, if the
geometry is more favourable for that).

I only got stainless because I find such maintenance too boring! (I
think I'm beginning to sound like Hucker - another visit from the troll
fairy seems imminent.)

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
I've got a cheap "stainless steel" Ebay gate stay that has quite a lot
of surface rust after a year outside. It actually looked like SS when
new. No metallurgical tests performed, maybe it is some kind of SS?

You can get surface rust on low grade SS - but it should take a long time
to get really bad, unlike MS.

Thanks. I think I shall describe it as a patina.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
FMurtz wrote:
I think my computer has invisible letters in it because everything I
type is ignored so must be invisible,It must be because it originates in
Australia and can not be read in the UK Other than stainless or
galvanized bolts and even with, my suggestion of nickel or bronze anti
seize is probably one of the best solutions.

Not sure I'd want any grease on a garden seat, though. A decent thread
sealer which sets hard would prevent it seizing, though, and not get onto
clothes. But you've still got the problem of the bits on show looking
rusty.

--
*What do little birdies see when they get knocked unconscious? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks all for your suggestions. The visible bits are stainless. Besides the thread bar, the rest I couldn't find as stainless.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I just checked the insert nuts and barrel nuts (everything else is stainless steel) and they are zinc plated. Does this mean that the galvanising spray won't add anything to it?

I was thinking that ideally I would have something I could paint on the barrel nuts before inserting and then maybe pour into the hole once tigtened. The insert nut is more tricky as even if I paint it it is likely to scrape off when putting into the wood and also when the thread bar is inserted. Better than nothing I guess but not ideal. I could pour something down the thread I guess but would this have any real impact given thread itself is stainless steel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Forgot to mention I have some red oxide paint left over from some building work. Would this be suitable?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 28 April 2018 07:45:41 UTC+1, wrote:
Forgot to mention I have some red oxide paint left over from some building work. Would this be suitable?

if it's oil or solvent based

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I just checked the insert nuts and barrel nuts (everything else is
stainless steel) and they are zinc plated. Does this mean that the
galvanising spray won't add anything to it?

I was thinking that ideally I would have something I could paint on the
barrel nuts before inserting and then maybe pour into the hole once
tigtened. The insert nut is more tricky as even if I paint it it is
likely to scrape off when putting into the wood and also when the thread
bar is inserted. Better than nothing I guess but not ideal. I could pour
something down the thread I guess but would this have any real impact
given thread itself is stainless steel

If you want to prevent the threads seizing through rust, use a thread
sealer. For car engines, etc.

--
*I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
wrote:
I just checked the insert nuts and barrel nuts (everything else is
stainless steel) and they are zinc plated. Does this mean that the
galvanising spray won't add anything to it?

I was thinking that ideally I would have something I could paint on the
barrel nuts before inserting and then maybe pour into the hole once
tigtened. The insert nut is more tricky as even if I paint it it is
likely to scrape off when putting into the wood and also when the thread
bar is inserted. Better than nothing I guess but not ideal. I could pour
something down the thread I guess but would this have any real impact
given thread itself is stainless steel

If you want to prevent the threads seizing through rust, use a thread
sealer. For car engines, etc.

Or the exact opposite - coppaslip.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I just checked the insert nuts and barrel nuts (everything else is
stainless steel) and they are zinc plated. Does this mean that the
galvanising spray won't add anything to it?

I was thinking that ideally I would have something I could paint on the
barrel nuts before inserting and then maybe pour into the hole once
tigtened. The insert nut is more tricky as even if I paint it it is
likely to scrape off when putting into the wood and also when the thread
bar is inserted. Better than nothing I guess but not ideal. I could pour
something down the thread I guess but would this have any real impact
given thread itself is stainless steel

If you want to prevent the threads seizing through rust, use a thread
sealer. For car engines, etc.

Or the exact opposite - coppaslip.

As I said earlier, many wouldn't want grease on something you sit on. A
thread sealer sets - and once set won't mark clothes.

--
*I thought I wanted a career. Turns out I just wanted paychecks.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

The op said even earlier that the ones in question are all internal.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/